How'd it go today?

I know, the more machines, the more breakdowns.

Anyway sold the tractor today, sad to see it go, but not getting used enough to justify €13k sitting there.

The articulated loader does everything now, log splitter, bramble flail, bucket, grab etc.

I kept the forestry winch though, might find something cheaper to put it on.

Attachments

• 85849B58-AF05-4E52-A3D9-7F6DD360C284.jpg
    85849B58-AF05-4E52-A3D9-7F6DD360C284.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 78
Superseded that’s all, I actually sold it to my BIL (the rich one)

I just hate all that advertising, then wankers coming round my house making offers. I have hung on to this for a couple of years now waiting for someone to find out they needed it!

Just back from a couple of days working away in my home town - was nice to visit my parents & work with friends but being away from home in the big city sucks big style. It will take days to get the stench out of my nose

I had to trim the hedge today .It's only once or twice a year thing ,slow growing .First I had to get the Echo trimmer running then I had to keep it running .The last 30 foot of it used a Stihl 200T .Any port in a storm they say .

Did some Hazard trees for the local State Forest District yesterday.
They had a bunch of their guys out observing and learning, which made for some serious stump forensics:lol:

P1060715.JPG P1060724.JPG P1060753.JPG P1060755.JPG P1060756.JPG

That's some ugly right there. We have been taking down some hazard dead Sugar pines in a limb locked stand. Steep terrain.. No time for pictures. my favorite work. Nerve wracking quite honestly. Beating the frig out of wedges.
Then moved down the street to remove a black walnut in a tight spot training a new guy. Much more fun. Regardless of the challenge.

That Beech was really bad.
Right next to a public road, too.

What happened was, I rode my motorcycle along that road and noticed it.
Called the local forrester and told him, he had a problem.
Turned out, they had registered it over a year ago, but it had been lost in the " System"

So since we do all their hazard trees, we suggested a meeting about how to streamline their system, and how to recognize hazard trees and categorize them according to danger level.

Made for an interesting day for all involved, I hope.

Today I did a one person climbing job, taking down a bunch of previously topped spruces around a house.
First time climbing since I got sick 5 months ago and it was an 8 hour day.
Tell you what, the couch jumped right up on my back when I came home.
Been a long time since I've been this beat up, but it was great to geat back in the treetops.

Does not take long to get out of shape with what we do.
Excellent catch on the beech. We have that happen a lot with our hazard trees here near the ROW.
Had one that was marked that they lost record of, right next to the house. HO called them over and over. Then called us scared watching the death wobble in the wind. Thank the gods there was another tree 15 feet away to tie into.

Nice job Stig - that beech looked really frigged. How much climbing work have you done on the ash trees with die back? They are looking really nasty after only a couple of years.

You seem to do a lot of very deteriorated & dangerous trees too Stephen - would a spider lift be a viable option for some of your work?

Spider lift with about a 90 foot reach would be great, a 75 would also work. Just hard to pay for. The one guy with a bucket truck up here, chose to refinance his house to buy it, giving him more time and a better rate to pay it off with. It hardly pays for itself. Just allows him work to keep bills paid so to speak. Limited by access and terrain. Trouble is being able to charge enough. Fixed income is the majority up here. Then a small group of government and utility workers, then large group of low income. When we bid at 250.00 hr for a crew and kit, we are hard pressed to get work. When I had a larger crew. He has to do that daily. Always worrying about work and will constantly low bid stuff when he goes hungry to get work. We flex our bidding according to what comes to the job and get more work, but don't suffer the low bidding issue. Granted, my stuff is paid for and paid for itself when demand was high. Demand is lower now.
When I break it all down, I can't afford another mortgage payment. Nor am I able to charge for one.

New FL law re: tree permits

Last month, the governor of Florida signed a law which allows homeowners to remove trees deemed dangerous by a Certified Arborist without notice to nor permission of their local government and without mitigation or penalty.

Here is a link to the new law: http://laws.flrules.org/2019/155

It's causing quite a stir around here. Unfortunately, there is no firm definition of "dangerous," so the local municipalities are making up their own definitions and they are quite strict. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

I'm surprised that in FL where plants grow at a furious pace, there is a law restricting removals. Not to mention isn't FL kinda laissez faire in many respects?

No permits needed here, unless it's a town tree by the roadway.

Sometimes I kinda wish we had stricter laws. I've killed many a beautiful tree that didn't really need to die...

Took my first day off in three weeks...21st anniversary of my father & brother's passing via auto accident.

Been storming pretty good here off & on since midnight...still have power though

Back