Looking for a climber in NH

mcdonder

Treehouser
Hi, I am looking for a climber in or near southern New Hampshire (03868) to take me on as an apprentice. I have been climbing trees several months on my own property doing some removals and pruning and really want to get into the trade professionally. The only problem is I am only available one day a week right now (doesn't matter which day, self employed) so no established companies want to take me on. If I'm getting real experience in a tree, I'll work for free. I'm young, motivated, safety oriented, and have all my own equipment so hopefully this will sound like a deal to someone.

Thanks,
Derek

Wasn't Randy in NH? He was a part timer, I think??? Maybe they could work something out. I"d have to do some research to track Randy down in the TH archives...have not seen him post in awhile.

Randy went by NHlocal / Randy

Mcdonder...do some searches in the TreeHouse and find his posts...may be a clue as to how to track him down...FaceBook maybe?

Did you talk to Mark P from Renaissance acres tree out of weare nh? He had kind of a small outfit. If you're willing to commit to full work week, Dan Mello from seacoast tree care was looking for groundies earlier this year. I did a trial work day with him a few years ago and was really impressed with his setup.

Like Butch said, no one really needs a 1 day a week trainee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, Derek. I doubt anyone would hire you with your availability.

Good luck!

Did you talk to Mark P from Renaissance acres tree out of weare nh? He had kind of a small outfit. If you're willing to commit to full work week, Dan Mello from seacoast tree care was looking for groundies earlier this year. I did a trial work day with him a few years ago and was really impressed with his setup.

Like Butch said, no one really needs a 1 day a week trainee

Haven't contact Renaissance Acres yet, Weare is pretty far though. I realize its a long shot to find someone willing to try this out but it doesn't hurt to try!

I worked for Southeast Tree in the 70's while going to college. The boss let me work around my school schedule...I usually worked 2 days per week. I barely knew how to climb but they took me on and learned me some. You may find the right guy, too. Good luck.

One day per week, free work, there are people who will go for that. I would want you to work with me if you were near me. Accept I wouldn't let you work for free.

You're selling yourself. If your sales pitch doesn't work, change it up and try again.

At any rate welcome Derek.

So in concidering adjusting your marketing.....most people are clever enough for instance that they wouldn't want to just train their competition up to have you leave in a short time and be bidding on the same jobs. Even that can be worked out, I know 3 brothers with 3 different tree businesses within 5 miles of one another that rarely look at the same jobs.

If someone says no, make sure you respectfully find out what has them say no.

Just put yourself in an employer's shoes.

How much can be done with someone just once a week?

I think trying to find a climber that is self employed is my best bet. Do you think I would have a better chance if I took a 1-2 week working vacation and told a company I just wanted to get a feel for the work? Only downside of that is I will likely just do ground work.

I could use a dependable set of hands, one day a week.

Its going to be a slower learning curve, in that you will not retain as much, week to week,

a faster learning curve, because you study at home, with a vested interest, and you are not tired from a long week of tree work,

or somewhere in between.

If I was to be approached by someone, I'd much rather hear the person offering...

I know: A, B, C, D, E.
I think the next important things to learn are: X, Y, and Z.

I've been reading: blah blah blah
My target work area is zip code, (where I own a house/ kids go to school) and the surrounding 20 miles, and you live 50 miles away.

I bought my chipper from a guy who would absolutely not sell it to anyone in his area. I came from 100 miles away, and got a good deal.

I had a guy from the neighboring town approach me with this situation. He worked for another company for 8 months to learn and copy. He works in my area. I may sub clean-up/ grinding to him. I don't want to show him all my tricks, and have him bidding low on jobs to get established, pulling down the market value.

P.S. The ideal candidate will be reliable, know that it goes a long way to get to work 5-10 minutes early and surf for 5-10 minutes. My guys get paid anytime they want to start working, be it half an hour early, or 5 minutes, or whatever time we agreed on.
They will have healthy food and beverages for the day.
They will be safety-oriented.
No cigarettes.

Most days of the week, I can have 10 get-er-dun laborer guys who plan to show up in the morning on time, probably on-time, or not. No thank you. Too much liability.

Have you seen the How to Be an Excellent Groundman article on the homepage?

I appreciate the feedback and you make some really good points. Also, that article had a ton of great info in it. I hadn't seen it before so thanks for mentioning it.

I missed the free work comment, shouldn't be too hard to find someone and call it an internship... What town are you actually in?

Also Northeast shade tree send like a cool company, they haven't done a crazy cable system on a horse Chestnut planted in 1776 in Portsmouth

I missed the free work comment, shouldn't be too hard to find someone and call it an internship... What town are you actually in?

Also Northeast shade tree send like a cool company, they haven't done a crazy cable system on a horse Chestnut planted in 1776 in Portsmouth

I'm in Rochester NH, about 35 minutes north of Portsmouth. I hadn't heard of them before but I will look them up. Thank you.

Randy went by NHlocal / Randy

Mcdonder...do some searches in the TreeHouse and find his posts...may be a clue as to how to track him down...FaceBook maybe?

NHlocal / Randy posts on youtube. ( "NHlocal" i.e. New Hampshire local )
You may find contact info there.

Back