Vermont is IN ! EAB positive

I bet theyll add a zero behind that number this year. Sad. I love ash flooring. Wish thhe timing was right here with the removals and construction of our home.

Believe it or not in spite of the EAB the stuff appears to be regenerating .I've got some saplings that are 10-12 feet high and a zillion little bitty ones .Of course it will take about 100 years before they ever get as large as they once were .Ash were once twenty percent of all the trees in Ohio .

Wow, Al, that's great news! I'm assuming this is after EAB wiped them out? Makes you wonder how they managed to regenerate like that. Do you think the ones that are growing now will have some sort of resistance to EAB? Thanks.

Tim

Some claim two things .One is the catlets or whatever they call the seeds could lay dormant for years until conditions were right for germination . In the conditions with the thick canopy they would have had a hard time to get enough sun light . This most likely is for the zillions of little saplings that are everywhere now .
The larger saplings it was presumed because they were so small they could not provide enough inner bark to feed the EAB larva .In a month or so when they leaf out I'll get some pictures .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Three more towns have positively identified infestations now , though they are all a couple hours drive North of where I lives it still isn't cool.

Getting ridiculous quickly as the State and other groups are adamant about reporting ... Why ? I say. Bastard is supposed to be only good for about fourty miles of flight expanded areas in any one Summer. Big concern is trucking logs and firewood but Massachusetts has proven quarantine zone with tons of rules doesn't work. Sonofabitch Borer is coming either way , sooner or later.

Probably same as everyone else , once infestations are local a few years of removals and after that they can be too brittle to safely climb.

I've been seeing younger trees for years that appear unnafected...until they reach a larger caliper and succomb.

Turning into cluster F for management ... Cut them , spray them , wait and see ... Facts are the Ash are doomed here

Its amazing how fast they die. I'm seeing loads of trees that were fine last year, fully 1/2 dead now.

It is amazing that your ash trees are dying out and ours as well, for two different reasons.
Ours have been the victims of an airborne fungal disease.

In 2-3 weeks time my team will clear cut one of the last stands of big trees.
Most are half way dead, we are just in time to save the logs before they go completely bad.

Yes, sad (as with the American Elm). But it will fund a lifetime's work for many a forestry worker! At least a couple of decades...

Our city has a 10 year plan ongoing to virtually replace every ash tree in city parks & rights of way with other species for more diversity. Some are treated for EAB, but mostly the writing is on the wall.

I would think that we could save a few in an arbortorium, and then restart after the bugs die out in a few years?

That can't work. The bugs, fungus, bacterias invade an area and stay here for a long (unknown) time. After the devastation, their number drops down because the food availability is drastically reduced, but they are still there. That tends usually to an equilibrium. For example the big elms became a rarity, but we can still find small elms in the woods, hedges, garden... If you plant again the same trees, even a long time after, they will be soon attacked /destroyed by the survivals of the predators.

You have mainly three options to replace the dead trees.
- plant an other species, hopefully not harmed by the bug /disease. You get back the forest/landscape but it's different.
- introduce a strong predator/competitor of the bug /disease, then the new trees have more chances to survive.
- modify the species by selection, crossing, mutation.... It's no longer the exactly same tree, but it can live again in the deadly area.

We are trying to make a resistant one here.

Me and the boys have been the climbers for both companies that are trying.

Got to travel all over the country, collecting grafting stock and got paid extremely well for it, too.:D

EAB is here in NH too and has been for several years now but that is not what is mainly killing all our Ash trees. Scientists from the USFS say it is due to climate change and acid rain. They are dying by the thousands.

Back