The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

It's still fall here 65-70s but 40 in the morning. Lunch was good. Gotta go back up now. Talk to you soon. And yes I will fill out my profile after I bring down the rest of this fir.

Bring on the damn firehose...again :D. Good you put those big floor drains in back when you set up the 'House, Butch ;).

Just use the 'manage attachments' button on the editor page. Easy peasy.
I used to use that, but found that it would put them out of my carefully chosen, sequential order (showing the progression of a job). So I'd have to re-edit the post and manually cut/paste the attachment tags in the proper order. So now I just insert them inline one by one using the Insert Image toolbar button.

I guess I'll say hello. I'm from SE Washington State, a Fire Captain by trade. I have a bunch of trees on my property that need to be maintained and I'm the kind of guy that would rather invest in tools and learn something new than pay someone else to do the work. Great site, I'm trying to absorb as much as I can. Rusty

Welcome to the TreeHouse, brother!

Make yourself at home and don't be shy to ask questions!

VWyRECL.gif

Kid looks like he's having a good time! Beautiful area there too.
All the Siberian Elms should keep you busy. They hold up pretty poorly in high wind and ice storms around here, and just seem weak compared to other hardwoods. I would humbly suggest you don't seek out really high and skinny tie in points on those particular trees, they just don't have the strength.

Have you had some aerial rescue and aerial work experience through your FD?

I have spent some time on our Technical Rescue Team(high, low, confined space) and Ladder Company (105' heavy) prior to promoting to Captain about 6 years ago. Now I live on an Engine. I have been sharing some of the new techniques that I am learning with tree work to help the TRT expand some of their knowledge/skills/options.

The Elm trees are pretty crumby with debris coming out in most ice and wind events. The squirrels ring the bark and that kills branches as well. I will pay much respect to selecting a good tie in point on those trees, thanks for the advise.

All the Siberian Elms ...just seem weak compared to other hardwoods.
Do you consider them hardwoods? Our local firewood contact takes our undesirable elm logs, as he considers them a semi-hardwood and sells his firewood as a "mix of hardwoods." Maybe we're purists, but we don't look at them as desirable hardwood (stinks when it burns), usually opting to chip the wood or dump it off for him to process at his farmstead.

Yes I'd consider it a hardwood, just like poplar and willow.
By no means desirable, but I've always thought deciduous = hardwood, coniferous = softwood.
It's not a good firewood, but will keep the house warm without a chimney fire if you don't mind feeding the stove every 3 hours.

I have spent some time on our Technical Rescue Team(high, low, confined space) and Ladder Company (105' heavy) prior to promoting to Captain about 6 years ago. Now I live on an Engine. I have been sharing some of the new techniques that I am learning with tree work to help the TRT expand some of their knowledge/skills/options.

The Elm trees are pretty crumby with debris coming out in most ice and wind events. The squirrels ring the bark and that kills branches as well. I will pay much respect to selecting a good tie in point on those trees, thanks for the advise.

Non-isolated SRT access lines are easy to set. If in doubt, two access lines in different crotches may help until you can visually inspect things closely---- One as weight-bearing, the other weight-bearing or slightly slack.

Newbie.

A big hello to an interesting forum full of old crusties!Hope I will fit right in...😏

Back