How'd it go today?

Fire bans...wow, get caught burning during a day of total fire ban you are in trouble here.
Permit season starts once indicators hit marks, you can still burn but need a permit and register it, no charge. Permit officer determines conditions, what time you can light it etc.
They can put an embargo on further permits at any time if the fire danger increases, that just means no new light ups until conditions ease.
You can have a 1m cubed fire with no permit but you are urged to register it to prevent unnecessary call-outs.
If fire danger hits the high indicators they declare a day or however long is necessary of total fire ban. No fires, no outdoor wood bbqs, no mowing, welding, slashing...
Farmers have a matrix they refer to that allows them to continue harvesting during a total fire ban until a certain confluence of temperature humidity and wind is met, then they stop.
I think we had about 10 days of total fire ban this season, permits are still on in our region...its still dry.

Kyle, what do you call the guy on the bottom rung who is the grunt to start? He has an 'in' within the Union, who is going to mentor him, trying to get him on his crew. Spoon feeding him as much as possibly informationally, as well as telling him to get strong. He's been off treework for a couple months to a degree, and being Dad/Mom for a while, totally out of tree work for 2 months.

Something amazing, another positive thing for a guy needing positive things, his father was stage 3 or 4 colon cancer, and after his last round of chemo, his father was 'done', in the sense of the big Done With Chemo, Lived a Long Life...his follow-up is cancer-free, after expectations of a quick death sentence.

Oh ok, he's taking the apprentice test, good deal lol. From the way it sounded i thought he was taking his journeyman test to buy a card. Although i hate carpenters, it's a good trade and he should do well.

shuttled my sister to an xray appt yesterday…now in between two hospital visits for her today. just got back from her getting a die shot…then back in a couple hours for a scan.

that’s all the City driving I want for the year...

Damn it. Jobs are pilling up. Had to change impulse line on 066. 088 has a hard start problem.

Now the 2010 f150 is getting stiff steering. Hope it's that steering shaft.

Sean, if your friend is testing to be a journeyman carpenter, I would advise your friend to come in at a 3rd year apprentice. Several reasons:

1. It is very important to the hall to keep apprentices working, so the likelihood of him staying busy goes up dramatically.

2. He will learn a bunch of stuff he doesn't know yet.

3. Probably the most important: He will be accepted as a full union member by fellow members. Everyone knows if a guy just bought his book, but after a couple years no one will remember that he came in halfway through his apprenticeship. I told this exact advice to 2 friends who did the same, and both were excellent carpenters, 1 has quit while the other is a superintendent. If you are a journeyman, absolutely no one will wait for you to learn, that's what the apprenticeship is for. Doesn't matter if you haven't built scaffold before but could build anything else, you are gone because they can't afford to pay you top scale to do non top scale work. Come in as an apprentice, work more, learn more and them earn a bunch more in a couple years. Please trust me, this will work out much better in the long run for him.

That’s very good advise Kyle. Anyone who buys their book has to really be that good or be able to accept the fact they will be treated much differently than one who earned it.

Guess I should read the rest of the following post first. First year apprentices don’t make a great hourly wage but are all but guaranteed work as most companies will also use them as laborers here and there.
The disliking carpenters thing I get as well. I labored for some real asshole carpenters. Also worked with some real great ones.

The turbo went out on my 2016 F-550 chip truck this morning on the way to a job. Again! First time was at 7,000 miles. Now it has 20,000. I limped it back to the shop at 15 miles per hour to unhook the Nifty Lift trailer and unload the Avant, then had it towed to the dealership. Still under warranty but they won't have the parts until Monday or Tuesday. WTH! Amazon can deliver stuff to me overnight, why does it take 5 days for the dealer to get a part?

