How'd it go today?

Ha! You oughtta see Young Richard's new lawn mower.

He give a borrowed dollar in folding cash for it.

kpZHskJ.jpg

I like that welder. I can't weld, and have no comprehension of how that thing works, but it sure looks cool.

Those old school reel mowers work very well for treeless yards. I used one for years, but unfortunately(?), I never had a treeless yard. They'll hit a stick, stop dead, and jam the bars into your stomach. I broke my first one throwing it cause it stopped one too many times on a very hot day. The second one I just burned out on. I spend my days walking around in the heat, and don't need to do more of it after work. I now sit on my ass and ride around the yard. They also punish laziness. They're as easy to operate as a rotary mower when you keep up with the grass. Let the grass get long, and it'll be about the worst job in the world. I'd rather use posthole diggers in a boulder field :^D

Since we are getting a bit of frost, I picked all the chilies and made and canned 3 different hot sauces and jalapeno rings.
Spent all day in the kitchen.
For some reason, the Jalapenoes didn't yield much this year, whereas I'm drowning in Habaneros.

Zhug is a condiment traditionally made in Yemen. Really tasty.
I don't can it, it has to be fresh.
It'll keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, so I just made enough for me and the rest of the team.
I froze a bunch of chilies, so I can make more over winter. P1070228.JPG

Someone gave me an old tarp off one of those carport structures. I had some stuff covered with it for about a year and then it sat in a pile for a year. I almost took oi to the dump last week. Turns out, on a whim, it covers our little hay barn that a squeeze got stacked in recent. Barn still needs a roof and I still need money for materials. So, problem solved for tyhis winter. Happy wife that bought the alfalfa.

I welded or at least tried to with an old electric driven Westinghouse generator. Old antique pos. It would squeal and whistle at the arc. Hard to weld when you’re laughing.

Are they a dc generator like a 200? If so i would imagine it would weld similarly if it was set up right.... or am i not understanding something? I'm sure it wouldn't be a redface, but i bet it would weld better than most inverters out there.

If I’m not mistaken Kyle I believe it was an alternator, probably not even intended to weld with. I do remember the ol fart that owned the shop said to be careful not to let it shock ya.

Lol i would be laughing then too!! I remember when i was an apprentice we had a quick aluminum job we had to do, and the only machine we had to do it with was a Miller dial arc with high frequency.... and no foot pedal. So you would turn it to ac, turn on the high frequency, and then hold the torch at arms length trying not to get shocked lol. I got zapped repeatedly, and the journeyman/ foreman just said "stop being such a pussy" hahahahahaha

I found a picture of said relic.

A2A46016-7DA3-4D6A-930F-171F1C7B60A0.jpeg

This place was a pre-civil war foundry, Fitz Matthews Foundry. Started out as Fitz Water Wheel Company. When I worked there in 77 it was the oldest continuing business in town. I was the last employee of T.E. Matthews, something I never put on my resume’. lol

Everything in the place ran off drive lines in the ceiling except the “welder” and a horizontal mill. Damn medieval chithole.

I've tasted zhug Stig!
We had an Israeli guy crewing with us when we were sailing in the Med...his parents were from Iraq, his mum sent him with a whole load of homemade ethnic food...zhug was one, bout damn near blew my mouth apart, stuff was HOT!

Back