How'd it go today?

He got accepted for the Forester school next year, so he'll just find a one armed job till then and muddle through.

Foresters don't need 2 arms.

Gary, a throw where the thrower didn't let go of the arm.
Same way I got injured doing Aikido back in 81.
Mine was nowhere as severe, luckily.

Rotator cuff torn and as far as they can see from scanning him, a bunch of ligaments ripped.

That sucks Stig. Seems you've been going through a few apprentices recently. I hope you can find one that's up to snuff and has some longevity.

I am currently laid off for two weeks. Due to the market/log prices and all that jazz which has been putting the severe hurt on the BC forestry industry. Hopefully it's only two weeks!

My buddy tore his bicep fighting an arm bar. The jujitsu guy he was rolling with liked going against a bodybuilder because of the extra power to resist holds. The pop of the bicep signified victory for the jujitsu guy and an end for my buddy's MMA dreams.

Squisher, are you gonna find some treework to keep busy or just ride your motorbike?

Well I guess it’s a martial art, stuff like that can happen.

There comes the time when you have to put your livelihood in front of your active hobbies.

Usually when kids and mortgages arrive.

Ryan, what you descibe is an asshole move.
My apprentice ran into a rank beginner who didn't know when to let go.
So did I, back then.

You run into the sadists, who like to hurt others in Martial arts.
The trick is to recognize them early.
The guys who'll say: " Lets go easy" when fighting above their grade and then go wipe out a bunch of lower grades.
Back in the day we had a way of dealing with those.
Just keep sure they get matched again the instructors who'd beat the living daylights out of them without doing any permanent harm.

That usually made them stop coming to class.

Big time!
He would work in the woods 5 days, then work the weekend in an outdoor equipment store.

Never had a day off.

Reason: His girlfriend went to vetenary school.

She had a horse that she loved, but since she was on the State study founding ( SU), had no money to keep it in stabling, horseshoes and feed.
We pay young peeps to study and better themselves, but we sure don't pay for them to have pets.
So Martin decided to take care of that.

Now you probably know why I chuckle a little, when y'all go on about how lazy kids are compared to how we all got up to milk the cows every morning before sunup and toted baless of cotton till dark:lol:

Oops, that was the N....., sorry.

Thanks, Stig...things can go badly in a hurry...whether trees or MA. Hope Martin recovers OK. That kind of life changing injury can mess with your head.

I've told him that if thing go better than expected, he'll always have a job with us.

Man, I need to go to Portugal again.
It has been too long.

My big thing last I visited ( I was an old alcohol distiller, back then) was tasting the stuff made from the Arbutus tree, "Aguardente de Medronhos".

Seeing that the Arbutus has a cousin in the PNW called Madrone, made me think that the World is a small place, after all.

Also, of course, the Azure winged magpie and the Little Bustard made an impression.

I just looked at my bird field guide notes.
1992........................definitely time to go back:)

Now that's palm maintenance done properly, left them with a full head of leaves, very nice!

Back