How'd it go today?

Wind-rowed & diced up a fallen tree and some saplings I took out this afternoon. Then got out the rake & shovel and re-covered my sister's septic tank she had pumped out this Winter.

Sat through another environmental protocol meeting for the gas company. Same as last years with only a few minor changes. 95% of it pertains to pipeline work and restoration. No change in bat tree regs though. Met up with the crew doing a good sized, really messed up pin oak removal. It had a growth pattern of a silver maple and was topped at least twice. Service lines passing through the center and on the far side. Really a pain in the ass. Got it half done.
Went to the bank and then to Endor’s supply. Tried on a few pair of the Arborwear chainsaw pants. Of course they were out of my size but said they should be able to drop them off at the shop on Monday. I said that would be great but I want to try them on before buying. No problem. Talked with them a bit about setting up some more training for the company. It was a good chat and I’m seeing a good work relationship developing.

Training is key. You’re gonna love the CS pants.

Last week I gave a client’s voicemail to a new guy...
He’s a yes man with the gift of gab and wants to learn trees....
He scored the job and scheduled it for yesterday...
he came back at 1pm with the truck empty and a 1200 check for the job.

I think I’ve found a millennial sales guy to run around and meet random bid people.....

Feels good.

��... The feeling of finding needed skill-sets.

I keep thinking about Frans saying that when you're able to provide career positions, you attract better candidates.

I had to stop this guy from pruning....

I was about to fire him... he was pissing me off and affecting me... taking up my time supervising him...

And friggin' always had an excuse....

Then I realized.... give him a few warm emails, cold calls and a pricing schematic..... and frig off.
Shit, he redeemed himself with an a-z job for 1200.... says he has a 4K and a 2.5k job on the hook....waiting to yank.

So, I’ve been on crews for a long time... and I feel I can read strengths and soul... and then just “get in where you fit in”

I sell people on the phrase if we win, you win, I win, we keep going getting better.... buy in is huge.

Honestly my client smile is waning.... they see a burnt frig you kinda guy... it’s awful.

After 15 years driving the same pickup I'm getting the itch for something newer. Don't have a lot of extra money but I do have a 2014 Mustang garage queen, and if I get a newer truck then I'll drive the Mustang even less. It's great as a toy for going fast and that's about it. Even my 2002 F150 is much more comfortable to drive. Originally I was looking at 2011-2014 trucks around $15-20K but everything is such high mileage. But if I trade in the Mustang I can get something like this-
https://mullinaxford.com/sale/certified-ford-f150-lariat/2016-ford-f150-lariat-1ftew1ef3gfa71188
And with a tune I can still satisfy my need for speed. It's 4wd, power everything and even blows cold air up my ass. For that I can give up a car I drive less than 5000 miles per year.

And they already replaced the ratty tires with new Michelins. :D

Lowered down a nest of baby squirrels and left the hollow piece by the stump in hopes that mama comes back to relocate them.

Bruh you are turning into the Steve Irwin of tree work!;)

Geez I'm surprised babies this early in the year. IME, there's a 99.8% chance mama will be back pronto to retrieve and relocate her family.

Speaking of spring time, I watched some crows building a nest high in a white pine this morning

Deva, very cool couple of post! :drink:

And the quote below was both amusing and said a volume about tree life/running a tree biz/feeding the dragon. ;)

Honestly my client smile is waning.... they see a burnt frig you kinda guy... it’s awful.

A newish truck like that is wonderful. My recent buy (a 2012 GMC a year ago) has been excellent...many amenities I did not realize I "needed". It had 106K miles and cost $26,000.

On your possible truck...the time I had a sun roof I didn't like it...even though tinted it passed thru too much harsh sun in summer....and it can eventually leak.

And I would want a full 8' bed...that's what I got. Sometimes parking can be a challenge but I like the space for "stuff".

Oh great, it's raining again. So much for my ideas of getting ranch chores done this weekend. Instead I went clothes shopping. Came back with zero. I hate going to malls. Found a crappy pair of pants. The lady told me $76$. I told her I will pass.
Guess I will continue to look like a homeless person lol

Frans, as much as I prefer picking out clothes in person, I've had great luck buying clothes on Amazon. Even factoring in the clothes that end up on the top closet shelf in the spare bedroom after one wear, it's still worth it not having to deal with mall people.

Stephen, my tuner guy will hook me up on whatever truck I buy. :D

My recent buy (a 2012 GMC a year ago) has been excellent...many amenities I did not realize I "needed". It had 106K miles and cost $26,000.

Sounds like a nice ride, Gary. Were you leery of the sorta high mileage?

100k isn’t high mileage anymore. I was finding trucks less than five years old with 200k+ and selling for 20k+. My 2010 Silverado had 82k on it and was in the 20k range. The full 8’ bed is why I jumped and also why it was a good price. Crew cab, 2500, 4x4. The long bed is rare and I can understand why it’s undesirable every time I park anywhere but my own driveway.

I'm with Brian on buying clothes through the net. Except I go directly to the manufacturer if possible...usually less costly than amazon.

While we are on the topic of clothes, i found Roundhouse bibs and jeans to be awesome. Us made, cheaper than carhartts, better quality, and slightly lighter material that still wears like iron (i wear cotton duck almost exclusively). I have several pairs of their bibs, which is all i wear unless I'm climbing, and I've been very pleasantly pleased with them. You buy directly from the factory in Oklahoma, where they've been for over 100 years. Amazing product still made here.

https://www.round-house.com

https://www.round-house.com

Friday's job wasn't stump grinding this week -- it was being the "Back Out Boys" and going back to 2 properties to fix ruts. We had popped them up with pitchfork & shovel after the job, but then the succeeding rains caused them to collapse back in. So I went to the landscaping supply place and got 2 yards of topsoil went back with 2 others and spent almost 2 hours filling in the ruts, tamping and raking it over to feather it in. Looked decent at the end of it. But proving the case for AlturnaMats -- would have saved us the 2 hours + $100 in topsoil. And this is just two jobs -- spring rains are coming!

I'm trying to decide mats are just too much for a mini with load, or mini-towed-trailer.

I could use Alturna-lite, 60% as thick as the regular plastic mat.

Back