How'd it go today?

Sir, I am very glad you and Justin liked it.

I come home from a fairly chitty day, read about Justin's incident, and idk what it is about the Treehouse, but all of a sudden I had to spend 15+ minutes typing that out. Everything else was going to have to wait lol.

The Treehouse, there just aint nothing else like it.

Yeah Gary, the guy is a trip, totally old school, and I think wise in many ways. He clears land and also has a sweet, huge low boy rig he moves heavy equipment with. He's pretty much been there/done that when it comes to all things Working Man.

Right choice, as has been said plenty, Justin.

My little bit of add-on is, that if I am holding a 3 Dcell Maglite, no dip sporting a pair of brass knuckles has a prayer of a chance.

I'd bet you would have been able to defend yourself just fine, unless the Maglite you carry in your truck is not equal to the one that resides in mine :D.

Truth though, the idea tossed out about the unknowns of weaponry possibly held by the second idiot bears deep consideration. That part could turn ugly. Even if there was nothing there but a second opponent, that totally changes the risk dynamic.

All in all, you absolutely did right.

Friend of mine in Idaho watched a car of assholes aggressively tailgating some old people, then him, in his hi-boy Ford or something. Unfortunately for them, a tow-ball and hitch doesn't GAF about the front of the tail-gaters car/ radiator/ etc, when my friend stomped on his brakes. My friend just resumed pressing the pedal on the right. Somehow, his truck just sped off. Go figure.

Well I upped my personal security again because of that incident. Packing the Canadian equivalent of heat. A knife on my belt. Plus I took Jims advice. Found a nice shortish handle falling axe that fits beside my seat in a indentation of the floor that looks like it's almost made for it. Tossed a couple wedge it's behind the seat for good measure as one never knows when you're going to need to bang over a tree or split some kindling. All legal beagle up here in canuckistan.

I keep my tire iron within reach in the truck just in case.
I'm a fan of fine knives as tools, but Idk if I could actually stab someone. Can make for a really horrifying wound, and I feel like the law might not take your side even if it was in defense.
A good clobber with a tire iron seems easier and more effective. Kinda more humane and reasonable in the eyes of the law. Maybe my way of thinking is corrupted from living in NY.

I'd slash someone before I stabbed them but maybe it's because I'm Canadian and that's all that's allowed, knives. I'd not hesitate to use a knife for self defence if I was attacked.

Chip truck got stuck in the mud today. It almost drove out till something in the powertrain broke. Any ideas? It was too dark and late to work on it.

Any similar experiences?

Years ago I learned a trick from an old black man about getting a duallie truck unstuck. If you have a 2x4 or 2x6 you want to put it in front of the rear tires and wedge it in between the tires. When you put the truck in drive and hit the gas it will pinch the board between the tires and shove it out the back, launching you out of the mud like a pole vault. That trick has gotten me unstuck more than once.

Of course it won't work if the truck breaks down. :whine:

Watching diy getting- unstuck videos is useful.

I've heard asplundh trucks are prone to snapping an axle if spinning in my and hitting the pavement... To much traction, too fast, under too much load.

It was always in the mud, but the board sounds like a good trick if a board is available. Digging the wheels out and getting a head start in the tracks behind is all we had to go on at the moment, and it was working.

I've also heard of turning a dually into a winch.

I like watching unstuck videos too.
Mud is such a rarity here...kinda need rain for it.

Stig, Sorry to hear about the return of leukemia, Hope you get the 5 year lease on life.

Butch, Thinking about you man... sorry to bring it up.

Crap.

I've had to pull the chip truck with the chipper winch -- gave it enough boost to get out of ruts. Other times, it's usually just a little light tapered digging with a short Razorback spade I keep onboard, with a sprinkling of wood chips to aid traction. Then work it like getting out of snow -- a little forward, a little back, then a little gusto forward again. Gotten stuck 2x recently with the sloppy snowmelt and gotten out like this both times. It would help matters if someone hadn't mis-ordered the rear tires and gotten steer tires by mistake. Limping by for 6 months until we'll have to change them out again.

Well I upped my personal security again because of that incident. Packing the Canadian equivalent of heat. A knife on my belt. Plus I took Jims advice. Found a nice shortish handle falling axe that fits beside my seat in a indentation of the floor that looks like it's almost made for it. Tossed a couple wedge it's behind the seat for good measure as one never knows when you're going to need to bang over a tree or split some kindling. All legal beagle up here in canuckistan.

I have a nice telescoping Lisle hood prop in the cab it looks a lot like and extendable baton but it's a hood prop, it says so right on it.

Jim, serious question.

A lot of your previous posts with regards to business have been alluding to you having a lot of difficulty keeping the show on the road.

Now you’re signing for new land.

Congratulations and all that, but how come?

Back