The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 284K
Very cool pup! I love Molosser's, and couldnt imagine not living with one.

Great lookin pup, Skwishey. :thumbup:

Hey Burnham! I know you're reading this thread. How's Jasper doing? Last I heard his blood counts were doing a lot better and he was putting on weight. You still feeding him steak with cottage cheese?
:D

Yup, he's still on the high protien diet, but his weight is good now so I expect we'll be tapering him off some...don't want a fat dog :). He goes in to have new bloodwork tomorrow. I'll post an update when we get the results. Thanks, Brian.

Good deal on the new TH puppies, boys! Justin, that dog will eat you out of house and home :D. Gonna be HUGE!

Yah he's gonna be a big boy! He's so gentle and mellow right now, I think just settling in still. He's referred to as a Daniff(Dane, Mastiff cross) they're supposed to be an excellent crossbreed.

Here's a little info if anyone's interested:
http://www.designermixes.org/Breed_Info/241/Daniff.aspx

The only negative things I've heard about them are from the hoity toity breeders who beleive that no purebreds should be mixed ever. I don't have that hang-up myself, mix breeds seem alot healthier imo.

Good to hear Jasper is bulking up!

Yah he's gonna be a big boy! He's so gentle and mellow right now, I think just settling in still. He's referred to as a Daniff(Dane, Mastiff cross) they're supposed to be an excellent crossbreed.

Here's a little info if anyone's interested:
http://www.designermixes.org/Breed_Info/241/Daniff.aspx

The only negative things I've heard about them are from the hoity toity breeders who beleive that no purebreds should be mixed ever. I don't have that hang-up myself, mix breeds seem alot healthier imo.

Good to hear Jasper is bulking up!

One downfall you will notice is this dogs inherent nature to guard. It might be less noticeable, like always sitting/standing/laying between you and your guests. Or it could be more on the OE Mastiff side and not let anyone on your street, nevermind in your yard. Keep posting pics, looks like a cool dog!

Yup we will be not encouraging any protective or guarding instincts as I'm sure it will be strong enough as is. He and I will be going to training classes as soon as his immunizations are strong enough.

Out of the litter he was the most social and least agressive so hopefully that continues as he grows. The breeder said he was the one who always preferred to be with people instead of running wild with the other pups and as soon as I showed up there he just came right up like he knew what was going on.

He's definetly the most loving, snuggly pup I've ever seen and damn lazy so far.

Yup we will be not encouraging any protective or guarding instincts as I'm sure it will be strong enough as is. He and I will be going to training classes as soon as his immunizations are strong enough.

Out of the litter he was the most social and least agressive so hopefully that continues as he grows. The breeder said he was the one who always preferred to be with people instead of running wild with the other pups and as soon as I showed up there he just came right up like he knew what was going on.

He's definetly the most loving, snuggly pup I've ever seen and damn lazy so far.

Have you owned a Mastiff before? Thats their natural way, loving and LAZY! But dont be fooled, they are sleeping giants, and naturally protective. Socialization, and classes are great, good on you for doing this.

Dont forget these dogs grow SLOW and dont stop till 2-3 years old. They should NEVER be tired. This means a 10 minute walk once a day and some playing outback is fine. They need lots of water, food, and TONS of sleep. If they are tired, their bones dont grow properly. With all the natural problems with their bones you dont want extra things working against them. They also should not be encouraged to run, or jump until 2. And no weight pulling, pack carrying, or spring pole work until after 2 as well.

Trees and related forums are my first love. The rest of my net/personal time is spent on with dogs and on Molosser websites.

Good Luck!

Cool, great advice. Yes this is my first mastiff/dane type of dog. I have a good friend who has had a couple of purebred great danes for most of his life and so have been around the dogs a fair bit.

Ya I'm doing alot of research still and am really going to be watching the exercise and types of activities that he'll be doing for the first couple of years as you mentioned. I'm feeding eaglepack large/giant breed puppy food as this came highly recommended. Water is available always for my dogs. And this little dude definetly sleeps.