Had a not so good week so far. It’s pretty much over though since they’re calling for rain starting tonight and ending sometime next week. Monday we got a late start due to the office being unorganized and then the fuel pump on my bucket truck decided to short out at random times. Tuesday had two of us climbing hazard trees and the other climber got an uncomfortable feeling and couldn’t climb. Wednesday started with arguing that a skid loader would be useless because it wouldn’t fit and in the morning circus routine I missed my walk around and didn’t lock my toolboxes. An hour and a half later we get all the cars moved, plywood laid out, and trucks in position when I notice the box latches looked funny. Biggest fear happened. I lost my gear bag with my personal climbing gear on the way to the job. Puked a few times and called the boss and local PD’s. Every tree company I know as well is keeping an eye out for it. I’m still quite upset. Mad at myself for losing track of my daily routine and mad at my boss for making things so chaotic trying to get us on the road so fast. He asked for a detailed list so sounds like he’s replacing 3k worth of stuff. Still not happy about it. Today was going well. Had my mini on site and we broke into two groups. Gave very detailed instructions for which areas needed plywood and marked them out. On my sixth and final tree for the day, and almost completed, I realized they had brought anything out in a while. Finished up and found one holding the mini upright and the other trying to get the skid loader to it. No f-ing plywood to be seen. At least they shut it off. Had one grab a rigging line and block to upright it and another get plywood. After stabilizing it and letting it sit for a half hour I put it up on the drive and just left with the keys. Not a good week at all. I’m actually hoping for rain. I’ll just have to pick up equipment and be done for the week.
On a good note though, my wife seems pretty set on making my days end on a positive note, so I’m signing out for the evening. Good night all. Thanks for letting me rant a bit.

The only carpenter that won't steal your job was Jesus, and really he was a laborer. In reality, they do not respect trade jurisdictions, and will do any work that they can, despite not having a damn clue. Very common to see them attempting to be an operator, ironworker, fitter, plumber, etc. It happens so often on about every job one gets name a carpen- insert trade. They attempted to quit the afl (i think they came back, but not sure) in an attempted and failed power and work grab. Since carpentry is ubiquitous, many will do side work at nonunion wages, slitting their own throats, but since it's residential no one cares. Coming from a trade where your solidarity and concern for your fellow members is more important than your own bank account or bank payments, some of their attitudes have lead most different trades to resent them.

When i was a first year apprentice, the foremen had set up a schedule where we would have time to get the tools, material, and equipment in and out of the mechanical room. My journeyman and i noticed that a couple of them were fixing to install a wall and door in our way, so we're walked up and nicely reminded them that we would be coming right through here with a bunch of stuff, so they needed to go do something else because that was the agreed upon plan. 2 hours later they had it all framed up and had started drywalling it. The journeyman i was with took the scissor lift and proceeded to ram the wall at an angle, folding the metal studs in half and crushing the sheetrock. He then backed up and fixed the other side, making wayyyyyyyyyy more room than was needed. As we were driving by they came back from break yelling and everything, he calmly told them that we weren't kidding, and they would be wise to wait to fix it because the lift would have to come out. They learned.

Now i know not all are like that, and i get along perfectly fine with them. Trade jurisdictions exist so trained and qualified people do a job, leaving work alone that requires someone different who had a different skill set. At times trades overlap a bit, so some of that is bound to happen. But when a guy attempts to do all sorts of stuff that clearly isn't his work he is friggin' someone over for his attempted gain, and i can't respect or abide that.

Edit: sorry Rich that's a bad day!!!!

Most of my "hating" experience came from being caught between the engineer's prints and the installers who didn't have the backing, etc. they wanted/needed....we never had time to mess with others' jobs

Wow Rich, things should go great for a couple months after getting all that bad ju-ju out of the way.

Those kind of rants just need to be a dump...paragraphs be damned. Crappy day for sure with gear getting gone...I kick myself in the butt lots when something like that happens.

My hired man is on holiday so I’m scraping by on casual staff.

Even had the Dutch guy back to drive the loader for a couple of days, usual story. I asked him not to use the higher speed setting on this job as it was tight with (puncture causing) stumps and people in vulnerable positions.

Of course every time I checked he was using it.
All the way to the job and all the way back, non-stop bullshit about how well he’s doing etc.
Come back hired man!

Back