How'd it go today?

Small job today. Removed 2 bushes and stumps. Made some framework for keeping grindings in, I wrapped them in sheets and blankets I have when grinding. Going to sew something up to just slip on the frames. I added another gaurd at the bottom rear of the stump grinder between the wheels. Took a bad hit from a rock last time in the leg and I'm still recovering from it. I think chaps will be on more often when grinding from now on.

20180822_095356.jpg

Pete I bought a mesh shade tarp from Northern Tool that I use on my grinder screen plus it was big enough for three replacements. $50-60 I think still on the first set. Image 1.jpg

When framing alone, the Gehl is a wonderful assistant. This is a 22' 4" triple LVL beam. I'd guess it's weight at around a grand. (I can't figure out why it double-posted, and the bottom one is sideways....)

HaAoXff.jpg

Attachments

• AABD5268-5B1A-44E4-BB81-DBE25899C99C.jpg
    AABD5268-5B1A-44E4-BB81-DBE25899C99C.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 32
That is damn cool TreeSmith.

I wish I could build things like that. Hats off.

I spent the day in Canada. Called the border about my not having a passport and neither side knew much. The Canadians said it was the Americans who required a pass port.....the Americans said it was the Canadians that required a pass port.

Neither side required a pass port!

Went up through Climax Sask......headed west to get to Maple Creek.

Got sort of lost....my phone would not work in Canada and my map did not contain many of the roads or towns that I happened across.

Finally got to Maple Creek and used the phone at the bar to call the fellow I needed to.

North to Golden Prairie to pick up attachment.

To get home I went west to Gull Lake and south to Shaunavan and then Climax.

It would have been nice if that road...I think its 37....was on my map.

Big day. Stressful traveling through south west Sask. I am tired.

Rest easy Jim sounds like a heck of a turn and burn.

We are headed up to Felch MI to do some work at a custy's cabin sound pretty rustic propane lights and a gen set. About 5-6 hours north. Sanch goes to the U P. Should be a movie, right. At least I'll get to cut in my happy place, the woods. 30 or so trees with a "take what ever is hazardous" clause. Leaving 5am tomorrow so after I sign out TTFN.

That's funny Jim. But I can tell you this. As a Canadian you aren't heading south without a passport or a passport enhanced license.

It was not without some peril.

The intersections where the little north south two lanes cross the Trans Canada are scary as hell. You feel like a lemming who has changed his mind as the Canadians become piled up behind you when you are in the center "safety" zone. Like they might push you across if you dont hurry up.

Also, the Asian people who run all of the Convenience stores that are not Co Op stores are sort of pushy.

Other than that it was an interesting adventure.

I got to talk to a couple Canadian farmers today. We all learned some stuff.

As per usual, Canadian Talk Radio is very pleasant and informative.

Shaunavon is getting a new doctor and the greatest Canadian female hockey player of all time is going to work for the Leafs I think. She has 4 olympic gold medals you know and is also from Shaunavon.

The local callers are concerned about dairy and poultry and why it costs so much.

Also, some dude with a ladies first name quit the Tories in Quebec. The other Tories are pissed and the dude lady is gonna start a new party.

In other news Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took time out from a busy schedule at the Liberal policy retreat to visit with fire fighters in BC.

More news to follow at 10......

I have been across the border with no enhanced or passport numerous times. They tell us we need one but a guy I know that works on the bridge says not really.
Last time I came back the guy did give me some attitude. Lets see, I am in the vehicle with my sister, son, and grandson. We grew up 20 miles from the border.
Think we might be terrorists or illegal aliens?

We covered this. As an American it's no problem like Jim just experienced. As a Canadian you aren't visiting the USA as far as I know with plain old ID. Have I missed something all these years and you're a Canadian?

Jim do you recall hearing about the humboldt bronco hockey team bus disaster recently? Those intersections that had your spidey sense tingling are bad news.

I have quite a pile of wood accumulating. Been hauling from an 11 tree removal job, 9 are sizable. Mostly dead wood, so I'm loading up a good supply.

I worked two days by myself, as my employee needed a day off, then his car broke down out of town. His buddy got it back to the local area, and he has two cars in the family, so he's not suck.

He brought his buddy along for an extra set of low-skill hands. Hopefully he does better wearing boots that fit him, not borrowed boots. He might or might not be worth it, with new boots today. We'll see.

A pair of work boots starts at $15 at Walmart.

My shoulder is sore, so whatever he gets done, without getting hurt or breaking stuff, is better than be doing it. Looks like a strong enough guy, and 6'+. Seems smart enough. We'll see how real-world work-practical he is, when his feet don't hurt.

Two more fir snags to dump, then the big triple trunk to dismantle. That will be greener, heavier wood, so I'll load that at the end so that I can have the loader at home to unload them.

I need to set up a red-neck crane like Kyle showed us.

Yes, we heard all about that wreck Justin. One of those things that is so tragic it never really sinks in.

All in all I enjoyed my trip. The little differences and such were interesting. Been quite a few years since I was up there.

The infrastructure in the rural areas is 20 years behind us here in the States. The gravel roads were nice but the paved roads were terrible.

Another thing I noticed were the power poles were the skinny little crappers we were finally rid of 10 years ago or so.

I guess there just isnt a big enough well to draw from.

Swell folks though.

EDIT!!!!

This! I found it. This is what all your countrymen were pissed about yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_management_(Canada)

Yes our roads are crap compared to down there. Always have been as far as I've known. I've never been over to the prairies though beyond Alberta. But everywhere I've been in Canada and even around Bc is considably rougher seeming than right here in the southern interior of BC. I feel lucky to live here.

Day off of tree work today -- I let another crew mate catch up the 2 stumps we had to grind. Instead, my focus was the opposite end of the complexity spectrum: moving a handful of web sites from a dedicated server over to a VPS (virtual private server). Should result in no performance hit for the hosting customers and wind up at a 50% cost savings, so that's hands down a win. I'll be finishing up the niggling details over the weekend, but for sure a good block of family time reserved tomorrow, then back to the trees on Monday.

The smoke is getting brutal here. I've got two significant wildfires within 50-75km of me. The air quality index is maxed out and they recommend limited exposure to the outdoors. When I took my first break at work today I could see ash falling like light snow. It doesn't seem to bother me much. A little congestion, but others it seems to really affect.

Life goes on though. I hope it's not affecting me long term but I haven't modified my behaviour much at all. Smells like a campfire all day everyday.

I find the lung issues to be progressive. Like, few days, no big deal. A week.... things strat hurting...2 weeks, 3 and four. Progressive inability to breath without medication. Careful up there Justin. I got a mask eventually. Shoild have done so sooner.

Back