How'd it go today?

Just a tad bit, then. You're at risk to shred the rope's fibers. You want some friction on your bollard, not making a grinder.

Hobbs is smooth, no? The GRCS capstan does not have a deep texture at all; it gives it just the slightest little bit of grab; it doesn't create a lot of friction on the rope. In fact, with an old climbing line we use as a tag line, it tends to slip when cranking even lighter limbs. We usually use the bull ropes for lowering chores, and their less smooth braid offers more (just the right amount of) friction on the light knurl texture.

Most lowering and dynamic loading capstans are smooth for reduced friction. For cranking/manual winch action, you do want a little friction, since the line is loaded and can slip on a smooth capstan..

Good work on the chips, Fi!

High wind alert for my area. No climbs today. Got back in the shop, fixed 3 motors and pumps and did some more on my project. I found some 7/8 shaft, not mild steel, I figure a 1/2" bolt should hold it, threaded in the end. Playing around with the mount, need a 1/2" thick by 3.5" washer and the whole thing will go on angle plate to keep the handle away from the tree.

https://youtu.be/GGLQ9c4gg2c

Small job this morning, taking out a series of 4 small hackberries to clear a fenceline. Then stump grinding them. Then taking down a medium crispy spruce. Then wrapping up a 2 large ailanthus removal we had started the other day with the lift. All brush was already chipped, so it was just dropping the spars and collecting the logs with the log grapple.

Not doing too well when you have to have the local hydraulic hose shop on speed dial... :/:

----------------------------

Peter: One more suggestion: the GRCS handle looks to be a little longer than your project's, giving hand crank turns more diameter/torque. Since yours is a screw 1:1 ratio, I would think you would want a pretty long handle. You won't have the option of switching to 40:1 when the going gets tough!

:lol: I do not know what I am going to do with you two! I likes this girl!!

So now you holler at the kids, "Get out of my dumpster chair!!"

2866eb95-b4d8-4fd0-9ce3-4a2144f92c3d_1.b80ebd95bcc57156c30bbde4d279e3b7.jpeg

Ha ha score! We used to refer to the local dump as the Lumby k-mart when I was a kid. The goal was to rifle through and find as much or any treasure possible while dad unloaded the garbage. Nowadays they forbid scavenging, can you believe it? Don't get me started, I get fired up every time I think about how wrong that is. Of course it's because of liability. Ffs.

We can still scavenge the dump here in Tassie...we call it 'Tip Shopping'

So I brought a bag of the chip mulch to Garden Club last night for the trade table, someone bought my $5 bag for $6 (we have a little auction of odds and ends and the money goes towards our bus trips)...and another lady gave me $10 to drop off two bags...(she only lives round the corner so that's ok, no delivery fee haha)

The local nurseryman was there as the speaker for the evening with loads of nice plants and supplies...I spent $30 of 'Chip money' on a truffle infused oak tree whip...apparently in about 10 years I'll get truffles...so we've booked a date 10 years hence for the great truffle party...just have to train the neighbour's dog to snuffle them...LOL.
In the meantime, said oak will grow up in some pots for a while...till I find somewhere to plant it!

I dumpster dive all the time and find some great stuff. Like a small Kennedy top box machinist box owned by Eddy Schwinn of Schwinn bicycles, grandson of the founder. I find picking in the higher end neighborhoods yields the better stuff.

Looks nice and smooth Pete! Whatca recon the gear ratio is?
I am sure you have a lathe but for other guys a hole saw makes good enough round pieces with a center pilot hole.

Eddy Schwinn! I remember talking with him at an International Bicycle trade Show in New York, back when I owned and ran two bicycle shops.
I got a signed photo of Eddy Merckx that year, too.

Been a busy weekend.
A friend helped me bring next winters firewood into the shed and stack it. 30 culic meters. Took us 10 hours.
T'was good to get that done, now I have room for the wood I'll be burning in 3 years.

Today the boys from the company and I picked, grilled and canned the jalapenos from the polytunnel.
We usually team up for that, then split the spoils between us. P1060420.JPG

Eddy Schwinn! I remember talking with him at an International Bicycle trade Show in New York, back when I owned and ran two bicycle shops.
I got a signed photo of Eddy Merckx that year, too.

Yep I asked him if he was sure he wanted to toss it. It had a hand full of Snap On sockets and two sets of hex keys.

In the garbage! A Kennedy! It is missing the front door the "locks" it but oh well it now houses my layout tools.
Pete you really should have stared a thread about the build. :D After all I think this site has had many of the industry inventors on it at one point or another. I think the Raj Rigging Control System (RRCS) has a nice ring to it.

Thx again Peter, got the brushes seated really well and now it welds like a dream. Nice dry arc that stacks so well you can hardly tell you are burning so damn hot. Brazed the exhaust pipe on because the threads were shot so it kept backing off, and got the bulk of the skid welded up. Still gotta fab the tie downs, the bottle rack, the lead wells, and horns for the extension cord and torch hose, so once again I'm trailer welder this week. Should be awesome enough when is all over with tho, still can't wait to build a full bed. Here's the skid so far, hard to do anything when you got so much going on during the weekends, but I'm slowly getting it done.

20180923_180708.jpg

Back