How'd it go today?

The statewide burn ban is kind of a joke here as well Al. We just keep on doing what we do.
Sounds like a good day Stig.
I planted 140 cloves of garlic and tilled the garden for a second time. We’re in between the rain storms at the moment. Next one is due to hit soon.

Yuck!

Nope, they were just the kind where you wonder if it is actual potato or not.
Not very tasty at all.
I agree, Butch. Hard to mess such a simple thing up, but they sure managed it.

Some Mexican hot sauce would have made a difference, but forget about that around here.

140 cloves of garlic sounds just about right:)

Went trap shooting with my buddy's all weekend. Shot with the Merced county Sheriffs Saturday, and league on Sunday. I hope we stayed second in our division. Raised some money for kids shooting sports though :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1555288423504.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555288423504.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 66
  • FB_IMG_1555244480962.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555244480962.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 63
Seems like We'll be cleaning up storm throws for a long time after all our winter storms hitting dead trees.
This black oak was on a slope over a road. Guyed it off for our safety and to keep it in place. Up righted the stump to keep it on the better part of the slope so the property owner can burn it in place if they want. Finishing up a large gray pine up there today.

Attachments

• received_2118472691521792.jpeg
    received_2118472691521792.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 44
  • received_401718400660351.jpeg
    received_401718400660351.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 41
  • received_365735360706755.jpeg
    received_365735360706755.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
  • received_379497166225193.jpeg
    received_379497166225193.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 43
Sounds like Wisco needs to level up on the dump and run...

Just kidding... in my bad days I dumped a load at the dump gate on a Sunday... I figured they could just push the load in with a loader in the am.

Just once.

That's always tempting, especially if you miss them closing by 10 minutes. I've seen evidence of people doing that, dumping into a creek outside the chip dump. I'm more tempted by the sight of other chip piles dumped in parking lots, driveways, at schools & community garden projects. Simply giving them more of a good thing... ;) But no need really, as farmers are taking them off our lot as quick as we can dump them. And I have at least 5 places that want all the chips I can bring. One place that will take Siberian elm logs, and another place that wants any type of log or stump for fill.

Sounds like Wisco needs to level up on the dump and run...

Just kidding... in my bad days I dumped a load at the dump gate on a Sunday... I figured they could just push the load in with a loader in the am.

Just once.

No dumping and running here there are more than enough legit places to dump. Tho I have had a custy that I would love to dump and run, in a paper bag light on fire right on the assholes front porch.

It's goofy. Here we have a big co gen plant at the mill I work at and when I had my treeco we could dump chips there but stupid tree guys dumped contaminated chips, grease tube, garbage, what have you. So now they cut off all treecos from dumping there.

Same here, not free but cheap and stupid tree guys ruined it for everyone. Bricks, concrete whatever.

Even that new place I found last time in Sydney banned one guy for dumping a contaminated load and he came back the next day. The boss there told me about him and he won't be coming back.

Starting a routine bigger birch with a bunch of decay and damage, two main stems with a lot of phototropic growth reaching over the street.

Rigged down, in front of the chipper feed tray, and zip-lined out into the open street, as there are 15' rhododendrons and japanese maples, and ..., on the Do Not Smash List everywhere beneath the main lead. The smaller leader has manicured lawn on the one side, so two pieces of plywood for the branch butts to hit, and the bulk of the branches, did it.

Was busy orchestrating it, and didn't have time for pics. Tomorrow.

My one groundman is done on Friday, going off to Wildland Firefighting. He's onward and upward, and welcome back after the fire season, if he wants.

My former employee, who has been out with family medical stuff, is making a move, got a connection into the carpenter's union, and will be testing about a month out. I told him he's welcome to come practice all the stuff for his apprentice test, at my shop. Measuring, cutting, banging nails, moving stacks of (5)-2x's, Hauling up buckets of nails.

He's needing a good 'out' from treework into a career path. Not sure he's climber material, and groundmen don't usually last into their 60s. He said that so much of the stuff that I beat the bible about safety and productivity at my show, are the things that he will be tested on for his spot.

Two places we go charge ($40 and $10/load of chips), another we don't go to charges by weight, and 30 cubic yards of chips tips the scales a bit heavy. The rest of the connections we have made are free dump spots, mostly farmers wanting them for agrarian use, community gardens, a Girl Scout camp for trails, etc.

Sean, if your friend is testing to be a journeyman carpenter, I would advise your friend to come in at a 3rd year apprentice. Several reasons:

1. It is very important to the hall to keep apprentices working, so the likelihood of him staying busy goes up dramatically.

2. He will learn a bunch of stuff he doesn't know yet.

3. Probably the most important: He will be accepted as a full union member by fellow members. Everyone knows if a guy just bought his book, but after a couple years no one will remember that he came in halfway through his apprenticeship. I told this exact advice to 2 friends who did the same, and both were excellent carpenters, 1 has quit while the other is a superintendent. If you are a journeyman, absolutely no one will wait for you to learn, that's what the apprenticeship is for. Doesn't matter if you haven't built scaffold before but could build anything else, you are gone because they can't afford to pay you top scale to do non top scale work. Come in as an apprentice, work more, learn more and them earn a bunch more in a couple years. Please trust me, this will work out much better in the long run for him.

Back