The Official Work Pictures Thread

Uhh no. He was no garbage dog and we got raccoons up here. A plenty.

He was a funny little dog. Real machismo. Fearless.

Some yarding in a steep run off area we cleared in the past. This time just cutting some of the regrowth and yarding it down to a landing.
Portable winch down below raises and pulls the load down the high line. Porty up top on the haul back supplies friction for the raising of the load to the trolly.
Hobbs down below tensions the high line.
Some fodder. Did not get much because we have to wrap this up quick to rig down another tree over the house and move into the next job on the calendar. Seems I gave everyone Friday off... :lol: OOOOPs
IMG_1976.jpg IMG_1977.jpg IMG_1978.jpg IMG_1979.jpg
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xo7ILsP4BQ0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice Stephan. Wish I had Friday off.

Didn’t finish in the back yard today. Managed to throw a top and missed the little hemlock though. Had fun. Just ached a bit much to get in a good rhythm. There’s always Monday. We will still come in under our bid time.
5B3C9255-8285-48D5-B766-B1324ABD8CCB.jpg

You'd make a fine highlead logger Stephen!8)

:lol: Dunno about all that....but thanks.
Young man's game. I'll take that as a compliment though coming from you.
Of course I edited out the part I lost my footing while trying film it cussing and such. You can here my breathing right after the cut out from climbing back up. Damn muddy mossy rocks and oak leaves :lol:

Some old, some newish. Meghann was bored in the office so i said make a video. I thought she put music all through but maybe that glitched.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k88O_yjgvnw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Drain field near concrete patio. Rhodie near the corner of the house. Pretty open drop zone. Logs left for homeowner to cut. Short fence.

Neighboring fir was struck by lightning while homeowners watched a storm years ago. Killed both tops.

Good pushing with spikes, log rolling position.

IMG_20181210_102946670.jpg

Plywood is much lighter on top. Add all the gear on top, drive to tree. This was on the way out. On the way in, I had two saws, gas, oil, rope, saddle, rope, spurs, flipline, rakes.
IMG_20181212_115851427_HDR.jpg

Right-hand Mannie.

IMG_20181212_113902236.jpg

Unfold the tray after the double-top drop.

IMG_20181210_153607281.jpg

Yay, More Chipping! ~15 yards left onsite for landscape mulch. 2 men on ground.
IMG_20181210_153843993.jpg

Magic Cut

IMG_20181212_144521559.jpg

Full-gap face-cut, double-cut with 28", with offset/ obtuse snipe to kick to side, away from the fence.

IMG_20181212_152622866.jpg

Hemlock like to grow in "stilts" on stumps and in a row on a log.

Stalled on tiny hinge wood, nipping fence-side corner.

IMG_20181212_152746993.jpg

IMG_20181212_154305410_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181213_150806519.jpg

Close to finished in front.

Three neglected fruit trees, some Grand fir and a cedar canopy raise.

IMG_20181213_150658509.jpg

Looked an awful lot like a boxcut to me Mick.

They are supposed to bend further, and hold to the stump more tenaciously than other triangular face cuts.

First demonstrated for me by a third generation logger outta Auberry CA.

Jomo

Full-Gap, with an obtuse/ offset snipe (sloping cut that doesn't create the hinge in any way), aka "a Kicker".

The snipe is just opening the facecut-angle, so the fence side closes and breaks first. Tall hinge, about 6" or so. Give more flex.

Basically the cut used a lot on some big modern redwoods.

Way easier to double-cut than a conventional/ humboldt face-cut.
Two horizontal, parellel cuts, equally deep, then bore into the face from the front, and split out the face-cut with a wedge, or just use the 'gentle-persuader' alone (the ax in this case...sidenote, we used to have a 15 pound sledgehammer on the trail crew...the original gentle-persuader' for persuading granite).

If you have a straight-grained tree narrower than your bar, you can just bore-in with the saw vertical, establishing the front of your hinge, then cut two parellel, horizontal kerfs. The piece will come right out. Easy to see where to cut more.

The snipe, if parellel to the hinge, just opens up the angle of the face, allowing much more tilt.

Jerry used this on his 7' redwood top.

It, like the Magic Cut, are way easier for blocking down big, vertical wood.

This block stalled on the closed face, as the weight was very balanced. I tipped it by hand, even.
If my hinge had held on the fence side, but not the off-fence side, I could have been in trouble. Magic Cuts have no hinge to break irregularly. In this case, I was in no way scaring the fence. Big dropzone. I was dumping it onto logs, though, for easier bucking, so a bit of a specific layout to aim to hit.

This was the quick and easy answer to double-cutting a big tree with a small bar--28".

Easier to cut than a one accurate wedge, all the way across a hollow stump.

Honestly, Magic Cuts, so long as you have a sharp saw, and don't open the face up to the sky, are way faster than deep-facecuts.

28" bar, about a 40" wide cut, maybe more.

I just got a 42" bar, but it's on my 661 on the chainsaw mill/ milling chain.

Since I'm not bucking anything, the 461 is all I needed on this job. Even if I changed for a 36" bar, I'd be chasing the cut. 28" was plenty, in the tree.

Back