How'd it go today?

Was it running hot with the one broken fan blade? I’d think not much but sure better to replace before a 2nd one breaks.

Got a broken fan blade on my truck, it’s friggin plastic.

A tad hot seemingly. But I did find a small leak and fixed that as well.
I was more concerned about balance and vibration breaking another blade and having it's way with the water pump bearings

Ya, vibration is a killer. I found a bolt-on, broken motor mount, too, on my Boxer. When it was at the dealer mechanic, he said the other one they had vibrated a lot at certain ranges. Sounded like a poor answer to me.

:lol: Sounds like a good Monday man!!!! Wish i was getting steel!

I left out father in laws house.

Got back from the steel yard and some aluminum sheet followed me home so I had to play with the plasma cutter and the spool gun. I realize I need a lot of practice with the spool gun. So much different than welding steel.

Yup. Straight argon right? That helps ime. After that it's just set wire feed then bump your heat to match. I've done some stick welding of aluminium too, i need to practice but it actually works better than you would think. Just like steel the thicker the easier tho. How thin of al sheet?

Yep straight argon. It's 1/8". I think thicker would have been easier but if I can weld thin thick should be a cake walk. It was going ok at the start and middle but got really hot and out of control near the end of the coupon (4"). Things I learned don't end on a corner or it will melt. And probably the larger project I have in mind will be easier because it will have more heat sink. I wanna make a saw scabbard.

Yup, even with steel i usually won't end on a corner for that reason and arc blow with stick. Try a bit more wire too, that might help. Also get a stainless wire wheel for cleaning right before you weld, i know that helps when tigging it, might not matter for mig. I haven't done a bunch of al mig, but from what I've done it's definitely the easiest way to do it. Tig isn't bad with the right machine, and I've done some pretty cool stuff with it (the carb on my welder for instance), and stick can work fine too, but mig is really easy in comparison.

Got back from Charleston South Carolina Sunday evening about 11 PM .A tad over 12 hour drive .A reunion of the first submarine I was on ,bunch of old coots but still with a lot of orneriness left in them .

So Monday put a few more parts on my old Oliver crawler that was brand new in 1954 .I was brand new in 1948 .The old dozer isn't that easy to find parts for but I manage to by hook or crook .It might last another 60 years for all I know .I might last another 20 but who is to say .Whatever ,it's been a hell of a party and it's not over yet .:thumbup:

Late 60's first sub? Diesel/electric? Nuclear? Fast attack or boomer?

My BIL retired from the Navy as Lt. Commander...enlisted at 17...I learned some lingo from him.

Staked a swale at work, and that only took a couple hours. Went home, made the stupid grass shorter, and staked my rear property line. I have a couple poplars growing back there, and I wanted to be sure they were on my property before taking one or more of them down, They're all on me, so I'll get rid of them when I take the spruce down.

Thank you gentleman!

On a side note the start looked like an slow drawn out globular transfer with cold lap and lack of fusion maybe a two or three second pause before the aluminum got hot enough to wet in. But it's so hot at the end that preheat would melt the whole thing or I just need to move much faster once it's going. More practice I guess.

The International Space Station went directly over my house a little while ago. It was so clear I could see the solar panels reflecting. Very cool.

You wouldn't believe the view of the night sky from a ship in the middle of the ocean. Almost zero light pollution... the only lights on deck are a dull red. EVERYTHING else is starlight!

USS Monitor.....
The Monitor was just a low free board armored gun ship with a revolving two gun turret . It became a submarine once but it never surfaced again .The ones I served on always surfaced else I would not be typing this post .BTW I just got back from a reunion of the first one I served on in Charleston SC .Old farts but still as ornery ,just a little bit slower these days--it happens .

Back