How'd it go today?

No worries...didn't expect you'd make it on a Friday really.:)

Been talking to a guy in Toledo about doing some collaborating, so I might pop up in that area a few times in the future here anyway...if I get close I'll definitely give you a ring.

Nothing much unless you are a real good kicker and it is a small dog.
It is like kicking a pig.
Bet bet is to slip a hand under their collar if they have one and twist.
Cuts off the blood supply to the brain and renders then unconscious in about 10 seconds.
I've broken up two bad dog fights this way with great succes.
3rd time I tried I managed to choke the dog out but got in the way of the teeth.

When I volunteered as a tracking dog judge, one of the other judges I worked with, had been attacked by a German shepherd and killed it that way.

Well, the things you learn 'round here!

On Friday we were chiipng brush by the road from where a homeowner cut his own trees. When we were almost finished he brings trash bags of branches.

Assuming they would just wrap around the dull chipper blades, I tear them open and dump them in the chipper, throwing the plastic on the yard. Then one bag had trash in it hidden under the sticks: a glass bottle and big metal scissors. So I just tossed that one in the trailer.

I got the feeling he thought the chipper was a garbage disposal as he watched to see what I'd do.

Everyone thinks stuff is magic. A guy had a hard time imagining that I didn't want to grind up his asphalt driveway to get to the root protruding beneath, packed in the gravel base for the, oh ya, asphalt.

Well, didn't get the skid for the truck built, but i got almost all the pieces cut. First chance to work my 72 sa200 a bit, the brushes arent seated fully yet but it's gonna be awesome when they do. Nice dry arc, a bit harsh atm but fully seated brushes will fix that right up. Engine runs very good, and I've chased down all the small leaks and such. Added an alternator to replace the old charging generator, so that took a bunch of time sat. Salvaging angle and channel slows down the process a bit, but it will be worth it when i get it done next weekend. This pic doesn't really show much, but it's what I'm working with... ignore the mess lol.

20180916_122750.jpg

And now for some reason my pics are sideways lol.

A communicator stone? I did that, heavily. Is there another way short of wet seating them? The only brushes that aren't fully down are oversized ones on the negative poles, which are actually for a 300, and are less than a 1/16 just on the tail right now so it's like it has regular brushes atm. Is there something that you use to seat them faster?

I booted a friend of mines sheppherd full swing with steel toed work boot in the ribs. Knocked the wind out of him and I though I could have broken some ribs.

Dumb ass friend/owner watched the dog square off with me, and his son as well. Dog had bit several people before. Wouldn't have any teeth left if it was mine.

Bad thing about booting is you are presenting your leg to them so it sure as hell better count on the first one.

Did not know about the twisting of collar. Hope it never has to be used but good to know.

Our apprentice quit today.
He had decided that logging was not, after all, the right career choice for him.

Bummed me out, I really liked him and he had a lot of flair for the work.

Now we'll have to try to find another good one which isn't easy.

Seems as though you had about a dozen volunteers on this site if you were paying for airfare. That may get you by for a week or two...

A communicator stone? I did that, heavily. Is there another way short of wet seating them? The only brushes that aren't fully down are oversized ones on the negative poles, which are actually for a 300, and are less than a 1/16 just on the tail right now so it's like it has regular brushes atm. Is there something that you use to seat them faster?

No, it should be a brush seating stone. Very soft, it turns to abrasive dust and grinds the brushes down. There are different grades or hardness or softness. A comm stone will condition the commutator or slip rings. Holdens down in the US would have the brush seater. Ask for it by name!

Had a new guy start today. My current employee is back from being sick. Easy job, mostly speed lining, free dropping some, and a bit of lowering. Happy homeowner named Benjamin ;).

Tomorrow we'll do some more work-work. Dead fir wedge overs and pull trees, about 20 to do overall, not tomorrow. See how the new guy does. Worked for his 2 uncles' tree service, who mostly did bucket work, NC rigging, with the rare backyard climbing job. Muni contracts. Has flown a bucket a bit, run a grapple truck a bit. 5 years with them...old school, but ironed up. From Chicago, where buckets reach a good amount of things, and flat flat flat.

Seems as though you had about a dozen volunteers on this site if you were paying for airfare. That may get you by for a week or two...

I suspect that will turn out about as well as all those folks who said they would leave the country if Trump got elected. :P

Fiddler Dave,
That is a good looking bass. Have you been to Elderly instruments in Lansing?
A fellow, David Kornblum, who I knew back when we were like 6 to 8 years old came to my parents day camp (where you generously helped me out with the stump grinding a number of years back).
I only recently reconnected with him on Facebook.
It turns out he worked at Elderly repairing instruments until he retired recently.

Back