How'd it go today?

That’s frikkin whacky Gary!

Last year a tree service was closing up after 40+ years and 2 owners. Had a sale to sell off equipment and what not, in a box of miscellaneous stuff there was a mortar round that nobody seemed to know anything about except it had belonged to Andre, the first owner. Craziest French Canuck I ever knew, wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it was live. Got a nice ms441 for cheap though :)

Hahaha...Canucks!!!

Xray is our main businesz, boss. We sell and service X-ray equipment for Urgent Care Centers, private practice doctors, chiropractors Etc. The trees I love to do but the main Money Maker is the xray.

I'd like to have a howitzer shell.

We stopped by the shop of one of our clients today. He had a tree limb down at his house, and was complaining about the price of taking it down. Not too seriously I don't think. He has a ton of money. The whole tree needs to come down. It's a *huge* oak; at least 48"dbh, and since it's a yard tree, very limby. I'd kind of like to try it, but I can't hire myself out for something like that at this point. Near the house, near the drive, decrepit... Sure would be fun to try though, and he could haul the wood. He's got all kinds of equipment, and runs a wood products business.

Let’s just say I am really enjoying a beer right now. I had to take a walk to not knock out the bosses son today. Mouthy fat entitled shithead set me off. Up until lunch he was his normal whiny self. After lunch he let us know that we were doing our job the dumbest way possible. Came back and told him to call mommy and daddy to pick him up before he had an accident. 20 years ago I’d of broke his jaw. Can’t do that these days and especially on this contract. I might have to actually punch this kid to make him understand shit. I guess we will see what tomorrow brings. And daddy gave me permission to adjust his attitude. Just not on site.

Sorry for the rant.
Buy boxing gloves tell him to put on or he can eat a yack dik backwards, then gloves mean fair game. Thats how we kinda did it in the infantry.

One more thing. When my son was 14 he walked by me and shoulder checked me after i was explaining something to him. I grabbed his shoulder to turn him around and that lil fuker threw a elbow, i ducked duck goosed it and put him on his back with authority, then gave hime a good squeeze, fast forward now at 17 i just bought him a car for school cause hes been working all summer no questions asked and getting pretty good on the porty. Moral of story sometimes these soft kids now days need to no who the alpha is bottom line . Were good now actually awesome now. But it was a weird few days after this combat vet had to give him the what4. Lol.

Hahaha...Canucks!!!

Xray is our main businesz, boss. We sell and service X-ray equipment for Urgent Care Centers, private practice doctors, chiropractors Etc. The trees I love to do but the main Money Maker is the xray.

Dido buddy. Workin on piece shit airplanes is my income . Im actually matching it now with tree work money these days. Fwiw. I missed you fuckers. :P

One more thing. When my son was 14 he walked by me and shoulder checked me after i was explaining something to him. I grabbed his shoulder to turn him around and that lil fuker threw a elbow, i ducked duck goosed it and put him on his back with authority, then gave hime a good squeeze, fast forward now at 17 i just bought him a car for school cause hes been working all summer no questions asked and getting pretty good on the porty. Moral of story sometimes these soft kids now days need to no who the alpha is bottom line . Were good now actually awesome now. But it was a weird few days after this combat vet had to give him the what4. Lol.

Good visual! Your quick response to what he probably thought was going to be an easy shot had to scramble his brain for a bit. Good lesson for a young one to get.

Took a break from tree wrecking. Prune and prop on a snow-tilted apple, pruned 2 Large Japanese maples and a cable repair on a 6-way central hub system. One cable broke mid-span. Showed me the limitation of a central hub system. Couple canopy raises.

Half-day with help.

Picked up the kiddo at the bus, from her new school. Wednesday was rough. Yesterday was much better. Today was good. She's getting into the swing, and getting more comfortable.

The stars aligned, and her 5th grade friend (she's 2nd), has the same recess times, so they connected. They get along great, but haven't seen each other much.

Going into the new school year means more time for work. Two employees on trial periods. See how it goes.

Days are noticeably shorter.

I cleaned a mess beside a castle where a nice 3' beech foll over, taking down with him 6 smaller oaks and 2 hornbeams. 2 days of solo work. Many chords on the ground. Nice looking, but rotten stump, both the beech and the oaks. What a pita.:cry:
And many many other trees will come down the next following years. In many cases, we can see a hole between the buttress roots, dye back in the crowns....
The soil is on a thick chalk layer, very poor with barely any water available. The growth rate of the trees is already very slow, you can think they are used to it. But obviously not. It becomes worse and worse. Even the pines begin to dye! The wild cherrys are almost all doomed, many dying tops for the hornbeams, sparse and yellowish foliage for a lot of oaks, either small or big...
The castle's manager is sure that the very hot and drought summer of this year will show its plain results next year. It sounds somewhat catastrophic.:(

But lucrative all the same! You ever take pictures Marc?

... The growth rate of the trees is already very slow, you can think they are used to it. But obviously not...

Still... you don't get a large, mixed hardwood forest, with trees growing to maturity, if the site conditions have always sucked. I would want to know what has changed. Sometimes you will need to look back many years.

I would like to know what exactly is going on. The main guess is a serious drop in the water supply. This forest is on a shoulder of chalk, just on the side of a very wide valley full of water. That's even more sad. You can see many sand and gravel quarries around there. Water everywhere. But in the castle's ground, the supply of the forest comes only from the rain. They have 3 wells on the property. Summer 2018, two wells around 70-80 feet deep were dry, only the deepest kept some water.
No way the trees can reach that, even those which are at the very bottom of the slope.
Two years ago, I cut a good sized dying oak, say around 20 -24" diameter. So many growth rings were down to 3 mm to 1 mm wide, and that for the main part of its life (I wished I could keep the wood). So it was already bad since a very long time, but it seems that it becomes no more sustainable.
There is hope though, the area around the fallen beech is full of babies (ashes, maples, hornbeams, hazels and others) ready to take off. The drastic drop of the main competition will give them their chance.

Mike, I used to take pics, but my camera died from the insidious chips, my tablet isn't practical at all and for some reasons my phone can't send the data. I have to buy a new camera (a rough one), I got back the envy to share !
But I still wouldn't take pics on this property for discretion (restricted area, guardians, about a hundred cameras...).

So easy these days, phone takes the pics, airdrop them over to your tablet when you get home, seconds later they’re up for perusal.

Adds so much to a discussion like this.

Igor agrees as well.

Attachments

• 2DBC7900-3624-4046-9A02-A93937F4DF24.jpeg
    2DBC7900-3624-4046-9A02-A93937F4DF24.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 37
Like Marc, my phone takes pics but you can't upload them to anything. It's a cheap phone.

Back