064 oiler installation with an leftover part

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I've installed my first replacement oiler, obtained from a guy I know after much delay. I have this part, which I don't know where it goes. Marked with a Stihl "S" within a box with rounded corners, followed by 1121 8 (possibly 1121 6, but I doubt it). P1070390.jpg P1070391.jpg P1070388.jpg P1070389.jpg

The end has been burnt a bit, which I hope that I can file down a bit to re-shape it.

It was two months ago that we took it apart, late one evening, but he'd lent me his ported 460 in the meanwhile, so I didn't mind. Now he's got a logging job and needed it back, and had the oiler available. (Since getting the oiler back, I found that I could have gotten it new off Ebay for cheap, oh well).

Any help appreciated.
I'm trying to learn my way deeper into a saw.

Attachments

• P1070080.jpg
    P1070080.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I deleted that last picture from a removal, but it reappeared. Ignore it. Funny, I just ran into that customer at the bank yesterday.

So original problem turned out to be the black hard plasticy hose leading from the oil pump to the outlet to the bar. It had a hole in it. So likely the oil pump was okay, but I don't think that I paid anything for the part. The guy that got it for me thought I paid him, I don't recall paying him. If I did, it was overpriced, but in any case, I'll be happy to have the saw running again.

The worm gear's wire was shot, too, so I just got a new worm gear. I'M GUESSING that the saw running with inadequate oil seems possibly to have been what burnt that "extra" piece. Dunno.

Can't see anyplace that it would go, nor have I ever seen that piece before. Its possible that it was a part laying around in his shop that made it into the ziplock bag of bolts, etc.

Is the part order

oil pump
worm gear
clutch
clutch drum

I'm thing that its a random part that is really "extra" from somewhere else, maybe???

I've changed quite a few oil pumps,never saw one of those,but then again the closest thing i changed an oil pump on to an 064 is an 066.

There is a plug that fits over the hole in the oiler pump housing where the pump shaft fits in. I suspect that is the plug. This is the oiler from a MS660 but it should be very similar. Item number 7. It just keeps crud out so the saw would work without it for a while i'm sure.

I am willing to bet it is the plug to the oiler pump....
Page 5 Part 7 in the IPL

Edit.... hahaha Brian bet me to it... :lol:

Attachments

• et_s_0010_30.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
sure looks like it. Now if only I knew if it was from the old or the new pump without having to take the clutch back off.

I put it together and it looks like its working well. Doesn't seem to have as much oil on the drivers as I'd expect when turned all the way up. Could have a plugged up pick-up body. I cleaned the bar groove and oil hole in the side of the bar. Its got an Oregon bar on it, that I'd expect to be compatible. Its an older saw that's been rode hard and put up wet. $300 with a 32" bar that needed a new nose, needing an oiler pump hose and worm gear. Wasn't expecting the world.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

A light bulb just went off .I just wonder what would happen if a second flat were cut in the pump shaft directly across from the first .

Because of the fact that flat transfers the oil from intake to outlet I just wonder if two flats would do twice as much ??? Hmm!

I've had good luck enlarging the oil hole in the bar and putting a chamfer on the side that faces the outlet. Some of the Oregon bars have the tiniest of holes. Is it the 064 that has the questionable flow pump? I enlarged the hole on one and it made a good difference.

I've enlarged the outlet hole on the pump (on an 044),and it increased the volume nicely. Unfortunately I can't recall what I enlarged it from/to,but it was not very much,.010" in dia. seems to pop into my pea-brain.
That plastic pc. is definately the plug the guys were referencing.

Steve

So I found out from the picture that the plug was not installed with the new pump. After disassembling it, I found out that the new version of the pump has a different part that replaces the plug.

I drilled the Oregon bar holes, but have yet to need the big bar, so haven't found out if that helps. If its not enough, then I will drill the oiler output hole.

I'm running canola oil. Do you guys think that its too thin for longer bars (this Oregon is 36"), otherwise it seems okay on 20" and down, and I haven't been running a 28" lately. I'm happy not breathing petro mist.

I have to run biodegradable ( as if mineral oil wasn't biodegradable, it just takes longer!) oil when logging in the state forests.
So I go through a lot of canola oil.
IMO it doesn't lubricate as well, especially on the longer bars.

Bear in mind that to me, a long bar is anything over 18".