How'd it go today?

Truck envy.

Showed up at today's job and were canceled as Rob was unloading the mini. Guess the man of the house had a stroke and was in the hospital. Line time client. Lady of the house said she called and canceled last week, left a msg. Told her I did not get said message. Who did she call?
"You", she says." I looked you up in the yellow pages and called". I informed her we are not in the yellow pages. But the meth head family with the same last name is. Oh well. Back to the shop. Load up for Monday's job and get a start on that. Lost some daylight though. Finish the spar and haul logs out Monday. Chipping is done and hauled off.
Left the lady of the house another card, sending some flowers and a card.

You can get rid of chips all over the place here. Most farms take them and there is a composting type place that takes them also. They do charge for all other debris.

Good luck with that. I must have missed it, how did you hurt it?

My gaff slipped out as I was spiking down a half rotten beech stem. Slid for about 1.5m before I managed to get my left gaff into the timber. Unfortunately I had gained quite a bit of momentum by then & took the full weight on my knee, twisting it. Having a big saw & rigging block on my harness did not help either. I was not paying enough attention to my gaff placement I guess, as I was just happy to have finished rigging down the stem.

Tell me a smart way....I walked into the stationary ramps that were stored on the service body top, but I had my helmet on. That was stupid. Guess who put them in there normal storage place...me. There is the easy position for lashing the ramps, and there the position where they are out of the way fully when walking around the truck in a hurry, that take a hair more doing, but is as I designed it to be built and used.

Some people think I'm too safe by using a choking climbing line for fall arrest, because a flipline should be good enough..."that's how we always used to" get hurt, I mean, work. People make gaffing out to be a slide to a gentle stop. Occasionally, I slide down a maple trunk a bit by not setting a spur quite deep enough, and with a bit of "barking-up" under the spur. Always stopped within 2'.

It became infected for some fricking reason. No chemo til the incision heals, then another port goes in. SHIT.

Damn! Sorry.

How are you feeling between rounds of chemo? How's your energy, disposition, etc.

It's evident that you're down about the slow-down at the TH, but besides that? Does the music still sounds good?

That really sucks Butch. Hope it heals quick.

I quite often use a choked line Sean, especially when trees get skinny or awkward & always when cutting. I was coming down the last 30ft of a decent sized stem & decided I didn't need to.

I hear that.

I like a double-wrap on my lanyard in skinny to really skinny wood. Dynamic loading in small wood is a recipe for disaster.

It's usually when I'm coming down that I gaff-out from barking up. A funny angle on a maple stem and not quite enough wood under the tip makes a long slice through the bark.

'Insignificant' tasks like propelling our body across a work zone, aka walking around, guard down, is when we walk into stationary ramps at 5' off the ground, sticking out 10" beyond the box where the are sometimes, and not at others. My friend tripped in an insignificant divot, and fell against the step-fuel tank on his big truck. Broke ribs. Died a month later from internal bleeding, but they restarted him 3 times. He's been a lot less capable (approaching 70) than before getting hurt.

That's why I don't accept obviously dangerous actions from employees. If they ar

Hang in there, MB

Damn, Pete! Well definitely thanks for sharing, it should help all of us with greater awareness.

"It's not over till its over" comes to mind re your mishap.

It's all good, except for the parts that suck. Never figured my retirement would roll like this, lulz!

Now just me...don't know how it went yet, just getting around for work.

Hasn't been that busy at the course with all the rain...might just go row nine holes instead of mowing...

I cannot get past page 6363 now. It shows 6364,6365,6373...Last

as available but it donna work for me.

If I click "Last" I am still at 6363.

Back