How'd it go today?

I have been a bit wonky since yesterday when I took our fat beef to be slaughtered.

I guess I got triggered (ha!) by all the blood on the floor.

Now I see what you were referring to in Levi's job thread.

This episode is interesting, I'd like to hear more about it if you care to.

FFZ: "Meat is a helluva thing"

Ha!

Yeah....the blood pooled up on the floor brought back all the images of that suicide I attended a while back.

Then my buddy unloads on me about a terrible run he went on.....been upset about that one too. The run itself was crappy...but the circumstances that led up to it were a fugging shame.

Its dry again this year. Prices are low. Farming conditions are crappy.....late frosts and what not.

On top of that.....all the organic guys are letting their Canada Thistle go to seed. Its like boom times in the oil field for them....they give no shits because of all the money they are making.

My fugging farm is covered up with it now. Was spraying yesterday and found huge patches of the weed where I had never seen it before.

At the end of the day my hands were shaking.....no idea what to do next!

I did have to give myself a pep talk after taking the fat beef to slaughter.

Kind of a "whats the point" feeling.....then I told myself that I was providing the safest, highest quality meat I possibly could for my family. No extra crap.

I felt better after that.

Did you watch the slaughter, why or why not? How do they kill them?

I don't capiche the canada thistle thing- are you saying a weed that adjacent organic farmers have let run wild is in your field now? From a greenhorn, I'd say that even if the organic approach has its ups and downs, since it is better in the long run, it is better overall.

Good call on the pep talk

He shoots the animal in the back of the horse trailer.

Then they drag him out and hoist him up to bleed.

Yeah, I watched most of it.

Figured its the least I could do. I did that too him....so I better not pussy out now!

No, I dont think that organic farming is any fugging good at all. At least not how most of them do it.

They were actually better farmers when the prices were lower. Now they are raping the land to fill their wallets. Screwing their neighbors too.

On top of that.....all the tillage they are doing....on land that should never be tilled.

Last winter there were three foot high and 100 foot long drifts of top soil blowed out onto the ditches and onto the roads.

You dont see that in anything other than these pricks "organic".

Now that I am covered up with their Canada Thistle.....I will have to start raising conventional wheat so that I have better herbicide options.

Trouble is that you lose money on conventional wheat. No rotations....no diversity.....no cover crops either.

I might as well plant it all back to grass.

Does the cow die instantly?

Yeah I used the term organic wrong, I was trying to express 'non-conventional', shoulda said 'no-till/cover crops'.

A full on snow drift of top soil?!? Geez that is bad.

I don't think it's your responsibility to watch the slaughtering amd butchering, unless you like that sort of thing and I don't think you do.

I am surprised that the organic guys are so irresponsible with the land. Do they not know how the dust bowl was started.

I've been stump grinding for a while.
My least favourite job, but about the only thing a guy with broken ribs can do.
Last week the job didn't get finished, because the grinder ( Bandit 2100) died on me.
Got it fixed and today I went and finished the job.

What a pisser: 3 hours of driving to grind for 1½ hour!

So, to sweeten thing a bit, I invited the wife along, since she has the week off.

The job was for the 3rd largest campground in Denmark ( Room for 2250 trailers or mobile homes :O)

They are right at the best beach on the Island.

So, while I worked, the mail order bride walked on the beach.
Beaches are a wonder to the Swiss, probably the way the are to someone like Jim.

When I had finished, I went swimming with Thais, the last dog.
The water was fine, almost no icefloes.
Global warming be praised.

Then we drove to Præstø, the nearby town, with most houses and cobbled streets dating back to medieval times.( I had a bitch of a time getting the truck and trailer through), and had lunch on the harbour front.

I've never taken my dogs to town, having 2 or 3 big mutts on the leash is not my idea of fun.

In fact, none of my dogs have been on the leash, ever.

So it was a first for Thais.
Went real well.
I just walked him on " Heel" and the leash never got straightened out.

At the outdoor restaurant he stayed put, while my wife fed him tidbits.

A new way of life for him, and a new way of having dogs for me.

Seems to be working out.

It's cool how he thinks his buddy is still on vacation. That's gonna help with any separation anxiety for sure...

Yep.
He is starting to wonder a bit, so a day like this with lot and lots of new, strange, inputs , is fine.
I had not planned on having only one dog, ever.

But with Jack not working out, and the Leuchemia putting an end to me getting more dogs, Thais will just have to adjust to the situation.

Makes me feel really bad , though.

They are pack animals.

Back