Looking at a used chipper...

He is right about that. I am pretty new to chippers but have learned to love ours. And the outfeed has gotten plugged twice...I never even knew that was a possibility until it happened the first time. Back pressure started sending dust back out the feed chute...surprise...totally clogged exhaust chute, full of chips. A good stiff pokey rod of some sort (I use a piece of re-bar) can help break through the plug.

Learning to change knives and shear bar (anvil) this week.

I honestly can't imagine doing residental treework without a chipper.

Yep , heavy duty shop grade w flex hose. Pistol grip let's you one hand the grease while holding the hose end fitting on the nipple. Also as Ger mentioned in his book , extra care handling the new edges when changing knives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Half paid for...I' ll do pics when I have it.
Hubby is a good basic diesel mechanic and has taught me well so between us most maintenance should be OK, or at least knowing when to consult a professional. I'll have to dig out my notes and stuff from college on knives...but I do remember them telling us a torque wrench is a good idea. The ones on it look almost ready to be swapped out, good thing it came with two sets of spares.
I've watched other guys with chippers going around with the grease gun on every job, so point well taken!

Fiona , make sure you get the owner's manual for that chipper, almost as important as the machine itself.
All the maintenance info, torque specs etc are there for you.
There should be a parts manual with it too.

Yes indeed Willard, the guy I bought it from has already sent me the manual, just travelling and hitch hiking WiFi I haven't looked at it yet.
Steve we've considered converting the Ute to a tipper, there's a place in Launceston that would do it, so it's definitely an option, for the time being, going to use a stout tarp and some rope...

Another handy item is traffic cones , I have a couple helps define infeed work area and when parked not in use I put one in front so no one drives into the hitch by accident.

Another handy item is traffic cones , I have a couple helps define infeed work area and when parked not in use I put one in front so no one drives into the hitch by accident.

Yes... cones and tree work ahead signs
You would be surprised at the leads just the tree work signs generates.

Geez I must have too much time on my hands which brings me to one more small suggest. I was so proud to own and move on from the Rental Yard that I couldn't wait to put the key on my ring. If I had it to do over again I would roll like I do now w a piece if flagging on the chipper key. Small key , horizontal ignition switch , added weight of my other keys hanging , and all that vibration has cost me some repair.

A canvas tarp is good and if you have the metal cage supports you can tie the back up to it to stop the chips from hitting the tarp. It also helps to shed water. 3-4 pumps of the grease gun handle is plenty. I am happy to post some info on changing chipper knifes when I start the unit on chippers at tafe if we want to turn this into a bit of a how to type of thing?

Not sure quite what you mean about the tarp mate? I was thinking tarp on the bottom of the tray and up over the roof of the cab. Then when done chipping flip the tarp down and have ropes in all four corners, top and bottom to tie it to something then pull the whole lot out by driving forward...
Sure, I'd be up for some notes on knife changing, thanks.

Bump...for those reading this from Patricks thread

Love my chipper, much more flexibility on those one off jobs in the city...people buy my chips at $5 a bag at my gate.
No problems with maintenance.
We have smooth form ply in the bed of the ute, so it is easy as to use a 90* fork to shovel it off.

Attachments

• IMG_20181010_102621.jpg
    IMG_20181010_102621.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 35
Fi, I'll try to get some "Chip-Tarp Lasagna" today. It takes a minute to set up per layer, but saves a lot of off-loading, using gravity, and cutting friction.

My chip truck is mostly for logs these days, and I often drive my service body with box to haul the mini-loader around, sometimes chipping on-site, or into the box and unloading onsite, otherwise at home or a friends. Its the wet season, and I can manage my service body into much tighter places than my chip truck, its easier to drive, and is kid-compatible (the chip truck is to loud/ bumpy/ stinky for a 6 Y.O.---I have an exhaust leak at the maniifold, so Its a bit stinking waiting at a light, in the mind of a 6 y.o)

Hydraulic would be great, but I would probably lose 500-1000 pounds truck capacity to the dump bed and hoist, plus I simply don't have a dump in that F450.

Chip-Tarp Lasagna makes unloading as fast as you decide by how many layers you build.

If I'm going to be doing a big removal, or have a place to get the chip truck in and out, I'll definitely go for hydraulic dumping, but the size is a hassle in my market, at times.

Like the "Magic Cut", great for some situations, and the traditional approach is always available.

When you are unloading chips by hand, you have time to think of ways to make it faster and easier. When its faster and easier, you have less time to think, you just get it done.

Fi, what is your weight capacity for chips in that truck?

My chip truck does tip/ dump (11' bed), and its 25'+ long with the winch, and full width (8' ish, at 9' off the ground).

My flatbed doesn't dump (under 20' long, 5' wide at 9.5' tall, has ladder and ramp space outside the box that will accomodate my 10' and 16' orchard ladder, or one ladder and two-10' ramps). I have an enclosed cedar-sided box to catch/ transport chips, mostly milled from a cedar I took down.

I work in a lot of tight places.
A, long heavy truck with dual wheels would be rough on people's narrow, steep waterfront asphalt driveways (where there is plenty of room to 3-point turn cars around, and delivery trucks without trailers, just ask the homeowners, "roll eyes emoji").
I try have to work to not break off/ crumble the edges of driveways in my SRW pick-up, as it is, as slopes often erode under driveways on slopes, making driveways want to squish down on the edge. My Service Body is under 20' long (regular cab, 9' service body). My pick-up is about 23' and automatic transmission (full size 4 door, 8' bed) and its hassle to turn around.

And some of my jobs are in wide open spaces or roomy locales.

IMG_20190117_082842525.jpg

Papa Bear with logs, Mama Bear with chips, big Brother bear full of tools/ saws
And baby bear for bids, vehicle shuttles, personal

I have 4 sizes of trailers too, working on a dump trailer... Not taking in a second payment, yet. Spring, probably. Less than$7k owed on my loader... Just took on a mortgage, solo.

If you had to do it all over again, would you buy another service body? Can any of those toolboxes on it fit saws in them?
A dedicated tool truck would be cool. Something that fits in the garage to skip the daily loading and unloading of tools.

Back