How'd it go today?

Just got back home from a friends'. He scooped the "florida" out of my mandolin fingerboard for me.

Also left my guitar there to get the bridge glued back down.

Ordered some new strings for the mandolin.

Trying not to notice the grass that needs mowed...

Do you mean scalloped? I've always wanted to try one of those necks out. It seems to make good sense to me, but I also think it might not be so hot cuz you so rarely see that in guitars. Is it more common in mandolins???

Scalloped fretboards on guitars were sorta popular in the 80s(maybe later?) with the speedy classical influenced metal players. Problem with them is they take very precise finger pressure, and it's easy to push the string out of tune, especially for someone ham handed like me :^D

I played one scalloped fretboard, it is really night and day. A floyd rose is almost mandatory at that point i think

Do you mean scalloped? I've always wanted to try one of those necks out. It seems to make good sense to me, but I also think it might not be so hot cuz you so rarely see that in guitars. Is it more common in mandolins???

No "scooped".

Jimmy did mine with a dremel drum sander, and covered the rest of the instrument for dust, but this is essentially the same operation.

https://musicvillageusa.com/blogs/gu...gerboard-scoop

The "sweet spot" for most lead picking falls in the area that is lowered...gets rid of annoying clicks the pick can make when striking strings.

My first electric guitar was a modern(at the time) Fender Strat, made in Japan. Had a full floating bridge and a locking nut. Was a super PITA to tune. It took some guess work to save time. Had to keep going over it again and again til you got it right, cause tuning one string affected all the others due to the floating bridge. If you were really unlucky, you'd run out of screw on the bridge, and have to unlock the nut, and start all over. Got rid of that, and got a 62 reissue Strat. All old tech. I set it up so the bridge rested on the body. You could only go down in pitch. Didn't use it much anyway.

edit:
I mentioned all that cause I think the Floyd Rose worked the same way. Terrible. It would take dollar bills falling out of the bridge to get me to use one.

Depends on what kind of music you play. While they take much longer to tune, they are awesome for incredible hardcore bends and dives for heavy lead in hard rock. While dimebag was amazing and could probably play a broomstick with dental floss, Pantera wouldn't have had even close to the same sound without it, nor would Van Halen. Imagine trying to play eruption on a fender strat, it would be completely impossible, you would be so out of tune you wouldn't be able to tell wtf you were trying to play. They actually stay in tune better once you stretch out the strings, so they have their place. Blues is super fun on them as well, because you can push down on the bridge to bend up quite a bit too so you can do super high bends that are almost impossible to do otherwise. They also make drop tuning levers for them, so you can instantly change tunings for different stuff too.

I have several guitars, most are old school but i have an American made Jackson, complete with custom pickups and active sustainic electronics. I'm not good enough to even come close to doing all the cool stuff it can do.

I never saw the attraction of Dimebag. I bet Tommy Emmanuel could play anything DD played, easily.

Maybe. Have you ever learned any pantera stuff? It's very challenging, his mastery of pinch harmonics changed the way metal was played. All good guitarists could play other people's stuff, but thinking up the stuff in the first place is the hard part.

I never was a fan of distorted or augmented vocals. Pantera was cool until the singing started. Guitar tricks are OK, but I bet Tommy E or Mark Knopfler could do the same thing.

Picked up my van. Helped load some chips for friends. Went and chunked all the stuff the MS 250 was good for chunking on the big maple (my 261 needs an oiler, so I used cheap groundie saw). All cut and chuck today. Ground man kept up cutting the stuff that was bigger than singles, and the rest of the fine clean-up. Had to do a lot of singles, and shoot free throws into the drop zone. Gave the concreted 4x4 post for a potting area roof a bit of a wiggle, but no septic wiggling.

Rigging and ms460 time on Monday, for one big stem with the big hollow, with an overhead rigging point on the more solid stem. Might just go with the POW. The angling, funky, hollow base might not be the best for the GRCS. Still haven't had any real need for it, but when I do, I will be happy to have it.

Okay....here it is.....

Young Richard has his hand on the polarity gear shift....

9SmO9YU.jpg

Back