How'd it go today?

That tractor looks like an International model 756 Wheatland with the German 310 Diesel engine.

A former boss of mine had a pounder that would pound an unsharpened railroad tie into gravel.

Fun vid.

Don't you go losing an arm with that farm contraption.

What kinda wood for the posts?

Jim is it S.O.P. to start the pole at an angle and then bring it plumb or was the angled entry to avoid banging the existing fence? Would you start to pound the pole perfectly plumb otherwise?

Thursday was a fun one for us -- 2 large declining pin oaks in a front yard, access blocked by a silver maple with a low canopy and a row of yew bushes. We brought the grapple truck and grabbed off the brush with the grapple, then with slings and craned out the bigger bigger wood. The road was a busy cross street, a main artery between the Interstate and the hospital. We had every cone we had out, along with our "Tree Work Ahead" sign, but people still whipped around the corner and flew by. I was running the winch line on the first tree, sometimes traffic directing when we had to egress the road. A local woodworker was promised the main trunks by the homeowner, so we loaded his trailer with huge trunk logs, 4' diameter, 12' long. After the brush was down on the 2nd tree, I started grinding the first stump. Done in time for pack up -- 2nd stump was left as a planter at 18" high.

Friday I worked a bit more on my attic space conversion, then off to the dentist in the afternoon. 2 temporary fillings to cover the raw nerves, will have to go back for 2 extractions soon.

Its treated pine Cory. Maybe lodgepole?

Ryan, sometimes I like to start them like that so I can get them close enough to the panel. Usually in the center of a panel.

The end posts are easier because the end of the panels swing away and give you room.

That is not an English Walnut, Sean.
Leaves are all wrong.

Stig, Thank You.

Brain fart. Too much going on. Black Walnut, susceptible to 1000 Cankers disease, confirmed in Washington State. I got called about storm damage. Should be interesting to see it up close. I'm doing some 1000 Cankers reading.

Had a decent day for being windy and raining. Almost cut my hinge off on this one
1C82DD2B-3CBA-4C3E-89BA-2AEC213B5BC6.jpg
Got back around 4:30 and flipped chipper blades. Just when I was ready to leave the mechanic decided he needed a hand mounting the welder to his new service truck. It’s lightly used at 80,000 miles.
BD371B47-CFD3-47D6-8748-110CA3ECBD16.jpg 5EF557FB-9B5A-4BE0-9BE1-99985635DF9D.jpg

I had to figure out what was wrong with my geothermal.Cold air on heat cycle .Evidently something happen to the thermostat and it energized the reversing valve causing it to be on cold .Did the simple thing and unhooked the wire . I'll have to get another thermostat --e-Bay --.It's always something .

Axle on my dump trailer snapped today. The end piece that the hub attaches to wasn't welded correctly, very little penetration. It snapped off clean about a block from my house and the wheel almost hit my neighbor's car. I had a load of crushed concrete gravel in it for my driveway with a weight slip showing I was within the rated limits of the trailer (barely). I called the dealer who wasn't any help (again). Then I called the manufacturer who is in Ocala, about 90 miles away. The supervisor said he could replace the axle today if I could get it up there. I dumped the gravel and headed to Ocala. The supervisor looked at the axle and immediately said they would replace them both.

The original axles were made by Rockwell American, who has been bought out by Dexter. The replacement axles were by Dexter.

Tried to strap the axle to help keep it from hanging but it didn't work. Ended up driving it 90 miles with it just hanging. No issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 50
I really don't know about that axle .However I did do some work in a Rockwell axle plant in Kenton Ohio installing machines .In those days the axle spindles were friction welded .Other parts were machine welded using gas and micro wire .Unless things have changed Dexter and Rockwell were both quality products .My machinery trailer which is likely at least 40 years old has two 8,000 pound Dexters .

Back