Animated GIF Thread 2019

At an educated guess, I'd posit...no more logging and subsequently no more mill. An old story all over the PNW.

Environmentalism run amuck.

Where'd that big dog one go. :scratch: Or was it in another thread?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="nBvNGzy"><a href="//imgur.com/nBvNGzy">This BIG cat is a liger.</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Drug companies made a brazilian dollars pushing opiods. Insurance, too.

The banks destroyed the world economy causing a real estate crash, that whole Great Recession thing. A lot less demand when nobody is building. Less logging. Logging made less money. The mill shutdown to re-tool, and let a contract on union labor run-out, or something, something, something.

Shelton is about the last main commuter town before getting well more onto the Olympic Peninsula, where population is scarcer. Its 30 minutes drive or so to the Capitol in Oly, where jobs are available. People commute up to 2 hours a day, each way to Seattle, if you can believe that.

Shelton was depending on the mill and logging. Now there is destitution, surely prostitution for drugs, people 'jaw-ing' like crazy, no teeth. Scummy adults riding bmx bikes, a great, cheap criminal transportation tool. No lights in the middle of the night while casing and breaking into houses and cars for drug money.

Black market drugs, economic depression, lack of opportunities, and lack of substance abuse and mental health treatment.

Unfortunately quite common all over this great land. When the jobs leave that's all that's left...

Drug companies made a brazilian dollars pushing opiods. Insurance, too.

The banks destroyed the world economy causing a real estate crash, that whole Great Recession thing. A lot less demand when nobody is building. Less logging. Logging made less money. The mill shutdown to re-tool, and let a contract on union labor run-out, or something, something, something.

Shelton is about the last main commuter town before getting well more onto the Olympic Peninsula, where population is scarcer. Its 30 minutes drive or so to the Capitol in Oly, where jobs are available. People commute up to 2 hours a day, each way to Seattle, if you can believe that.

Shelton was depending on the mill and logging. Now there is destitution, surely prostitution for drugs, people 'jaw-ing' like crazy, no teeth. Scummy adults riding bmx bikes, a great, cheap criminal transportation tool. No lights in the middle of the night while casing and breaking into houses and cars for drug money.

Black market drugs, economic depression, lack of opportunities, and lack of substance abuse and mental health treatment.

Shit son, sounds like you moved to .CA:lol:

Today, I heard night time in Shelton is like a Zombie Apocalypse.

Talked to a guy last night who started climbing on a tree crew up in Issaquah who seemed to have tweeky employees, with one about to start a fight with him on his first day.

Thanks for the detailed response, Sean. I didn't think environmentalism had played a huge role.

Sounds like a real party over there, especially adults riding 2 wheeled crime buggies

I'd effin' move if I had that scene to deal with, Sean. Take the sweet little Ms. D with me...and her momma/your ex, if it had to come to that. Cannot be a great place to raise a child, seems like.

Shit, I don't live there!!!!!!!!!

I'm the worst house in the best neighborhood, my neighbors put $50K into their backyard hardscaping and have a serious horse arena. The others are daughter and SIL to a major builder in town, who work for the family biz. His fancy race car goes in a huge enclosed trailer behind their big motor home. My nextdoor neighbor's home is on the market for $550K. My old neighbor, the retired logger, literally has the worst house in our 'neighborhood' of 10 houses, not me, truth be told. Mine's not fancy, small 3br/ 2 ba, and 20 years old.

That's the town down the road. A solid distance away. I have done about 2 jobs, and one consult in that town over the years.

I have Rez land up the street a bit. Some problems of some low-lives who burgle houses and run back to the Rez. The Sherriff is spread thin, especially with how the shape of the land is. I am about 4 miles as the crow flies, I'd guess, from a friend's, across the water. 30 minute drive.

Now, this little rez up the way is no big deal, on the whole. Great fireworks for the whities. A bit of run-down housing visible from the road for a tiny stretch, but largely 5 acre parcels, and being a long and narrow peninsula, lots of waterfront.

If you want to be dead, go to a lot of other rez's at night. Skokomish Indians Rez at night, good place to disappear. Not so far from here, 30 minutes, maybe. An old employee of mine had a grandpa, a former log truck driver, who drove a taxi at some point in his life. Somehow he made it out of driving a fare out to the rez, into the deep dark, and where he wasn't supposed to return from. Most likely, he was packing, and not a softee.

I don't know the environmental factors. I'm suspecting spotted-owl had a hand in the industry overall going down.

Guess what, the more you strip the land, the less productive it becomes. Go figure. That can't be helping logging any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="ZWJpjhk"><a href="//imgur.com/ZWJpjhk">Testing the adjustable pitch on a ships propeller</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They ARE surprisingly cool!

85970247.gif

My old boss was telling me a story from when a 32" water main broke on the Eastside of Milwaukee two blocks away from the lab and he said the water was shooting up five stories high. I'd bet it looked like that GIF.

Back