Drop and flop oak - S. Georgia style

i always mke my flat cut first to weather humbolt or conv. and like pete i fully agree that one should look at each stump they cut, even if its a passing glance to see what went right or wrong. the story is in the stump, especially with a humbolt

In regards to making your flat cut or angle cut first, I always do flat cut first so that I can sight in the lay exactly where I want it. I think it is much easier to use the sights this way rather than making the angle cut first.

Agreed, at least for me.

Nice cutting Deva, on the first pic was the hinge set that large or did the tree start going at that point. It's a fair size for the diameter

Nice cutting Deva, on the first pic was the hinge set that large or did the tree start going at that point. It's a fair size for the diameter

It was leaning so I bored in and set my hinge then worked back to the
last strap before it went. It was heavy enough to pull with that kind of hinge.

Thanks for the bump Burnham. I learned a lot from this thead...

I might post a few pics (no videos) and see what I can glean from you guys as far as stump analysis and information.

In the recent spirit of bumping some older threads hidden in the difficult to search archives..this one has always held a favored place for me. I want to offer again our appreciation to Pantheraba for his uncommon willingness to put himself out there, open for criticism. He's a helluva good guy.

Man it was years back that B became a f-cking internet expert!

Lol, razzing ya Burnham. An excellent description/tutorial you posted in this thread after your first bit of rudeness.:P

:D:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't believe I have had to relive the mortification and madness of such rudeness. ;)

The re-read IS good...I picked up some excellent pointers then and now.:thumbup:

And of course let's not forget the rule about cutting your ugly ones flush and disposing of the evidence before anyone notices. :/:

:lol:

Bump for one of the oldest threads in the current TreeHouse archives. A bunch of members no longer participating, including the OP. Which is too bad. But on the other hand, plenty are still posting, more than 15 years later. That says something good happens here.

Back