How'd it go today?

Burnam, Greg has been cheking in on Facebook. So far, they are ok. I have friends down South that have been evacuated in So Cal for those fires. LA Zoo was evacuated today for a fire down there.
Screen shot of Gregs last post

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181111-181432.jpg
    Screenshot_20181111-181432.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 40
Saw that Paramount Ranch burned:
DrlzMbKX0AAMOld.jpg-large.jpg
https://twitter.com/westworldgifs/status/1061006163435835393

Had to run to Vermeer (30 min away) to pickup a part they had left for us after hours Friday. Back to the workshop, put the hub & pulley back on, adjusted the new bearings, tensioned the belts, ready for a test run: 4' diameter mulberry + root flare. Ahhh, nice to have a viable stump grinder back! Amazing what a difference a well tuned & adjusted machine makes! Done in just over an hour (+ travel time).

Wondering if you'd wanna break some questionable carabiners. I'd be happy to foot the bill. At your leisure of course, I know you got a lot going on these days.

That was you test breaking all those rings 10 years ago, wasn't it?

Bid 16 tree removals between 2 properties...2 solid days apiece...
GRCS will be handy on both... Dead fir tipped with some root plate,50 degrees, into a beautiful madrona (slippery like snot in the rain), and some spreading tree rigging on maples.

I wanna break some new stuff.
I want to try my hand at some hand sewn loop runners and break some, then break 1 or 2 beer-knot runners from same webbing.
Then I want to break some brand new carabiners from a company called Fusion Climb USA. Purely to satisfy my own curiosity of this American company that sells rated gear for 30% less to people who buy climbing gear on Amazon and Ebay.

Idk man, it irks me. I know what it's like to be shopping for gear based on price, and if I was still 20 years old I probably would've bought this stuff.
There's a hugantic chance I'm wrong and it'll all fail way past it's ratings.

Place your ( Hypothetical) bets if you like.

Snowing here, about 2"; lots of cars off the road on the way in to Kansas City this morning. Cold. Worked, took down a locust and an elm. Customer had about a million dollars in cars parked there -- high end Jeep, Maserati, Porsche 911... Probably will work for him again since there's more trees on the property, just off a golf course.

Are cork boots important given the flat terrain?

In PNW they are key given the steep slopes.

Look at that log and tell me you'd like to walk on it on a rainy day. Wet Beech is slippery like it's been soaped.

Interesting question,actually, because as far as I know, there are only 3 loggers here who wear caulks.

Me, and two others who have picked it up from me.

It is not tradition , here.

I learned it in California, and after taking a bad spill off a wet beech log 12 years ago, where the saw went one way, I went the other and it took me about 10 minutes to put Humpty Dumpty together, I said F...!! this shit and since I was going to California that year to teach Karate, I went up to Scappoose OR and had my feet measured for a pair of Wescos.

Once you go caulks, you never go back.

Whenever I wear a pair of non caulked boots in the woods, I'm reminded of " Sometimes a great notion" where somebody says that once you've worn caulks, the ground always seems slippery without.

I'll be going back to Wesco next spring for what will likely be my last pair of caulk boots.

Saying that sure feels weird.

Back