How'd it go today?

Not a stunning success, but it functions. Issue I have is rope lay on the bollard. Tends to bunch up. May be a tapered bollard, or a rounded thread groove on the bollard to lay the rope. I'll have to check my lathe if it will do 2TPI.

20181011_112912.jpg

20181011_112956.jpg

Did you roughen up the bollard surface? If so, it might be grabbing too much to let the wraps slide up. If you look at Armstrong winches (sailboat ones) they go so far as to cut vertical slots to increase friction but still allow the rope to slide up. The old school capstans on sailing vessels also used the same thing for friction.

2013-06-17 18.45.38.jpg

Great work Peter even if it’s not working quite as hoped. Trial and error. Maybe someone would be kind enough to show a close up pic of the grcs bollard? I’m sure you can come close.

Had a weird day. Sent out to an “emergency” job for the county. 90’ from the road and wet as can be. It was climbable, but not in the time frame. I told them I had to go back to get plywood or drive a half mile to buy new. Either way they were buying it. Nope, they offered to drag the trucks in with an excavator and stay till we were done, plus clean the mud off of the road. They left at 2. At 3 pm I had to borrow their excavator with out permission to drag everything back out. We cleaned the road off even though we were told they would ( hard to do when they left at 2). The place is a mess. Glad they saved $400 in plywood so I can charge them for 3 hours of overtime for the crew plus the extra restoration they’re gonna have. I now know where my tax dollars are spent:X

Bid an enormous (edit)black walnut (thanks for catching that, Stig) that just keeps growing and growing fast. Three, 3'+ trunks. The central most leader broke and lodged. Needs reduction. Seeing breaks and irregularities. Super sprawling. Access is poor. My favorite work tree.

Some climbing, some 50' tow-behind lift work (good first use of the dedicated hitch-plate for the mini, rather than the BMG hitch, as the lift about doubles the mini's weight. A bucket truck would never make it, at least without 4x4 and impact. Perfect use of a spider-lift.

Raining down walnuts while bidding. I didn't have a helmet, so I stood under big trunks, or out of the dripline.

Hope to continue working on this tree. A bigger bid than the past (more work).

May prop and brace a mimosa, too, hopefully. Never propped a tree, properly, before. IMG_20181011_103953766_HDR.jpg IMG_20181011_104734539.jpg IMG_20181011_104737704.jpg

The weather canceled a climb today. Pushed up a clean up planned for Monday. Maple branch broke and fell on residential hydro line, hydro just pushed it off and left it on the custy's yard. Old section of city, on a hill, narrow street and street parking only. Not feasable for custy to keep mulch, about 10 steps up to property from sidewalk. 3/4 yard of chips. Helper and I had no problem dumping bin off side of truck at a community garden. Need some upgrades, but worked out well.
These are the type of jobs I fit into.

20181012_114616.jpg

Back