How'd it go today?

Got roped into a chick flick with my daughter and girlfriend. Nice comfy recliners for napping at the AMC.
5$ for a friggin 20oz bottle of water lol I took a drink from the sink.

I screwed up today!

We did a crown lift on a Linden , topped an oak and killed a smallish ash for a repeat client.
He called me in the afternoon: " Great job on the oak and Linden, but the ash you felled was not the one we were looking at together.................AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!

He was cool about it.
Said he could tell I was sick as a dog ( I told him about the leukemia as an explanation for why I wouldn't be doing the job myself, which he wanted because of our past relationship) when I did the bid.
" So shit happens!"

So tomorrow we'll go by and kill the right tree and nothing more will come of it.

But do you think I feel STUPID right now?

Extremely so:lol:

The boys are so going to give me hell over this tomorrow.
Guess I better stop by the baker shop on the way to work.

Pastries seem to be the distraction of choice here as well. When I walk in and see a box of doughnuts I know I’m about to get f#%*+! Also get the same when the boss gets out of his truck and hands out candy bars to the crew.

Stig, did you offer to plant a replacement? I removed an ornamental apple, the whole time wondering why the work order said "keep track of time." It was supposed to be a prune. I felt pretty stupid. The boss even got me to pay for half of the replacement.

Nope, didn't come up.
Like I said, the client was extremely cool about the whole screwup.

Also, part of that may have been that it was an Ash.
They'll be extict here soon, anyway.

I was wondering the same thing.
Had an easy day. Started off with a beanpole locust tree. 14” DBH and around 90’ tall leaning heavy toward power and over a fence. Also had a severely compromised base. Shot a line into a nearby oak and pieced it out. A small spruce after that because it was planted over a gas valve that decided to start leaking. Finished off stripping out four uprooting white pines. Had a meeting with the bosses to finish off the day. It went well. Everyone seems to be on the same page. Things are looking good for my future. Everyone involved still has some homework to do but it’s looking very promising. I’m just getting tired. I made it clear that I’m done with “side work”. I’m full time
On one or the other, not both anymore. Another sit down next Monday to compare numbers and options.

Came home to till the garden up and play with the kids. Taters, onions, and peas need to get in the ground soon

Burning the candle at both ends can take a toll on ya that's for damn sure. Hopefully your boss ponies up and makes it worth your wile.

Totally feel ya Stig. Done that to a crepe-myrtle once. Right in front of the HO. Been burning the candle on both ends. Just came off being sick and injured. Sucked, but all was forgiven. Offered to replace it. HO was ok with the new view of her rocks. Oh well.

Banged out 5 oaks in 6 hours today, all bucked to firewood and left the brush for the HO to burn and sort more out of. 2 rigged out lowering over some landscaping, then bombed the last 3 out in less than 2 hours. Big tops were a droppin. Worked the shat out of the crew. Onward to the next job. ;)

Probably gonna take some extra vitamin I and coffee to get me up and atom in the AM :lol:

Installed my first prop today. The homeowners think a mimosa is tipping, but IDK. Cabled and braced, as well. One preventative C and B, one double-brace and prune after failure.

Finished up another storm job.

Got main truck tool box and tool compartment cleaned and organized.
Truck is organized, and respectably clean.

Picking up work all over...is 10 years a magic number for being in a new country?
I am busy with the kind of work I like, clearing overgrown gardens, tidying up neglected trees, some removals, one a bit technical, the school keeps finding more stuff for me to do too as well as one of the local landowners with several properties.
Bags of mulch keep selling at the gate, coffee and lunch money :)

All the sizes are hit by the fungus, from the seedlings to the big old ones. You even can't rely on the regrowth because the new sprouts on the stumps are killed too. In my area, not all the ashes are affected though (for how long ?) but I have no clue why this one and not this one.

Back