August Hunicke Videos

A lot less of a boom on them. Less capacity loss from the shorter reach. Also less leverage than a bmg, both a good and bad thing. I will be demoing the Vermeer grapple soon enough to see which one I prefer.

Another great video August.

Squish, have you ever tried the Vermeer grapple? Totally engineered for tree work.

No, all my residential experience was with my bmg. I will say, without sounding like a total douche, that I'm a real smooth operator and never had an employee who could function the mini/grapple like myself. I ran most all different pieces of machinery in forestry work. Yarder uphill, downhill whatever. Never fouled a line, not once. Triple function hoes like nothing. I've seen your vids and I know your a smooth operator yourself, so I'll take your word that the added capacity or rather the lack of unavailable capacity vs a dangle is worth the tradeoff in mobility.

I got so used to that bmg that it's hard to imagine for me how to operate without the dangle. For me it was like a skidder, so I took to it instantly. But took it even beyond that as with a mini/dangle there is a lot more to be done with that grapple mobility than just drag. Healing, tossing loads. Grabbing logs by the end and swinging them up onto the side of a dump trailer, etc, etc, etc. I found the bmg to be a real game changer for me. But that is the only mini grapple I ever used. I had forks and a bucket too besides that. Used and abused.

IMG_0570.jpg

I think I’m still an equipment noob squish, most of my life has been spent as a faller/climber, around machines some but not operating them. . that said, with mini skids, I used BMG first and then Vermeer grapple stole my heart. It won’t last as long as a dangle but it’s so much smarter for the mini machines capacity. We way overwork the thing. I would like one of those rubber tired articulating machines with greater capacity and a dangle. Quite sure I would enjoy that. But I think I will get a bigger mini instead.

Mick, I understood your sarcasm :lol: but I like standing, GREAT visibility and I could bail off if I wanted or dismount easily over and over. Old people buy sport utility vehicles to make getting in and out easier than a car. What could be an easier dismount than dropping 8 inches to the ground from a standing position (your answer would likely be, not dismounting at all LOL...Hey me as mick, that’s a great answer, no problem mick-me, glad to help.) I could say more on that but no reason to. Sitting is fine too (without hemoroid that is.)

I see so much wet in a lot of August vids that I was thinking he would continue to want and do well with tracks. I see a lot of track systems set up for pick ups etc, including one you unload out of the bed of the pick up, drive each of four wheels into four different ' tracked triangles ' and take of tracking. I wonder if any of the articulating loaders are offered with four tracks yet?

I very much preferred the standing position of a mini too, and the instant off ability. Climbing onto and off of a machine grows old. Ran enough line skidder to know that for certain.

I always strived for my own handfalling gig but fortunately/unfortunately learned to climb and rig spars for highlead. It was a lot easier in my parts to find a taller than a climber. So I was kind of stuck.

I was wondering about doing that to my Carlton stump grinder Merle. Because, it desperately needs tracks.

Yeah, Squish, I can think of a few jobs though that I was like a fixture on the back of the machine and sitting in an articulating rubber tired machine that went faster would’ve been better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fmj6ZFWhEDQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice work. I thought the plywood was a secret weapon only I knew about. It seems you got rid of the “chip safe” system on your chipper. Was it beginning to have issues? What size morbark? Lastly, are you running more than one chip truck? Seems your would be filling that f-550 quite fast

I"ll use a half-sheet manually sometimes, on asphalt. Doesn't work very well on gravel or grass, I've discovered.

J/K. It does.

J/K.

1.This Morbark 15 is a gas powered demo unit. I like it.
2.Chip safe I like the idea of but it should be recessed.
3.Yes logs work for rake-up too, we used one on Friday on gravel, works amazing.
4.The chip truck is the best I've ever had so if it has a problem like filling up too fast, I don't notice much. Perhaps because I've a million dump locations (but I horde the chips at my property,) and I've a very short work radius.

Hows the fuel consumption on that gas rig?

Recess that sensor plate Ive seen in the chute? Makes sense to me, I would think it would snag most anything going in that isn't fully streamlined.

Is your work radius still small with the addition of the crane? Seems given the production increase, maybe you would be going a bit further afield to keep the dragon fed.

1.This Morbark 15 is a gas powered demo unit. I like it.
2.Chip safe I like the idea of but it should be recessed.
I always thought the idea of wrist bands for the chip safe tech was a bit limited. You might want an anklet, too, just to cover both ends of the body. But to me, I would like to see a manufacturer put some type of capacitive sensor either in the intake area past the table or on the feed wheels themselves. Any electric field sensed, shut down. Like Bosch's table saws (via airbag) or the other US inventor's Steve Gass hot dog demo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eiYoBbEZwlk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure but original saw stop design destroyed the saw. I can't imagine the amount of force needed to stop a chipper dead in its tracks. Something would break for sure and badly IMO.

Saw Stop destroys the blade, not the saw itself. Bosch's version uses air bag cartridges on each side of the blade to effectively stop it in microseconds, but preserves the blade. Replace the air bag cartridge and you're good to go again. For chippers, I would be happy with instant feed wheel reversal. But there is a case to be made for destroying a belt or drum clutch in exchange for a human life, if it were implemented properly. In rocketry and military jets, they have abort systems in place that cancel the mission and destroy the millions of dollars in equipment in order to preserve the life of the pilots/astronauts. I see that as a worthy exchange!

From what I've read/heard first hand it does more damage than just wrecking the blade like bearings and shafts to the tune equal to the value of the saw. Our high school had them in their shop class but all the kids were testing them and now they don't have them anymore.
I should clarify it was not when I was in school but my FIL told me about it who was a janitor for the school district and was the one throwing out the machines.
Meh I know a few people who need to be chipped. The world would be a better place.

My thoughts as well. Warning labels are more than enough. Not how the world works anymore though. Natural selection is being challenged. I work with idiots that think a high viz vest means that can walk into traffic and it magically goes around them. Apparently the shit we were taught in preschool ended when we went to kindergarten because if you’re older than 30, common sense don’t apply

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gwBTtrzPIkQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back