Stihl 500i

The Greek has 2 NIB to ship in. = Couple of MS500i Stihl saws for sale PHO. Gotta have $1300 a piece for them shipped.

Kevin: Thank you so much for the info regarding the sawbuilder guy. I'm looking to get a 572 built, and I'll definitely bear him in mind. West Coast Saw builds ridiculous monsters, but he wants an arm and a leg like Jack (hotsaws101).

Mick: The first Husq. 540t auto-tunes were some of the wretchedest saws a man could ever hope to waste $800.00 on. Having said that... Stihl generally pirates all of Husqvarna's air-flow tech, Husqvarnas have way better ergonomics for PNW long-bar set-ups, and Husqvarna designs generally place the weight of the motor much closer to the operator's body, thus saving-out the operator's back with their more streamline designs (the 390's a bit boxy) than their much boxier Stihl counterparts.

Interesting viewpoint Jed.

I had an early 540, nice saw, but the chainbrake broke and to replace it I needed to buy a new engine casing, so I sold it on.

I had one too. And it was the single worst saw I ever owned. I traded it in still under warranty. Only saw I've ever done that with. Total pos, never ran right. No matter how many hoops and trips to the shop I jumped through.

Guy I know that works at stihl dealer said they had 4 official US versions at dealers to check out now.
He posted this last week. Forgot to update here.

Seems like an insult instead of a prize since it sits there taunting you that you don't have the real deal stihl 500i.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some fine pictures in that thread.

I’ve got the 2nd saw from the Stihl rep so got to try it out for a few days the other week although not really in anything you would normally run it in. Small job clearing under storey and felling small diameter hardwood material on a bank for a harvester to roll through the head and process.
1st thing is it’s is so light for a saw of that engine size, I alternated with a Husqvarna 560 and didn’t notice the difference (560 running an 18” bar and the 500i on a 20”) and as the bank was steep in places I would only have ran a 50-60cc saw for the size of material and for weight saving.
2nd thing - acceleration, it does pick up immediately and on some of these trees you could power straight through and fetch them off in one no problem.
I did fell one 2ft plus Doug fir and bore it and set a hinge it was quickly done and then delimbing the log at the bottom for the harvester the saw was easy to throw around and power off the hairy knotty branches.
On the negative side i thought that the fuel cap let through a lot of fine particles that sat down inside the neck of the tank and were hard to stop from falling into the tank when refilling even if you tried to clean them.
I also thought the anti vibe springs felt a little spongey to me and Wonder what they would be like on big hardwood (maybe Stig can fill us in more?)but I’ve never been a fan of Stihl rapid super (full chisel) and think it’s too aggressive and judders particularly on Beech and Ash so maybe the chain doesn’t help for me?
As it’s not my saw so not 100% of what it’s done before or exactly how it looked(it isn’t knocked about or that cold) I felt the finish was poor and the joints between the panels of the top cover and back handle opened to allow ingress of dust so would be interested to know from a long term user how it’s faring up.
Overall I can see big potential for guys wanting light weight and power particularly up the tree sectioning down or covering poor ground and only wanting to carry one saw and guys over here felling outside trees and oversized on harvesting sites. Can’t really give fuel economy as it was cutting small diameter so seemed thirsty on fills but in all honesty it’s not the saw you would choose for what I did.
Hopefully I may get to try it on material suited for it better and get a better idea on fuel and proper power!

Thank you so much Husky. You can have absolutely no idea how much that means to me since, as a West Coast American... I am likely to actually have the saw in my hands around the time that you folks are on the 2nd upgrade! :lol: God Bless America... Land of the German and Swedish dependent!:|:

I would assume squishy, like you'll max out the anti vibe travel easily before transferring much force to the bar. I've had a few like that. A dull chain seemingly amplifies the effect because it isn't as responsive to changes in pressure. Husqvarna ranchers and the Stihl equivalent I think can be a bit squishy with long bars.

Yes, sorry guys. Spongey meaning squishy or soft and I felt that I got vibration back through more than other saws I’ve ran but need to run it more to see if I’m imagining things!

Waiting oh so patiently for its arrival. I’ve been promised a demo when it hits stateside. We will see if the reps pull through.

That is sure a nice looking saw body; small for the displacement. I sure don't NEED one...but need and want are pretty interchangeable for me, these days :P.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't need one either, Burnham.
I simply couldn't help myself once I tried it.

My mate has been running the 500i I’ve been lent for the last few weeks and today he said he’s really impressed with it. Not really heavier than a 60cc saw but with very quick acceleration and the ability to turn a longer bar he said he’s probably going to buy one and he’s a dyed in the wool Husky user. What have I done:cry::lol:

Back