How'd it go today?

The local Power supply company has been dropping notes to residents in my area to clear their trees away from the service drop...Getting some calls now, but I can't touch them when they are within 1 metre of the line...tiny stuff, twigs and small branches, nothing bigger that about 2-3", like half an hr and it would be done...there are only two companies on the list accredited to do the work and the closest one is an hr away, I'm looking into what it will take to get accredited...

Lol isn't that the power companies responsibility? If my power provider told me that i needed to trim vegetation of off their lines i would laugh in their faces. That is literally what you pay them for, to maintain the grid (aka lines) and to make power.

In my area, the service drop(defined as that portion of the line from the house to the pole) is the homeowner's responsibility.

Bermy, do you have access to an EHAP class where you are. I self-certified many years ago as a qualified line clearance tree trimmer. As I recall, the requirements were CPR/First Aid Certified, Aerial Rescue, and EHAP.

Yup. If it’s really necessary, they’ll arrange a time to disconnect the service line so tree work can be done. Around here anyways it’s free, it might take some time so call ahead of time by a few weeks.

True. We'd have service lines dropped all the time, for free. You just have to work around their schedule.

My friend and awesome climber Julie !
She first worked for me maybe 10 years ago, and I thought to myself "nah, good effort, but just not there".
Over time she progressed and now is a contender for any climber. Seriously. Happy to have her around. Jobs go smoothly and easily with her around.
It's even hard to snatch a pic because she is always on the go!
image.jpg

I guess I need to visit the 'uploading pics' thread :(

If you're using a smart phone...forgetaboutit. You're effed :|:.

Otherwise, fine post. I've crossed paths with several climbers of the female persuasion that totally kicked ass and took names. Not usual, but not beyond the realm either.

My fine friend Fiona would be at the top that list...just sayin' :D.

While taking the dog out last night I watched a large swoop of barn swallows feeding on a big cluster of dragonflies.

It was fun watching them dive down & grab a snack…

Today went awfully. Worked late, didn't get lunch, and almost fell out from heat exhaustion. Started a new stream restoration project, and have to layout limits of disturbance. There was a guy on a mini excavator helping a bit, but he can only do so much. That machine's about 20% of the size it needs to be. I had to carry about 100# of crap back in the woods, and try to juggle everything while getting stuff laid out. Had a 545FR brushcutter, a 2511t on my pistol belt, a prism pole with electronics, a total station and legs, and a backpack filled with water, rebar, blueprints, a metal detector, a hammer, and triangles and scales. Miserably hot, so naturally I had on chaps, a helmet, and the brushcutter harness. Oh, and I messed up my back two days ago on this job, so getting around's tedious.

Near the end of the day, I was cutting a fallen 16" cherry with my echo, and got the bar stuck. The excavator guy was in eyesight, but playing with his phone, windows up, ac on. Would have been easy for him to lift the log, but I couldn't get his attention. I could barely move at that point, so I didn't feel like walking through the rats nest of vines to get him. I remembered I stuck a wedge in my pack, last minute thing, Yay! But what to beat it in with? I'm looking around for sticks, and there's nothing that isn't rotten, and I remembered the hammer in my pack(My brain was fried at that point). A couple whacks, and I got my saw free. Did some more brushcutting, set a few more points, then packed it up. Got downpoured on on the ride home, the stuff in the bed of my truck got soaked cause I left the cover up, and now I'm enjoying my multitude of cramps. I literally just had to get up from a hamstring cramp, but my fingers feel nice too.

I might take tomorrow off...

It sure ain't safe to push yourself in the heat, and once you cross over and become ill you'll never be the same again. Beware!

This was the worst I've been in a long time. Years ago I got to the point I was throwing up from the heat. I normally don't push that hard, but I felt like I needed to keep the other guy busy, and I don't like sitting around while other people work.

Sounds like your judgment might’ve been compromised. Not good man, it really could be a matter of life and death. Even without chainsaws and other equipment, it’s a dangerous situation.

Not trying to be a dick :)

Yea, I agree. Things are just getting backed up, and I'm starting to get behind. I need to look at the prints tonight, and see if it's feasible to come in from the other end. The weather tomorrow's supposed to be worse, and I don't want to haul all that stuff in the way I came. It's also gonna be just me tomorrow, so maybe I'll work on setting control. That's easier than bushwhacking.

Your age isn't in your profile, John. How old are you? It got really bad for me at 55...

Oh, I thought it was in there. I'm coming up on 51. Heat definitely bothers me more than it used to. On the other end, I like cold weather much more than I did. If I wasn't so used to being here, I'd head north. It would suit me to never see summer again.

One has to know when to throw in the towel... people drop dead every day while working. I was wise to get out when I did...

Back