How'd it go today?

Happy birthday, Jerry.
Glad to see I have some years as a faller ahead of me:)

Happy Birthday ��!!! ������

Rain today. I'd have taken my brushcutter to work, but I messed up my back earlier this week coughing. It went out on the job that got me sick, was finally starting to feel better, and a coughing fit dicked it up again.

Slowly getting better, but bored. I want to do some tree work, but the weather's too hot. Early next week doesn't look too bad, but then it's getting hot again :^S I'll probably work on straightening my ladder I'm using as a guide for my Alaskan mill. It got driven over, and is kinda bent. Since it's otherwise useless, I'd like to keep it as a guide. In a couple weeks, maybe I'll finally get my new 661 in wood. I can only hope...

Rain today. I'd have taken my brushcutter to work, but I messed up my back earlier this week coughing. It went out on the job that got me sick, was finally starting to feel better, and a coughing fit dicked it up again.

Slowly getting better, but bored. I want to do some tree work, but the weather's too hot. Early next week doesn't look too bad, but then it's getting hot again :^S I'll probably work on straightening my ladder I'm using as a guide for my Alaskan mill. It got driven over, and is kinda bent. Since it's otherwise useless, I'd like to keep it as a guide. In a couple weeks, maybe I'll finally get my new 661 in wood. I can only hope...

I made one out of 2x4s, it's good enough, but I haven't used it enough to be sure it's great or if I should get metal rails. I think I put the boards on a jointer, but can't remember. My pile of nice ash logs are now modded saw testing logs instead milling them like the original plan was. Ash is miserably dusty to mill.

DSC09935 (800x628).jpg

DSC09934 (717x800).jpg

I'm gonna have to make 20' boards this fall. Still not sure exactly how I'm gonna handle it. The log will be 36"x20.5', oak. That's gonna be a bear to move without equipment. My current project is an ash log. I think it's 22"x10'. That's for practice setting up and using the mill. Not sure what kind of lumber I'm making with that. Maybe I'll make survey stakes.

Yo, all this milling talk makes me think of 'Mass Wood', which I read a good article about just recently, can't find it now but here's a different one on it. Apparently it has amazing capability and is good re sustainability and climate change; more wood use equals less cement use/green house gasses

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/mass-timber-what-heck-wow

Dropping some dead ash yesterday. Last one was just 18" dia, 60 ft tall. Needed it to drop between some trees on a down slope of a ridge. Face notch was good, slow back cut, wedges worked good, started to go over in the needed direction, back cut opened to 1 inch, damn hinge popped due to punky wood, and tree hung it's self up in some tall spindley maples. Took an hour to set up maasdam and pull it out.

Friday was a washout, turned up, loader, chipper, two trucks.

Started the tree then found a bees nest nearby, couldn’t risk it with my new found serious allergy thing.

Packed it all up and went home.

Back