Woodworking

I've recently been given 2 of those Craftsman radial arm saws for free. They said the motor was bad. Pushed the little red reset button and they work perfectly. I found out if you're ripping pieces longways it will send some toward the ceiling every once in a while. My dad had to replace a set of lights not too long ago.

Yes. Ripping is scary. Two people help. I bought the saw new in 74. We did a lot of work with it. My bud more than me. He made cabinets for several kitchens.

It paid for itself. It will do the work of several other tools but not quite as well or easy as the tool made specifically for the job.

The start of a router sled to flatten slabs. Almost a 48" cut.

View attachment 91836

Peter, my friend made a sled that is to reach across the width. He mounted the sled on casters to run it lengthwise, then bump the router over with however much overlap, and do the length. Much less finishing.

Videos generally go side to side, and move a little bit down the length.

Doing some work on my old 18" drum sander, making it work a bit smoother, hope to whip off some projects quicker.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JVs_BKXGsE8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't made the bed of my router sled. Too cold to go welding outside. Gave the sled a run on some apple cookies I had. Needs to be tightened up a bit but works good. Waiting on a router bit from Amazon.

20190121_105250.jpg

Messing around with my routersled. Made a change, got rid of the rollers and just cut a groove in the puckboard router base. Less vibrations.

2ft wide by 2ft long mullberry. Worked decent. Now on to make the bed. Planning on 39" wide by 14ft long. I will use it as the bed for a bandsaw mill as well. May be a stroke sander bed as well.

20190124_103839.jpg

My router sled at work. Bought a 15 amp variable speed router from Lowes on a no tax sale. Sugar maple cookie from a stump grind job. Dried in my kiln. Flattened and rough sanded. 3ft diameter by 2.5inch thick.

20190522_154958.jpg

20190522_163353.jpg

Edit. I just noticed the stain in the center looks like a bird on a perch giving a high five.

My router sled at work. Bought a 15 amp variable speed router from Lowes on a no tax sale. Sugar maple cookie from a stump grind job. Dried in my kiln. Flattened and rough sanded. 3ft diameter by 2.5inch thick.

View attachment 94020

View attachment 94021

Edit. I just noticed the stain in the center looks like a bird on a perch giving a high five.

Hey, Peter! Very ambitious setup you are creating for yourself! May I ask, will this slab get turned into a table top, or will it serve some other purpose? Thanks in advance, and keep up the very impressive work!

Tim

About a 4ft sugar maple cookie I flattened on the router sled. Half sanded. I hope I sell some of these damn slabs soon!

20190529_151324.jpg

Back