How'd it go today?

Yep. Had a Yuengling Black & Tan, and since it's a fairly cool night with the door open, I might pour a glass of rum :^)

Always neat. I like Pussers rum. I got on a bit of a rum kick for awhile, but got disenchanted with it due to companies adding flavor, sugar, and other shenanigans. Rum doesn't have many specifications other than having to be made with sugar. That leaves the distiller lots of room for doing what they want. Pussers is only distilled spirit, with nothing added. I appreciate that.

I also like scotch, Irish and rye, but tend to drink those more in cooler weather.

Scotch is my favorite, but prices have gotten crazy over the last ten years or so. I get that more as a treat now, instead of being an every day drink.

I never had a taste for it... it tastes TERRIBLE to me. I've never understood the appeal. I like my whiskey on the rocks, mixed with water 50:50.

Reminds me of TD'ing a yuge pecan next to a house that was gonna be demolished. There was one long-ass limb going over the roof - they told me to just pop it off on the roof.

That was the weirdest feeling, doing that!

Water most nights, sometimes a porter, stout, or whiskey, neat. Rarely 2, especially on a 'school nite'.

I figured out why my Boxer seems to shake so much at certain RPMs. While tracking down a loose hydraulic fitting I found something interesting. Originally, four corners of the engine were bolted down to motor mounts on the frame. A frame weld cracked, AGAIN. Still bolted down, but the mount is no longer attached to the frame at the fourth location.

I didn't get a good look at it. Up and under, hard to see from below, almost impossible to see from above. I did get a good look at the driveway. A lot of soil on a lot of oil. Customer wasn't too excited, but it cleaned up well. Soak up, flat shovel it up, blow it off, add more soil, soak it up, shovel it off, lots of water. Sucks, the driveway drain pretty much goes into the Puget Sound, directly. I cleaned up what I could before washing the rest.

Hard not to take everything but the kitchen sink to a job...needed Oil-dry or kitty litter or something, and wrenches up to 1 1/4" for this one, neither on hand. At least my shop was 2.5 miles from the job.

I'm really starting to think of not taking any new customers that require highway driving. So easy to stick close to home, 2 lane county roads, lots of waterfront (I'm an in-lander). No traffic to speak of.

We're required to have spill kits, probably a good idea for everyone with equipment. We also blow hydraulic lines once a month because if the volume of equipment we have too

Cool, Boss, on that pecan limb. I don't think I have been told yet, "It's OK to bust the house"...but I am waiting for that day! :D

Water most nights, sometimes a porter, stout, or whiskey, neat. Rarely 2, especially on a 'school nite'.

I figured out why my Boxer seems to shake so much at certain RPMs. While tracking down a loose hydraulic fitting I found something interesting. Originally, four corners of the engine were bolted down to motor mounts on the frame. A frame weld cracked, AGAIN. Still bolted down, but the mount is no longer attached to the frame at the fourth location.

That’s a bugger, I have a chipper with that was welded up badly, have to look over the machine almost every day.

Paid 30k for it as well, brand new. We spent most of Friday nursing it back to health.

At the coast house this weekend, Igor loves it here, loads of smells and new walks.

From what Ive heard- Ditch Witch FTW. This happens to many boxers, no?

At the coast house this weekend, Igor loves it here, loads of smells and new walks.

Dogs just rock.

A spill kit should be standard equipment for any tree service running hydraulic equipment IMO.

Yes, agreed.

I was lax on it.

I asked about spill kits around here when I got my machine, but people said to just put some dirt on it, saw chips, wood chips. I soaked up what I could and put in the garbage.

What kind do you recommend, if any kind?

From what Ive heard- Ditch Witch FTW. This happens to many boxers, no?

Dogs just rock.

There was a batch with issues. Brendon's frame cracked at the loader arm to side-plate, like mine. I don't know how long this has been broken.

The thing the Boxer has going is its strength and expandable undercarriage, which I use enough to want to keep narrow access. There is so much gardening going on here that it's not so common to just remove a fence section and drive through. Sometimes it is possible.
Bigger DW are wider than gates.

I saw the picture Sean. I think that was a bend in the steel that broke, not a weld. Either way it sucks.
Mick, didn’t you just buy a new chipper because your last one broke welds every other day?

You could go to grainger or fastenal and get a professional one, but i would be inclined to just make one. Some oil dry or kitty litter, maybe a few oil socks, some good absorbent pads, some good paper towels and a can of engine degreaser to get the last little bit off concrete. Put it all in a5 gallon bucket with a lid and you are good to go.

Back