The Valdotain Tresse - VT and XT Climbing Hitch

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vLWLfZSwdH4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am going to bite on your post to get move views :P

This is my oldie but a goodie on a VT for my daze as a tree mensch in Krautland..... back when I was you and had dreams.... and all my hair :cry:

My friend swears that, "The Nut," is much better due to far less, "set-back." What say the educated??

In the case of both hitches, it depends on the length of the legs from the last turn/crossover to the tending pulley. Longer has more setback. Shorter is best, of course.

Can someone give me a phonetic spelling of the valdotain pronunciation?

Is it "val doe tane?" 3 syllables?

I've heard it as such, or val da Tain.

VT is so easy to spell.

Thanks, Patrick. I've not seen a video of the XT.

I usually bring the top leg over on the first braid, not under. I'll try your example, and the XT. I using it on my 15' Flipline and don't see going back to a mechanical ascender, unless I've got mad pitch to deal with.

SoftVapidKob.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've heard it as such, or val da Tain.

VT is so easy to spell.

Thanks, Patrick. I've not seen a video of the XT.

I usually bring the top leg over on the first braid, not under. I'll try your example, and the XT. I using it on my 15' Flipline and don't see going back to a mechanical ascender, unless I've got mad pitch to deal with.

Thanks Sean, it's surprising how much of a difference it makes to bring the top leg underneath the bottom leg, it really makes the hitch far more reliable, without sacrificing much in the way of smoothness. It's a win-win. Try it out!

Good stuff. I have not tied my VT that way but it seems to make more sense. I'll try it out Monday

Interesting. Excellent video! I, too, have always gone "over" on the first cross. Will try it next time out.

I haven’t watched it yet but I will, this is actually one hitch I’ve just never tried. Went straight from a Blake’s to a michoacan to my hitch hiker. Recently got a rope wrench so I might try experimenting a little now

I haven’t watched it yet but I will, this is actually one hitch I’ve just never tried. Went straight from a Blake’s to a michoacan to my hitch hiker. Recently got a rope wrench so I might try experimenting a little now

Kevin B's avatar has some different hitch. Might be better.

My friend swears that, "The Nut," is much better due to far less, "set-back." What say the educated??

The knut Jed! I like it, burns out a cord faster than the vt or xt, but more reliable grab and less set back for sure

Kevin B's avatar has some different hitch. Might be better.
Yea looks interesting, kinda like a 5 wrap xt without the bottom crossovers. I’ll play with it and post back but maybe he can chime in and say what it is. Is there a way to tag people in posts here like they do on the buzz?

That's it, I used it a lot. It was my favorite after my initial trials at my beginnings.

Then I discovered the HH and put it's knot on all my ropes, even without the HH.

....Then I discovered the HH and put it's knot on all my ropes, even without the HH.

This.^ Using the most compact knot that you can get to function smoothly and reliably will in most cases give the least amount of set-back. Set-back is not much of a problem in an MRS but is in an SRS.

The hh uses a helical knot I believe (a variation because of the holes). I use it on everything now, absolutely love it, super compact, easy to tie, infinitely adjustable, and don't need spliced eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you post a pic of the helical knot that you are using with the HH. I have one coming in the mail, should be here any day. I'm itching to try it out.

I don't have a hh, I run a rope wrench, but the hh knot is basically several wraps terminating on the sides, with the top wrap pulled down over the knot (hh users correct me if I'm wrong). The helical is several wraps terminated usually with a bowline, and then they use the tail for a tie in. I use a slipknot for the tie in, several wraps, then the bowline to terminate. It removes all the slack from the lower tie in, and basically all you have left is the knot itself, which is adjustable from the bowline (if it slips or is too tight, you just adjust the bowline knot. Here's a picture of how I run it on a lanyard I use in construction, better pics to follow with better rope. 20170803_225052.jpg

The reason I like it so much is that it's super compact, infinitely adjustable, and since you are tying into the loop part, you don't need spliced or tied eyes. It's definitely not my invention, but I can't remember where I saw it to send you to the proper source. It's the best thing below a wrench too, because it's so short and has little sitback

Back