How'd it go today?

Mark Chisholm footlocked 500' up a building for the tv show you bet, I think the guy with dreadlocks was bern strausser, and his footlock was on a bridge?

I have seen Bernd's climb of 100 meters many years ago, but it is not there now. I know one of the tree companies had a video of it at an ISA in Minneapolis. Bernd was there also commenting on it at the booth. That is the last time I saw it.

Feeling a bit burnt out and tired atm. The 23rd we got a call about a large red oak on a house(I'll throw pics up later, fun job overall, just stressful) We worked it christmas eve, then the 26th and 27th, finally got it off and down yesterday. Tricky tree, very little equipment access and what we had was tricky at that for equipment. Nick came down for 2 days and helped out a ton with it. After work I was busy running around to a few of the gf's family members houses for christmas stuff, or helping her out when she was sick. Just burnt out with all the running around and everything else, ready for a little calmness.

Wasn't there a story in the book Arborist Equipment about a guy footlocking 600' from a bridge? He had to cut the line off as well due to the weight.

Myrtle* is home for the holidays. I've got about 15k feet of pine to cut next door, and another 15k to cut across town. All for timber projects.

2012-12-22_12-22-37_892.jpg

*Note, it's not Myrtle the Turtle. At least not yet, we've kept it wheels down so far.:lol:

I had a nice climb in a native Liquidambar yesterday, right on the waters edge with the colors changing. Very enjoyable. A friend and fellow climber snapped a photo...

IMG-20131228-WA0002.jpg

Did some horse trading yesterday and got a Bandit 150xp. Traded my 65xp with 515hrs for a 150xp with 644hrs. I'm psyched to get back to "production chipping", haha!

Nice skidder, Dave. I ran the same one, sans grapple, for a long time. It was a loud, dependable, nearly unstoppable machine.8)

Got a call yesterday from a property manager that I've done a lot of work with over the years. A new roof needs to go on Monday. Can you come over the weekend and clear the roof (canopy raise) a line of trees?

Easy couple hours. Tacked on a little for the 'emergency'. Got the truck seen driving across town. Went to the REI Garage Sale (scratch and dent and returns). Parked the truck and chipper in the parking long. Probably 300 people in line waiting. Good advertising.

Dahlia has pink eye, and a runny, runny nose and fever.

Parent product tips: Black Elderberry syrup and throat spray are good for infant/ toddler/ kid/ adults colds. Nasal decongestant without drugs. Hylands teething tablets are good, in Dahlia's experience. Spilanthes tincture from a health food type/ natural store is also good for tooth pain. Some sorta natural numbing agent. Great for teething, with the Hyland's.

Sean, pretty good actually. Have some contract work lined up with a couple HOA and property management companies. Not a lot, but should be enough to pull through winter and hit the hustle in the spring :) Next big ticket item is a chip truck, I'm tired of shoveling chip...
Sounds like some good advertising! :thumbup: It's all about the local exposure. +1 on the sambucus. I had a horticulture teacher who made a great tincture every fall, works great.

We went hiking near Emmental. It has been plus temps and rain here the last days and I wanted to get up in the snow.
Not the nicest of days, a heavy föhn wind blowing, but still a nice hike.
I took a couple of pictures of Eiger Nordwandt for Ed.

P1000051.JPG P1000054.JPG

Nice, Stig.

Ian,
Sean, pretty good actually. Have some contract work lined up with a couple HOA and property management companies. Not a lot, but should be enough to pull through winter and hit the hustle in the spring :) Next big ticket item is a chip truck, I'm tired of shoveling chip...
Sounds like some good advertising! :thumbup: It's all about the local exposure. +1 on the sambucus. I had a horticulture teacher who made a great tincture every fall, works great.

Tarp Lasagna. Layer it in to chips every 6" or so, then you can grab the front corner and roll it , sorta like a parbuckle. Have your heard this plan before?

I recently talked to a realtor. She said that they have 'mailboxes' in the office for tangible marketing (brochures, letter of intro, etc). she suggested if I got 3 jobs out 500, I'd be doing alright. Get in with one, then you're ahead for the next agent, and the next. They swap leads. I proposed a pre-purchase tree inspection (avoid a potential huge cost, say with a huge rotten maple hanging over a new septic system in the critical root zone... seen it) go along with the structural inspection. I've done one or two consults as pre-purchase after the prospective buyer found me.

I found out that there is a local HOA association (an association of HOAs) to approach. I think this could be good seasonal work if planned far enough in advance (let's schedule it in the winter, and do it for less), but will have to accept less than from residential customers, and winter work is slow, so bids received in the winter are less, too.

I lost two bids for HOAs recently due to not being low bid. HOAs and property manageres are not like working for a bazillionaire.

Back