What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 467K
Yeah,Sean, I'd about kill for dry firm ground right now. Gonna take a 100 footer down tomorrow HO clean up. Want mini in case we move logs, but might be too muddy. Brining the Cant Hook.
It amazes me how the mini floats over mud and snow. Friday I was floating over a crotch deep snow drift I measures the drift myself cutting it up. BMG really helps skidding logs.
40 below wind chill right now.

Calling for 64 below wind chill in the morning.
E'f me that's cold stay safe!

Does better on snow, so long as the ground is frozen. We've about got it stuck in the snot we have here called mud. It's tracked. Also the mud just builds up in the rollers and tosses tracks from time to time. The rutting has to get fixed by sprig for mowing. We really don't have many lawns here. Mostly fields for yards. 100 foot grass cutting required for fire. Like this parcel is only 3 acre maybe and structure is close to the property line.

It’s not Jim cold, thank God! But 7 with a -9 windchill, and dropping fast. We got less than 1” of snow, out of the 3-6” prediction, I’m alright with not having to move snow in this crap. Going to be cold all week it seems.

Drizzled all day. Guess better than flooding. Took down that pine and bucked into firewood. Climbed, stripped of limbs, topped, reduced, felled and bucked into 16" in 3 hours. Did not get too wet. Then went and did a drop and walk drive by. Better than sitting at home. It was nice to climb and strip a pine that was so crispy it had a death wobble. Heck, there was some green needle still on it.

More of the same here. -20c this morning and -12 and dropping fast already this evening. Ffs winter needs to give up already.

Warmest february ever recorded.
On Candlemass day, which used to be the hardest part of winter, we had 50 degrees.

19*F now with a wind chill of 7. Really not to bad if the wind would back off. At least the suns shining8). Single digits forcasted for tomorrow morning though.

11˚F today. Hitting the coffee pot on the way to work, had to use ether to start the chipper after putting some fireplace coals in a pan under the block for a half hour. No gelling thanks to Howe's diesel additive. Taking out a silver maple for our insurance agent. I guess that's a vote of confidence for us, that she trusts us to take out a multi-leader silver over her roofline in her back yard. Hopefully this won't be the first time in 25 years that we have to file an insurance claim!

I rolled out as a driver just to help get all the trucks into place, now I'm high tailing it to the airport to head down to some Sunshine, flying into Orlando.

Where all in Florida besides Orlando are you going to visit? If you make it all the way down, stop in to see us in Marathon, just past the publix on the right!

Ft. Myers area, where I used to live. Maybe I'll make it out to Sanibel, but maybe not. Depends on how hard my host works me! He is footing the bill, so I do have to give a good showing!

MY parents first retirement location was Ft. Myers Beach. We vacationed there for years when I was growing up. Always stayed at the Pink Shell, back before they turned it into a tourist trap. Back then they offered cottages to stay in. I think some of those cottages were moved about on the island. Great memories from that time!

So I left the KCI airport and it was 11˚F with ice and snow on the ground. Temps in Florida ranged in the 70s and into the 80s a couple of days, but one night got down to 49˚ and you would just about swear that the locals thought the end of the world was nigh. I was hearing reports from home that all the snow melted off, there were 2 rainy days where the crew couldn't work and a couple of postponements due to turf considerations (would've become a muck pit!). Now that I'm back and working again, it impresses me so clearly that we are firmly into spring now. March is for sure roaring in like a lion, but all the signs are there: robins are back, tree buds are bursting & about to unfurl, daffodils are poking up.

Meanwhile, Nebraska above us is facing flooding (Offutt AFB is 1/3 under water). 3 towns here in KS along the rivers are under flood watch. Might be a rough spring, weather-wise!

Rain mud is not like spring thaw mud. Rain mud drains and dries up fairly quick, spring thaw mud is thin and watery for a few weeks as the frost is leaving the ground. Some will argue mud is mud but it's not. Rain mud you can plywood over thaw mud is a highly greasy brown substance that will swallow plywood or the plywood will kick out from under the tires. It's a true joy to work with.

We had the driest summer in recorded history last year.
The warmest February this year and now, half way through March, it is already the wettest March ever recorded.

May you live in interesting times, indeed.

terrible PNW weather. yesterday it was sunny and 74. Worse today, I think. ;)

I think Tyler will be a Coolvest believer after seeing them in person, though when I showed them to him, it was a bit of flurries, right at the beginning of his trip.

Back