How'd it go today?

OH! It's snowing out pretty decent, I do beleive the first plowing of the season is gonna be on for early tomorrow morning!$$$

It was coldish this morning so before I started climbing I did the 5 minute condensed version of the Pantheraba warm up routine. The tree I removed shrank since I bid it. I love that when it happens. After 10 minute in the tree the pull cord on my climb saw broke. I came down and fixed it while the guys took down a cherry tree. I got back up in the tree and found a nail with my chain. I sharpened while in the tree because I didn't want to come down again. Later I noticed that the new cord was fraying. I tried to leave the saw idling between cuts but I compulsively turn the saw out after roping branches off. I got all the brush out by lunch time and went home to swap the chipper for the stump grinder. Ground half of the stump and then started to hear something amiss. Stopped the grinder and the wheel seems slightly askew and was eating the inside of the cover. I am assuming that my bearings are goners. I will take it in in the morning.

It was a day. I still have several weeks of work scheduled. I booked 12/19 today. My nervous breakdown keeps getting put off further and further. I think December is out of the question. Perhaps in January I'll have some time to lose it.

ive found when your start rope frays that fast its usually the recoil spring sticking out a little. glad the breakdown is put off a bit:)

It was coldish this morning so before I started climbing I did the 5 minute condensed version of the Pantheraba warm up routine. The tree I removed shrank since I bid it. I love that when it happens. After 10 minute in the tree the pull cord on my climb saw broke. I came down and fixed it while the guys took down a cherry tree. I got back up in the tree and found a nail with my chain. I sharpened while in the tree because I didn't want to come down again. Later I noticed that the new cord was fraying. I tried to leave the saw idling between cuts but I compulsively turn the saw out after roping branches off. I got all the brush out by lunch time and went home to swap the chipper for the stump grinder. Ground half of the stump and then started to hear something amiss. Stopped the grinder and the wheel seems slightly askew and was eating the inside of the cover. I am assuming that my bearings are goners. I will take it in in the morning.

It was a day. I still have several weeks of work scheduled. I booked 12/19 today. My nervous breakdown keeps getting put off further and further. I think December is out of the question. Perhaps in January I'll have some time to lose it.

A successful man in the biz taught me this :
Know when to set it down. That means, 6:00 p.m., b'bye. Friday at 6:00 p.m., goodbye 'til Monday. Think about it.
Quality of life is what we're after. If you live-&-breathe this biz, it'll suck you dry.
Set your hours, and set it down after hours.

not at a point where I can do that yet. I do try to end phone call answering and calling after supper but I do email. and I dont pick up my phone before 0800. Weekends, I reserve sundays for estimating now, saturdays I try to work in the office if at all. My wife works out of the house 7 days a week at her various jobs so its not just me that isnt here much.
When the season allows, I take my personal time too. like uhm, Winter? hahaha maybe in january I can help devon through his planned breakdown, if I have time. :)

Darin, Spread your nervous breakdown out between several snowdays. Supposedly Wednesday weather will suck here-I need that.

Dang Devon, that was not a good day!!
My life is a bit better, the wife thinks she has found a new sitter, a bit more money, but it's open from 7am until 6pm, realistic hours!!!
I talked to the BIG boss yesterday, he has no desire to move ANYBODY around on shifts and said "That is not an option I even want to explore right now!" I liked that answer!!!!
BUT!!!! The week after next, they want to send my boss and te third shift guy to a saw school. Third wil be gone Thurs thru Tues. and the boss will most likely be out 11 days!! That leaves ME to run the show ALONE, not looking forward to that!!!!
On a more positive note, my 90 days are just about up!!!!! REVIEW TIME!!!!!:P

Dang Devon, that was not a good day!!
My life is a bit better, the wife thinks she has found a new sitter, a bit more money, but it's open from 7am until 6pm, realistic hours!!!
I talked to the BIG boss yesterday, he has no desire to move ANYBODY around on shifts and said "That is not an option I even want to explore right now!" I liked that answer!!!!
BUT!!!! The week after next, they want to send my boss and te third shift guy to a saw school. Third wil be gone Thurs thru Tues. and the boss will most likely be out 11 days!! That leaves ME to run the show ALONE, not looking forward to that!!!!
On a more positive note, my 90 days are just about up!!!!! REVIEW TIME!!!!!:P

Dang Andy, have our probationary periods flown by that fast? :O Mine ends the 17th.

I started today out by being officially on the schedule to take calls, for the first time. :D

Dang Andy, have our probationary periods flown by that fast? :O Mine ends the 17th.

I started today out by being officially on the schedule to take calls, for the first time. :D

Scary ain't it!!!!
I've had a company phone for four weeks now!! Not sure I want it anymore!! I don't mind too much at 8-8:30pm, but the 10pm-2am cals get old FAST!!! And having them start calling you on a scheduled day off at 5:30am, well, thats just priceless:D

OM....."stability with speed". Shat breaks, the show must go on.:D Got the bearings fixed yet?

Scary ain't it!!!!
I've had a company phone for four weeks now!! Not sure I want it anymore!! I don't mind too much at 8-8:30pm, but the 10pm-2am cals get old FAST!!! And having them start calling you on a scheduled day off at 5:30am, well, thats just priceless:D

Welcome to the club! I have been called on my day off to run a call here in town because out here, it's an hour drive minimum from the average call site to a location here. For me, being attached to the phone and the computer all day. it's running around from here to there, calling guards for bad areas or if I have to handle or expose the money, checking for calls, pulling calls. the conference calls, the odd hours, and starting in January, 2 week classes at least once every month for 4-5 months.

I believe Thursday, I need to leave early so I can deliver an upgrade kit, by 8AM. That means a ferry ride.

Welcome to the club! I have been called on my day off to run a call here in town because out here, it's an hour drive minimum from the average call site to a location here. For me, being attached to the phone and the computer all day. it's running around from here to there, calling guards for bad areas or if I have to handle or expose the money, checking for calls, pulling calls. the conference calls, the odd hours, and starting in January, 2 week classes at least once every month for 4-5 months.

I believe Thursday, I need to leave early so I can deliver an upgrade kit, by 8AM. That means a ferry ride.

Yeah, aint it cool making the big bucks?:lol:
Man, I thought I was closer than that on my 90 days!! I sarted 9/24 (had to go look at old posts to find out for sure) So Christmas day of all things:surprise:

OM....."stability with speed". Shat breaks, the show must go on.:D Got the bearings fixed yet?

Bearings ordered. I am doing a two day job in a a cul-de-sac that my old tree service used to own. I want to do a good job and put my personal stamp on everything. Instead the guys are doing most of the work with me ducking in and out on errands. I did climb one tree amidst a flurry of phone calls. My number two guy is doing really good these days but i am still much faster. It is tough balancing between being the talent and the promoter. That sounds vain but you know what I mean.

Nice tree Paul. My knees were shaking just looking at that tree. Graeme McMahon look out.

Back