How'd it go today?

Yep!

We had a really fugly rotten ash in a horrible spot three feet off of a deck tucked in some youngish fragile white pine next to a formal garden with exotic (for Wisco anyways) plants ,read in hard to find and $$$$ to replace. Rigged the limbs small enough to be run by hand and had to cut and chuck firewood into a four foot square hole. It went well but stress level was off the charts.

Any did you get some foam out to not perforate the landscaping cloth? :lol:

I was back at their house this week. They want 3 more trees out in the impacted/ landscaped area because they are dying (go figure), and a small land clearing job that I'm trying to decide if I want to do with my neighbor (big skidder with a special boom (standard on that Deere) that pivots, and make a great sorter that stacks decks) and log loader. Might get another guy involved who has moved from residential into small logging jobs.

Either way, if its a go, I will have a career logger (the boss) to learn from, and possibly a skilled and safe, retired Fire Captain and Fire Chief at two different stations to work with. What a change...skillz!

:lol:
nope, but he might be. wanted to make sure it was mounted proper.
I made him a whole kit. Newly painted mailbox with flag, screws, numbers, wood plank cut to exact size, can of paint I painted it with; all in the box I bought it in....

Well, you know...I might be a little suspicious that a guy who can smash my mailbox and my neighbor's mailbox...may be challenged to install a mailbox :/:.

:P

The boys get a quarter for every Colorado Potato Beetle they find and squash.

z3e9kF1.jpg

Dropped off the kiddo at the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge for a summer camp field trip. One mom with no ring is a beaut.

Sold a view-pruning job on the boundary of the NWR. They needed their property view work done (8 fir limbs, maybe 9) before petitioning for a little bit of maple reduction to view Mount Rainier. Wraptored to a 75' re-direct/ PSP with a base-tie. Exactly the top of the view. Very specific and limited scope to try to maintain within the parameters that the NWR might allow the view-easement. It is the top 10' at this point of 5 bigleaf maple trunks, easily accessed by the Doug-fir I just pruned.

Ate lunch, stocked up on PPE and odds and ends and spare parts and maintenance parts.

Sold an easy prune to a repeat customer.

Came home to my fixed log splitter in the driveway.

Landscape helper showed up to do some weeding for me, so I'm free to go bid two jobs up the way, one repeat and likely one new customer (referred).

Have a 26 y.o. farm kid showing up for some work tomorrow around my property. See how that goes. Local kid. Easy tasks. He cuts hay during hay-cutting time, so I think that means he runs a tractor/ machinery. Could be promising.

Yay, Coffee!

Dropped off the kiddo at the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge for a summer camp field trip. One mom with no ring is a beaut.

Sold a view-pruning job on the boundary of the NWR. They needed their property view work done (8 fir limbs, maybe 9) before petitioning for a little bit of maple reduction to view Mount Rainier. Wraptored to a 75' re-direct/ PSP with a base-tie. Exactly the top of the view. Very specific and limited scope to try to maintain within the parameters that the NWR might allow the view-easement. It is the top 10' at this point of 5 bigleaf maple trunks, easily accessed by the Doug-fir I just pruned.

Ate lunch, stocked up on PPE and odds and ends and spare parts and maintenance parts.

Sold an easy prune to a repeat customer.

Came home to my fixed log splitter in the driveway.

Landscape helper showed up to do some weeding for me, so I'm free to go bid two jobs up the way, one repeat and likely one new customer (referred).

Have a 26 y.o. farm kid showing up for some work tomorrow around my property. See how that goes. Local kid. Easy tasks. He cuts hay during hay-cutting time, so I think that means he runs a tractor/ machinery. Could be promising.

Yay, Coffee!

Sounds good, Sean. How long you been self employed?

Lots. Don't advertise, hardly. Haven't put signs on the two trucks I got over the last two years, or my car. My chip truck signs have lasted forever, somehow.

This morning, I sold some work to two customers of mine. Former divorcees, remarried to one another, again. New house.

Yesterday, I sold work to two former neighbors, now married. Did work at both of their houses. Was a funny thing in the air, during the decision making, the first go-around.

I went in yesterday, and the now wife, former downhill neighbor, was at the kitchen counter. Cognitive-disconnect. HUH? And they clarified that they are now married, about to put his house on the market, after selling hers, and moving up the way, probably to waterfront, instead of waterview.

Usually curse the phone ringing, unless I have the contact in my caller ID... it's someone random calling for tree work, rather than a referral (they don't leave a VM when I ignore the ringer), or someone for my Google listing.

Now, I tell existing customers that they get a spot in the job queue when they call, so don't worry if I don't get right out to look. I have a pretty solid memory of customers trees, overall, so can discuss what they need a bit.

Doing some work in a Church yard, had a rotten busted out lombardi poplar to dismantle...RIGHT next to a newly refurbished grave with the most amazing slab of sandstone I have ever seen...problem was, the sandstone is worth probably 10x the bid on the job...old camper mattresses were propped up against it, pull rope on all the stems to fell them well away from the grave, spiked up the last 8' of the stump juuust to be sure no stray little stub flipped the wrong way and chipped a corner.
Any damage would have been instantly visible, the slab and headstone and edging are all brand new crisp and sharp edges! Glad to have that one done safely.

I'm playing video games and reading a book and fuckin around on my phone and getting double time. The process kinda runs itself. Thinking about sneaking out to 7-11.

Months of planing worked out good .Got Georgie girl moved in about 8 hours .Picked up the U- Haul in Toledo at 10 AM ,moved out a 12:30 .Drove 85 miles ,had it unload and returned before 6 PM .Had a beer or three after .
That big gas engine in that GMC drank 42 bucks of gasoline in that short amount of mileage ,must have been a V-10 .
I had part of Toms tree crew hired ,3 and a wife and paid them all 150 each and took them to 5 Guys for burgers and fries .When she moved up there 10 years ago she had over 7 grand in the move ,I had less than a thou in it .
Now it will most likely take the rest of the summer to get all the things where they belong,woman thing you know .;)

Back