The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

Hey guys, I am new to the world of arboristry (If that isn't a word, it should be) and have been lurking for a little while and decided its time to become an active member of the community. I have been rock climbing for 5 years, used saws here and there for about as long as i can remember, and started heating with wood (All cut myself, about 4 cords per year) 2 years ago. I have been interested in being a tree climber for several years, but was talked out of it and intimidated by it. As my usual good luck would have it, a friend with a construction business called me up as he was about to start a slate roof and his usual tree guy was MIA, so he and I did the removal ourselves. It was humbling, inspiring, and confidence building all at the same time. I learned that my rock climbing gear worked pretty well, but i needed a better ascent setup (I was using SRT), and I really need some more "education" than just youtube and my knack for figuring things out as I go. So in that arena, anyone willing to let me tag along for a few days (or part time when needed if you are close enough)? I am very happy to trade labor for teaching. I am in South Eastern PA and would obviously prefer someone local, but i am willing to travel for a few days if needed. Sorry for the long initial post, i just cant shut myself up sometimes!

Welcome woodslinger! You've come to the right place. :thumbup::D
There's a whole of experience in the members here and it's very relaxed.
Any questions you have feel free to ask and I'm sure they will be answered in a helpful way, that's the way they treat a "noob" like me anyway..... :thumbup:;)

My name is Randy. :)

Welcome, Chris. Generally we are nice people here, but with rock climbers we reserve the right to be rude...just because :D.

Generally don't move much. Nor do the people climbing them tend to be removing part or all of the structure being climbed, either. Very easy, when you think about it :D.

I agree, rock is a pretty simple go / no-go. Either you figure out the move and hang on or you go for a little ride. The cliff doesn't bounce you around just cuz the wind blew. . .
Trees are a whole other ball game, and i love them

107856523_large_2f433d.jpg

So easy a kid can do it.

and a bear

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xAB9-VGIkzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.womensmovement.com/5-things-ive-learned-sasha-digiulian/ and ladies:)

sasha-digiulian-e1343881260987.jpg

Yea these guys are blowin' you some smoke about the rocks Chris. I don't know many 55 year old rock climbers. Come to think of it, I don't know any rock climbers. Could be because we don't have any rocks around here though. Welcome

Fl does seem a bit flat in regard to climbing locations.
I do love rock climbing, and I push myself to try routes that are very hard, hence the sense of accomplishment, but I find trees to be a bit more intricate and less dependent on "crimp fingers". I think i just love climbing in general, and anything else that gets me off the ground. . .

Hi from the new guy.

Just wanted to drop my first post and say hi. My name is Mike Arsenault, I'm from southern NH. I've been heating my house with wood for the last 5 or 6 years with trees I've felled and processed myself. I guess 7 or 8 cords per season. I decided to start climbing about a year ago and started to research the industry. After purchasing all new gear from Treestuff months ago, I stumbled into this forum just last week, looks like a great place to hang out and learn from a bunch of salty tree guys. I have a diverse work history, starting in the fishing industry on my family charter boat in Gloucester MA, to stints in the US Navy and US Army, to a welder and machinist and electronics manufacturing to list a few. My current and final full time job is as a police officer for Harvard University (the best kept secret in policing.) I'm so new to climbing that I'm currently on my third tree removal. A silver maple with a six foot dia stem. I'll try to post some pics and video of the beast. I hope to contribute where I can and thanks in advance for all the knowledge.

Back