How'd it go today?

Sometimes I feel pretty lucky. Other times not so much. If you mean my food choices, they've gotten MUCH better since I was a kid. That's come at the cost of a lot of farmland, and unpleasant drives with the crush of humanity around me. I'm strategic when I go to town for groceries or whatever. I try to go early in the morning to get in and get out before everyone wakes up.

I've done pretty well with my career. Haven't made a ton of money, but it's been good as far as jobs go. Seen a lot of cool stuff, done some cool things, and have had a lot of autonomy most people can only dream of. I like to complain generally, but I really have no right to. I've had a pretty good and lucky life in a low key bluecollar kind of way. Not win a million dollars lucky, but pretty much always had what I needed lucky :^)

I think Jim is talking about our many choices of places to chow down. He lives way out in the sticks...

Yea, I figured. It was a good opportunity to reflect on my luck though. Also, he might want to consider what he wishes for. My food choices are pretty good now, but I miss the old days when this was a small town, you could move around easily, or easily get away from people for awhile. I might give up the food to have real country again. That would take long consideration if I were given the choice.

I live back in the sticks not Jim. They don’t have sticks out there, he’s so far back there’s nothing behind him. Go as far as you can go and it’s still another 100 mile, lucky bastage.

No he made jelly from the fruit.

I guess it’s nice having so many choices for restaurants. I have to guess though because between the wife and I, we decided long ago that we can make a better tasting meal. It’s very rare to go out to dinner for us. The last few times have been disappointing

So Deva...I recently did a similar course in Tassie...I asked whether I could cut trees that were juuuust resting on the plastic coated (cause it's not really insulation) service drop (220v)...answer...no. That sucks because of course people wait till trees are IN the wires before they call!

Neither can I cut branches above low or high voltage wires...
I can cut trees that are 500mm away from low voltage but I and my tools have to remain 1.2m away...
And I can cut trees that are 1.2m from high voltage but I and my tools must be 3m away
Also I have to have an accredited spotter present who does nothing but watched me work...

How does that compare to what you just learned?

Yeah...apparently that is next level stuff...but I might invest, I have a friend who works for the network:/:
I mentioned before how getting the power turned off involves lots of money and an electrician to be there for turning off and on...lotta red tape.

Every treeco should have a set of hot glove in a gun case with their gear. They won't be used much, but when you need them... hell yea!

Very similar... higher the voltage farther the Minimum Approach Distance... with this class and 1st aid and CPR and Aerial Rescue... we get an Icidental Line Clearance Certification... more Incidentals get zapped than the 9-5 line clearance folks... so a big push to make us municipal folks aware... and another layer of liability.

Many electrocutions every year.

The EHAP class i did he told of line clearance guys getting electrocuted because they touched a phone or coaxial cable line that was carrying enough voltage from being in contact with power lines half a block away. Left it with the flavor that you can't touch even phone lines.

Did you get that?

Was supposed to be training/breaking in my 2 new brush monkeys today, but #1 called in sick, so was left w/part time #2 only. Walked him threw a few basic knots, chainsaw 101, outfitted him w/his chaps and helmet and put him to the test. I rigged and lowered out a 30ft, ~600lb limb from a 90'ft ash tree that has to go from my property, and he got POW and maneuver/cut duty around the neighbor's fence 10t away from the stem. He did pretty good (only pinched the saw bar once de-limbing it), and seems enthusiastic about the future prospects I have lined up (he was shaking his head for about 20 mins after the limb was done; he couldn't believe how much control he got w/the POW on such a big piece). Hopefully his friend (who was sick #1) works out as good tomorrow. Will post pics from that job here and on the work pics thread..

It's amazing how hard it is to get good help nowadays... and a pity.

Most people have workplaces that are less dangerous than their homes. Office workers have few slick surfaces, like a bath tub.

In tree work, you don't just hit 'Enter', hoping the default choice that was selected for a person is correct.

Week or more of rain... Something about some ocean, nearby.

“It's amazing how hard it is to get good help nowadays... and a pity.”

I had a helper that thought he could sweep and be on fakebook at the same time. Wonder if he’s multitasking on his next job.

Smartphones have REALLY frigged up people's work ethics, especially the younger ones! :X

content.php

Back