The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
UFC card on Saturday is absolutely ridiculous:

MAIN CARD

Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier TITLE FIGHT
Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega TITLE FIGHT
Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis
Michael Chiesa vs. Anthony Pettis
Gokhan Saki vs. Khalil Rountree
UNDERCARD

Uriah Hall vs. Paulo Henrique Costa
Raphael Assuncao vs. Rob Font
Curtis Millender vs. Max Griffin
Gilbert Burns vs. Daniel Hooker
Lando Vannata vs. Drakkar Klose
Jamie Moyle vs. Emily Whittier

At least 9 of the 11 fights are awesome match ups. I'll be glued.

Do you have an HD big screen TV? Yes?

What about snacks... hot wings and chips/dip?

Maybe even a few cold buddies! :beer:

Nice tv and a fine couch!

How was it Cory?

I saw the World Wildlife Federation style antics at the end with Brock Lesnar.

That was Lame but how were the fights?

Well, Dan Hooker from New Zealand is legit, he KOd the dangerous Gilbert Burns Rd 1. Anthony Pettis had a nice triangle armbar win Rd 2 over the wacky Micahel Chisea. Mike Perry won the decision in his bloody match with a game Paul Felder who fought through to the end with a broken arm. A new contender from Brazil, Paulo Costa is an absolute beast of an athlete and beat the chit out of the very tough, skilled, and experienced Uriah Hall in a good fight. Costa is one of those guys it is hard to envision him losing.

And you probably know the name Gokan Saki, former world champion kick boxer who is in MMA now, well he got beat badly at his own game despite coming in with very high confidence, KO 60 seconds into Rd 1.

Black Beast Derrick Lewis won the weirdest "fight" you'll ever see vs Ngannou- both guys are normally a lock for a great fight, but basically neither of them threw a strike this entire fight. Just circled around staring at each other for 15 minutes.

Cormier is just a freakin beast. His hips and butt are like 4' wide of solid elephant muscle, his quads are like a Sequoia. His wrestling is world class and his boxing is rock solid as he showed knocking out the much taller, highly skilled and experienced HW champ Stipe Miocic in Rd 1.

Thankfully I missed seeing Brock in the cage. He's a lame joke imo.

Hey hey, yo yo!!

Who the hell you mugs got this weekend in what is being billed as the biggest UFC fight ever: Conor McGregor vs 26-0 Khabib Nurmagomedov?? Conor the Irish striking genius and Khabib the Russian grappling beast. I trust y'all have seen the vid of him wrestling a grizzly bear cub when he was like 9 y o.

I started off favoring Khabib but now I'm going with Conor- his skills and fight IQ will get him the finish. It seems most pro mma fighters are split 50/50 on who will prevail. Hella match up and rock solid card. Lotta folks expecting it to break the ufc PPV record.

I don't normally pay to much attention to this stuff. But I have watched a couple of vids. I'm betting Conor takes it.

I hope Khabib knock him the F Out.

Connor’s antics of late are rediculous. He is a prime time cock. A rich one, but still a cock.

You can’t deny though, he is a great fighter.

You'd think he'd be a bit humbled by the Floyd Mayweather and Diaz fights. A Stockton Slap was well deserved in the first one. Not too interested in his antics anymore.

I think he's hilarious myself.

He brings a little bit of the old school wrastling showmanship to the 'sport'.

That's what I thought -- it's all just a wrestling-style character play -- a persona he trots out to be a fan favorite "heel" -- one that the fans love to hate. With Lesnar going back and forth (and Shamrock back in the day), MMA & pro wrestling look more & more similar.

It was a night of many great fights. In the main event, Khabib turned Conor every way but loose and then choked him out in rd4. Then after, the place erupted in a riot when Khabib, who was probably full of adrenaline and still incensed about all the nasty BS rhetoric Conor has said about his family and his country, jumped over the cage and into the crowd like a lightning bolt and attacked Conor's bjj coach who was screaming trash at Khabib. Then some of Khabib's crew ran into the cage and started brawling with Conor's team, including a huge sucker punch to Conor's face from behind. The place was bursting with security but it wasn't enough to control the situation. Apparently 3 of Khabib's team have been arrested. It was so chaotic that Dana White told Khabib that he couldnt present him with the championship belt there in the cage cuz if he did the crowd was going to rain down debris and everything else onto them. So it was bizarre that ultimately khabib was announced the winner and still champion with the cage empty of everyone but the announcer.

Utter insanity.

Conor has proved himself to be the best of the best of trash talkers and promotion but Nate has beat him handily and khabib schooled him tonight, so while he is a great fighter, he's certainly not the GOAT nor best PfP fighter.

Update- the 3 guys arrested were released cuz Conor refused to press charges.

What time of day/nite did the fight go on for you, biggun?

Cory, I was going to go to the gym to watch it as there was a bit of a get together. Prelims started about 00.30 Norwegian time. I decided against it as I would be up till daybreak. I am guessing the fight was around 6am ish. I woke up at 7.30 and checked the inter webs and all the news was breaking.

It started in the UK at about 5:40 am.

That'd be a crazy time to start watching a glitzy vegas night life event. The main event started approx 1am here. I put the lights out around 3.

Back