How'd it go today?

Good luck John, having followed your training journey on here I have no doubt you'll be golden :)

Marc, HAHA!

Mellow, nice car!

Pigwot, nice work!

Rich, great pics!

John, good luck!

Thanksgiving up here. Some shop work for me. More work on my lifting idea. the ring and worm gear came out of a winch that had a WLL of 2000lbs. I'm not after weight, but long spindly branches that would be awkward or difficult to handle, and can be operated by low skilled help. Fair leads, better mounting and some sort of tailing control is next.It has a 7/8" shaft held in by a 1/2" bolt, I will be adding more bolts to the base of the capstan, keep it from twisting, I hope.

20181008_115507.jpg

20181008_115537.jpg

20181008_123215.jpg

20181008_123249.jpg

20181008_123227.jpg

That's pretty damn clever, Peter!
You can get beefier 2" straps for around 20$

Feel like it has much lifting power?
Think it'll hold up to moderate shock loading?

I know, Jim, eh!

I'm just testing the concept, see if it will work. I do have larger straps, I'm going to weld a few 5/8" round loops on the frame, replace the lower grade bolts with better, etc etc.

Thanks Johnny! Shock loads, not sure, I doubt it will handle it, unless I make a ring gear lock. hmmm
If I can lift 1000lbs from it, I'd be happy.

There was a huge accident on the freeway involving a truck and several other cars.
So I ended up sitting in stalled traffic for 3 hours, while they extracted the victims and cleared the road.
Hell of a way to spend an evening.

Yesterday was one job -- "leave no tree untouched." Main goal was more sunlight, let the grass grow. So on 3 hackberries, removed limbs & leaders -- over the road, over the house roof, over the yard. Then one hackberry came out. Raised the canopy of one pin oak over the driveway. Out back were 2 more pin oaks, raise canopy, lower deadwood. 2 main limbs over the back deck. Then the big ugly osage orange -- bad backlean over the neighbor's fence & roof, took both the GRCS and chipper winch to pull it over. Full, full 30 yards of chips. Bucked up a pickup load of firewood till the F150 was squatting on the axle. Left behind 2 big osage logs and 2 hackberry logs to be picked up today with the grapple truck.

Today was wet, wet -- rainy day. First job was to take down 2 medium ashes, very much declined and ready for removal. Dropped low leaders off with the 372 and the Stihl power pruner to take off back weight, then wedged them. Chipped all brush, saved the logs for firewood. While the stumps were being ground, headed over to a fallen Siberian elm that a recent storm knocked over (roots & all!) The city had dealt with the brush in the road, we were just there to chip the leaders and main 4' trunk, picked up the stump/root ball, then stump ground the remaining roots. Then back to yesterday's job to fish the 2 heavy, big Osage logs from the backyard with the grapple boom and pickup the other two logs from the front yard.

Hospital visit with my GF's son yesterday in Hamilton. My little girl had a tooth pulled in Hamilton this morning. Got some shop work donr. 5/8" round for fairlead and my idea for a mount. Probably 2 sets on each side for beefy straps.

20181010_141207.jpg

Looks sturdy. I'll post my homemade lowering device when I get home later.

Any chance of the handle getting stuck when it's mounted up against a wider tree?

I'm very interested to see it in action... Might get some serious pull. Something as simple as a screw can be pretty damn powerful.

Thanks! I mounted it on the 3/8" thick angle, it angles the handle away from the tree. I hope it will work on other size trees!!

Pics of yours!

The larger tree interference was my armchair concern.

Very cool.

Can you make it power-driven with a remote control electric motor and brake? But, really, can you make it power-drive-able with a drill?

Don't recall knowing your GF has a son. How's yours?

Thanks Sean. Yeah. GF's son is 15. Not a nice kid.

You read my mind on the remote powered bollard. Ultimate plan....one day.

No idea on my son. :(

I " borrowed" the plan from my old foreman, and a buddy who's a pro welder/ fabricator built it for me.
The I beam was machined pretty deep to make room for the pipe and the pipe was beveled so he could make a full penetration tig weld, he called it a root pass, followed by several more passes.
I cut the hooks off a 2" 10,000 lb strap and replaced the hooks with 50kn biners.
Served me well for years. I got an idea to make it lift and pretension, I'll update when I'm done with it :)

20181010_195141.jpg

Been kinda chilling out this week a bit. Went to the climbing gym on Sunday. Sore Monday. Employee had yesterday off for some family court stuff (yay). Burned some dirty brush piles at my house, put up some personal firewood for the winter. Sorted out the shop a bit more. More of the same tomorrow. See if my neighbor's idea of soldering the failed brazing on my repaired hydraulic pump works. Its low pressure. The brazing repair failed after 8 years or something. So long ago, I can't remember when or who did it.

Going camping and rock climbing with Dahlia and mutual friends, dad and kid, plus other families, on the east/ dry side of the state near the Columbia River.

Back