Page 6370 of 6406 FirstFirst ... 53705870627063206360636863696370637163726380 ... LastLast
Results 63,691 to 63,700 of 64054

Thread: How'd it go today?

Been back in Sydney for a couple of weeks, think this will be my last work here. They put the tip prices up since Christmas, nearly double. Minimum charge $55 for 200kg or 440lbs, even the cheaper one I found last year has gone from $8 to $20 a cubic meter.

Can't survive here these days without a chipper. So I'm taking todays load home with me and I'll chip it there, what I save on tip fees will pay for my fuel home.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Damn - those are some high fees!

Besides, I'm rich in the things that really matter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-may-not-be-rich.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	94019
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

With dump charges like that eating up profit. Damn

Customer pays dump fees.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Sounds GREAT to me, but...

Everyone in that market is facing the same situation, right? Either they use the same dump sites as everyone else with the same costs, or they use private dump sites, or buy property to dump/ recycle greenwaste.

Any biz needs to adjust rates to new expenses, right? The cost of most things, save technology, goes up over time. When was the last time there was deflation?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Had a chill day with my employee around the shop. Organized, cleaned a bit, got some firewood put up, and after lunch I put him up a tree as part of a good send-off.

With some coaching from me and his mentor in the Union, he killed it on his apprenticeship test. Some of the testees were soft, plain soft, from the sounds of it. A lot were not so good at listen to instructions.

He was the only one to check the scaffold wheel locks and assembly before committing to climbing it.

I've got some pics of him at work, and have been encouraging him to put a portfolio together, just for his future use. I think he can get some street cred with the new crew showing some good climbing and mini-operating. Got him a good video sequence of a couple cuts, slight reposition, and a couple cuts, up close, from above. Stuff to show his family, too, that he is more than a stick-picker-upper-feeder-of-stick-eater.

Good show from your worker on his test. Anybody, anywhere should inspect a scaffold before using it. We remind users to lock the wheels by way of a tag but it's still up to them to read it.

Also a good idea making a video for him. It might pique his interest to stick around when he can see how cool of a job it can be. Having friends and family ooh and ahh over a clip of him aloft won't hurt either.

Today is day 10 on my knee rehab & with my usual impatience, am desperate to get walking & functioning normally, as I am already starting to climb the walls. I damaged the ligaments (lateral collateral) so the time frame is uncertain, but I already have 90% movement so I am guessing weeks not months.
    To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
    Bernadette Devlin