How'd it go today?

My friend was buried deep in mud, in Illinois, where chains are illegal. He built some for one tire, and drive right out.

Chains must must must be tight. I've fixed others' snafus, one they ripped the brake line off, the other time 1/4" to ripping it off.

Put then in right, tight, and readjust a time or two, and you're still high-center-fire, but the traction is killer.

SOME people delete the tires a bit, install, reinflate (or used to, for long term use).

Last them out straight, neatly without twists, drive into them before getting stuck, and install them.

I had a rear wheel drive van in the Rockies and Sierras.

Chain or cables ( some cars) kill it.

Link chain and quick/ screw links. You have to get them as tight as possible, and typically there is an elastic that will help them sit straightest, by keeping a little tension on them. The structure is the chain and closure mechanism, the gravy is the elastic, in case you don't know. I never knew when in IL.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NSRxhvufvmw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did some slow driving to beat the inches of snow coming. Had to get my dually and chipper home. Dually tires are not great. Normally, there is no need to drive it in snow. I had delays this morning that pushed me into a little snow driving...luckily, my first day of Driver's Ed in Chicago was in 6" of snow, so I have some experience.

This was a link in Sean's vid, it is outrageous.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t_YWTpz-0Yg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That vid had me hollering Ohhhhhh!!!!!! at almost every clip

The very first clip in that loading/unloading vid.....I watched a friend do that. Think I described it on here before. Knocked him unconscious broke his nose and cheekbone and punched two deep holes in his face.

You'd think with all that money or toys they could afford a winch...

Only if you are experienced enough or are smart enough to realize you need one :).

As an ATV and snowmobile instructor, I can unequivocally say that by far there are more injury and even death accidents that occur in loading or unloading than occur in actual riding. Worth noting that the loading/unloading is a tiny fraction of the hours spent on these off road vehicles. It is far and away the most dangerous part of their use.

Richard and I had a couple of funny jobs today.

Job #1 was to remove a Rook colony and put up a full size plasic figure of a great horned owl, with swiveling head and all.
That'll keep them from coming back.

In fact I just got a SMS from the client, saying the Rooks had been back and took off promptly.

The client is the partner of our veterinarian friend.
He has done tons of work on the doggies for free, nice to do some payback.

Then we had to drop a huge, front leaning Willow and a large front leaning Horse chestnut in a wide open yard for another guy.
We've been referred to him by the local State forest forester.

I dropped the Willow, Richard the Chestnut.
Took all of 20 minutes.

Easy money for the travel fund.:)

No duh.
:D

Raj, I thought of another semi-important tip. You'll need to take a few moments to lay each chain out flat on the ground beside the tire it's for, spread it all out smooth, straighten out any twists and tangles that inevitably occur when you toss them in whatever storage situation you use. Mounting a chain with any twists or crossovers is begging for two things...1) a fit that is not possible to make closed, 'cause the unsmooth chain is shorter than the smooth one; and 2) a broken chain, should you run on a crossed up set.

And when you are done with them for more than a day or two, hang them up in a dry place over a few days so they can dry out well before storage. Otherwise you get a rusty mess to handle next time out. They'll self clean next time down the road for any significant distance, no permanent damage, but clean chains are much more pleasant to work with at installation time.

Thanks for the tips. Do you guys oil them before seasonal storage? I was thinking ammo can in the storage boxes on the trucks. I ended up getting chains for all four corners of each trucks. The chip truck is the main concern, even tho it's four wheel drive, it doesn't take much to get it stuck.

Got a text while I was at dinner last night asking if I was available for an emergency tree removal. Tree was uprooting. Before I could respond another one came through that said never mind, can you come get it out of the house? Heading in on a Sunday to do just that.

Geez!!

It was cold as fuh out this morning at 9am: 21 (EAST COAST ;)) degrees. Ground frozen solid after mini mud season earlier this week

Thanks for the tips. Do you guys oil them before seasonal storage? I was thinking ammo can in the storage boxes on the trucks. I ended up getting chains for all four corners of each trucks. The chip truck is the main concern, even tho it's four wheel drive, it doesn't take much to get it stuck.

I haven't and mine are rusty as f-ck so it might not be a bad idea?

Dang Rich hope you are getting some good pay for a Sunday. And that the job goes easy for yah.

Back