How'd it go today?

LOL I basically gave the same pitch to my wife.
We picked up another three inches so far not suppose to stop until 4am warmish at 28*F.

when we logged for 7 weeks at a castle on the island Møn last summer, we realized that a lot of the trees around the buildings were in very bad shape.
We told the owner, and he has asked us to come down and do away with them.
So next week, if I don't show up here, it is because I'm out of range.
Even phones don't work too well down there.
Should be a fine time, a nice break from logging and I really like the couple who own the castle.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

Maybe get a video camera.

Played at taxi driver today. Nephew to next town down the xpressway for job interview, Then Sis to the City for Dr., then her friends to get water, and store to shop...'bout time for breakfast & a nap now...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-QWL-FwX4t4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Supposed to take down an oak spar in the front yard and a cedar in the back. Rolled out with all the iron -- log truck, bucket truck, and chip truck. Craned out the oak log & set it on the truck, then around back to piece out the cedar, and winch the logs out through the back gate to make them accessible to grab with the grapple. Property owner arrived, turned out she wanted the oak for firewood, almost wanted to keep the cedar, too -- but convinced her it wasn't good firewood. Probably not even good for milling. Then she added a declining ash out front, victim of EAB. So that filled up the afternoon slot after lunch. Systematic removal with the grapple + bucket truck, very little brush to chip, leave all wood. Then I ground all 3 stumps. Done at 5 on the dot.

Put 7 tanks of fuel through the 462 today. I really like this saw. Kept the boys very busy loading the chipper with the skid loader. 8 loads of chips today and still have at least 3 more on the ground. I think I kinda scared them with how fast I walked through that area. We have a dozen or so trees left but have to wait on the city to remove the chain link fence first. Not a big deal since we have plenty more to do there.

They should. Mine ordered one for me. They’re not carrying it yet because of their current stock of 461’s. They will be hard To sell once the 462 is on the shelves.

Latest job started Saturday and was paused on Sunday. Pieced down a declining 30" diameter maple on Saturday. Prepared all the brush to chip and stacked all the firewood for a Sunday chipping and firewood pickup day. Chipper has new knives, battery charged, greased all ports. 2.5 hours into chipping, the hydraulic feed stops. We stop the chipper, it won't re-start. We jump start it, hydraulic feed runs for 5 minutes. Shut down the chipper. Can't start it again. We bring the chipper back to its home base and after hours of testing the charging system I found a bad connection in the regulator and stator harness. Looks like the solenoids for the pump stop working when the voltage drops below 12 volts. I need to recreate the failure mode before going back on site. It really sucked to be stuck at the client's house with a dead chipper.

The lack of voltage failure mode is not even covered in the manual because the engine is strapped on rather than embedded in the chipper. I am thinking of putting a voltage indicator.

People sell used equipment for a reason. The reason is never "It's perfect but I just want to replace it anyway". When you buy used, no matter what it is, there will always be issues and bugs to work out. Don't let it discourage you. Take the opportunity to get to know your machine and fix all issues that come up. Once you work the bugs out you will not only have a solid machine, but you will know the machine well enough to keep it running perfect for years to come.

Yes, bang on Brian, I hope that holds true for my new (to me) chipper.

I’ll keep the old one for a couple of months to get to know the new one’s foibles.

Yes, I referred to it in the ocgd thread.

Schliesing 75hp on a turntable, 850 hrs.

6 hours from me, I’m going Friday with a bankers draft, I could turn around and come home if I don’t fancy it.

Attachments

• 3905A161-03AA-4B29-B8B0-FEA2619AF413.jpg
    3905A161-03AA-4B29-B8B0-FEA2619AF413.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 43
Back