How'd it go today?

Good question Mick.

This property has been part of our operation for 45 years. Dad started out leasing it and we have continued.

The owners all of a sudden decided to sell to us....so we bought.

We couldn't afford to be with out it.

It was actually good timing with our EQUIP program we already had in place for the property.

Yes, we have struggled the last few years. Apparently I am harder on myself than the banks though.

We have loads of equity we have not had to cash in, mainly because we are so conservative.

We put everything back into the place. So we are actually much better off than our neighbors.

Boring yes, but better off financially!

First job was an uneventful silver maple removal, saved the wood for firewood on the log truck. Started to grind the stump, but the grinder bearings and drive chain gave way -- time for more maintenance. On to Job #2:

Watching diy getting- unstuck videos is useful.
I guess I shouldn't have read this thread yesterday. Both trucks got stuck today in the same property, about the same spot. First the chip truck got stuck backing in. Flat ground, at first glance seemed solid enough despite some measure of snow melt. Then we realized that the gushing water nearby wasn't coming from the downspout, but from a sump pump in the basement. It was turning the whole area into a marsh, sinking the chipper & making it an 8000 lb. boat anchor. Oh well, we did the job: remove 2 medium black walnuts (we got the logs, bonus!) while I took down a mulberry leader over the power lines. To get out, I sprinkled some chips under the tires and we hitched the 4x4 F150 pickup (4x4 low) to the front tow hooks and gave it just enough extra forward momentum to get out.

Then it was the log truck's turn. Backed it in, picked up the logs, craned out the 2 trunks, loaded them up -- then its rear wheels started spinning in the marsh (stick, granny low). Tried tugging on it with the 10,000 lb chipper winch, no go. Had to use the grapple telescoping out to another walnut trunk and alternately the ground to push the truck from behind + using the winch to pull from the front. That got the truck out, but it blew a tire on a railroad tie as it was coming out of the yard into the alley.

And whoever hooked the chipper winch line to the front of the truck just used the open end of the steel carabiner as a hook without closing the gate, so it was just a bit bent out of shape after the ordeal, but not by much. 1/2" 8000 lb. old climbing line held & the winch spindle didn't give either.

Chip truck got stuck in the mud today. It almost drove out till something in the powertrain broke.

Any similar experiences?

Im guessing a broken axle. Happened to me. Relatively easy fix.

Most excellent Jim :) Leasehold is inherently nerve wracking...will they/won't they extend, re-negotiate, sell, take it back....now it's YOURS!

Worked a new climber today. Guy was a marine infantry, helped pull down saddam's statue. Seems like a good guy but is a disabled vet. He caught a Bomb fragment, suffers from PTSD.
Interesting to talk with him, did a good job also

Good stuff, Frans!
I sent my family post cards of the statue falling lol. Those guys at the invasion had it rough. Very little comforts that most of us consider a necessity.

Worked a new climber today. Guy was a marine infantry, helped pull down saddam's statue. Seems like a good guy but is a disabled vet. He caught a Bomb fragment, suffers from PTSD.
Interesting to talk with him, did a good job also

Hopefully he sticks around and does a good job for you.
We had a ranger who did two tours in Iraq working with us on and off the past few years. Not a bad guy but he really wasn't cut out for tree work and talked constantly about the most random shit ever.

Seems like a good guy but is a disabled vet. He caught a Bomb fragment, suffers from PTSD.

You're in Cali, Ive seen a lot of stuff re treating PTSD by teaching them to surf, perhaps that would interest him.

Back