Any advice or links that you may be able to share would be greatly appreciated.8)

Cool, great advice. Yes this is my first mastiff/dane type of dog. I have a good friend who has had a couple of purebred great danes for most of his life and so have been around the dogs a fair bit.

Ya I'm doing alot of research still and am really going to be watching the exercise and types of activities that he'll be doing for the first couple of years as you mentioned. I'm feeding eaglepack large/giant breed puppy food as this came highly recommended. Water is available always for my dogs. And this little dude definetly sleeps.

Any advice or links that you may be able to share would be greatly appreciated.8)

Be careful what you feed. Large brred and GIANT breed is two seperate things Watch the calcium and Phosphorus intake. Too much can be very dmaging to their soft bones. You also only want him on puppy food until about 9 months, then staright ot adult food from a good supplier. Canidae, Solid Gold (what I use), eagle pack etc etc. No JUNK food! Science diet, purina, kibbles and bits etc etc. If you have the time and money raw/BARF is the best. I havent the time so they only get raw supplemented to them when I do have the time. WHOLE Salmon, Rabbit, Trout, etc etc fur stomachs an all are great treats. Lasts about 1-1.5 hours in the back yard and they love it. Only downside is the blood and smell.

Check out:
http://molosserdogs.com/ Post in the Bandogges and Crosses forum halfway donw the page.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ EXCELLENT site!
http://www.hare-today.com/ Awseome source for every type of raw animal you can think of!

Cool thanks for the links and more info. Apparently as I understand it this eaglepack food that I've got has been extensively tested on Dane's, and is such that the calcium, protein, and overall caloric intake vs volume is optimal for the giant breeds. But certainly I'll be doing some poking around on those links.

Solid Gold has been recommended by a friend of mine who owns a pet store as being about the best commercially available food in his opinion. It definetly has a premium price too though. Not that the eaglepack is cheap or nothing just was one I had heard specifically recommended for Dane's. Certainly no cheap food for this guy. Still sorting out the supplements and what not, it kind of makes my head hurt when I start reading to much about that stuff though.

Excellent info on those links, gonna have to reformulate a plan here I think. I want this dude to be healthy and I understand now and the next two years are the critical time for him.

Yah I dunno the solid gold 'wolf cub' which as I understand it is their large breed puppy food has quite a high calcium content 1.5%.

The eagle pack large/giant puppy that I've got states 1.0%

I'm somewhat limited here as to local availability of high end foods.

Yah I dunno the solid gold 'wolf cub' which as I understand it is their large breed puppy food has quite a high calcium content 1.5%.

The eagle pack large/giant puppy that I've got states 1.0%

I'm somewhat limited here as to local availability of high end foods.

Eagle pack is good food. I used the Solid Gold for three months, because I couldnt find anything else with a lower content. I think I may have started on Eagle pack too. Dont be concerned with the puppy foods content besides calcium. Be more concerned with feeding a high quality grain free kibble, or a raw diet, later in life.....after 9 or 10 months.

Look into some fish oils too. I use Bravo salmon oil. Makes the coats very shiny and add lots of Omega 3's and 6's.

Hmm ok I'll have to research that food a bit. I should have said I'm kind of limited as to what my buddy's pet store carries, lol.

If he has Solid Gold, use it when the pups old enough. My dogs go to the groomer once every 2 months or so, and I dont wash them at home. I use no sprays, conditioners etc etc.

Heres a recent pic..........
img0115sf8.jpg

my kids get poulin pro. performance I get it where I get my stock feed they like it butmy dogs are much diffrent they are speed boats not tug boats

my kids get poulin pro. performance I get it where I get my stock feed they like it butmy dogs are much diffrent they are speed boats not tug boats

speed boats and tug boats still deserve good food. got a link to the ingredients? don't forget that with a lot of these higher end foods, the dogs actually eat less, poop less, and look healthier due to the higher kcals and nutrients available to them. BOTH my dogs only eat 35/lbs every 2-2.5 weeks! I feed them full bowls nd they eat as much or little as they want twice a day.

Newest member of the family - RANGER - Catahoula/Border Collie pound pup.

Attachments

• Ranger[1].JPG
    Ranger[1].JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 88
Back