How'd it go today?

Power out here for a couple hours...a bit windy/rainy.

i'd fallen asleep reading and woke up to the dark...flash light and lantern weren't in their regular spots, so had to fumble around & find my phone for enough light to get the oil lamps lit.

The old timers used to be weary of white hooves. Sometimes...not always..you can have trouble with white hooves.

Splits and cracks and such.

Not all white hooves are bad and not all black hooves are good....but sometimes a bad hoof is white.

Has more to do with breeding and genetics.

Mareish? Uhh........well......kinda bitchy actually.

"Bear Trap"...A tree that breaks mid-stem and leans over into another tree in the forest. If a bear comes to that tree for a scratch, rubbing its back on the tree, it can dislodge the top. Ends up like nature's dead-fall trap, sorta, squashing the bear. It is a rare occurrence, but I'm guessing it's been seen in the wild.

The fir was broken at 8', leaning northward. I face-cut it south, backcut on the north side. The broken bit held together somewhat, like the vertical and broken piece were tied together by fibers and friction. The thing folded like a collapsing "Z". The bottom of the Z is the ground. The slanting part of the Z was the vertical 8' stub. The top of the Z is the originally-leaning part having fallen almost to the ground.

Nobody ever told me how to cut one, but with having to un-hang many crew members trees in the Conservation Corps, I quickly realized that directional hinges were way useful for more than felling. When you use a hinge, you can dance the butt around, and even keep pulling the butt away from the tree when 'walking it down' has made it too steep.

I just looked at the 'bear trap' and figures it was like other double-hinging trunk cuts, only rooted, not jabbed into the ground.

Back from my jaunt to Colorado. A long "weekend" turned out to be almost 10 days (just this side of heaven, I like to say). Ostensibly to help out some friends re-do the network in their restaurant and install a business IP phone system turned out to be a pretext to introduce my wife & children to the wonders of the mountains of Colorado. (Previously, eastern Kansas was as far west as they've been.) Stayed with a couple of sets of friends, then at a hot springs resort, did a jaunt in the mountains from Estes Park "down" to Leadville and Buena Vista. Did Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Boulder, etc. I'll see if I can get some pics up in the Picture-a-Day thread.

The crew at home was working around the Lake of the Ozarks in mid-Missouri for a 2-3 day job. Which turned into more work as friends & relatives were turned onto the quality of work, referrals turned into instant work and they wound up being there almost a week and a half. Something of a working vacation for them, since there a cabin to stay at and some friends there with a nice natural foods cafe...

So I arrived home late Monday night, got some rest. Woke up (late) Tuesday to a call to take care of an emergency job 30 min out -- windblown pine down on a fence. All work vehicles gone, all equipment with the crew. I had a minivan and my trusty Echo CS-310. Turned out it was actually a 3 x 30 ft pine removal job, but one went over with the wind. I took it off the fence, bucked up the log and minced up the limbs for kindling. Then felled the other 2 and did the same, giving him a nice wood pile of logs and kindling brush. About an hour and a half on site, not bad flying solo with no real equipment!

Today we were back together as a crew with all the equipment to do a Siberian elm (over a house) takedown in the capital city. Grapple assisted takedown went smooth, feeding smaller picks into the chipper and craning out the bigger wood (40" DBH main trunk) to give away to our firewood friend. Also trimming 2 other elms while I ground the stump -- went fairly fast since the wood was a bit punky. 3.5 hour job + travel time, good way to ease back into the local work together.

I'm just heading to my fourth day of first aid. It's going really well. Got my old truck going last night by vacuum bleeding the clutch system. Had to pump it a couple times this morning to get pressure again, figure it must be leaking that means. But maybe I can limp it through the winter just topping up now and then? Or maybe it'll leave me stranded today. Lol. Rather pull the tranny in the summer when my bike and other truck will be on the road. Just checking in, been busy few days with lots of snow locally too. Now I'm off to spend half the day on my knees. :/:

Good on the first aid training....I have taken First Responder twice and there is a lot of exposure to the biology side of our bodies that keeps us alive. An intricate machine you are hoping to keep alive long enough for the EMTS/paramedics (Like Jim) to take over and get folks to the doctors.

Gary, is First Responder training for plain old civilians?

Just saw you were from near Atlanta.... do you know Peter Jenkins (of Tree Climbers International) who lives around there?

I spent most of the day in the hospital having a lot of tests done.
I've signed up as a guineapig for an experimental treatment, so I'll be closely monitored before, during and after.

The nurse that has been assigned to me for the duration is an extremely sweet gal.................a bit of a silver lining:)

Once home I figured I'll need some reading material if I'm going to spend so much time in the hospital, so I ordered 10 books from a used book site in England.

I love books!

Books are awesome, sweet nurses are awesomer, and extra attention issue dealing with that is most awesome!!

I had started reading some of John Sandford's Virgil Flowers books and wanted to read more.
So I ordered all of them second hand.
It was only $120.

Buying english language books in Denmark is expensive, since they don't sell very many.
Most people prefer reading a translated version which is something I can't stand.

I just read a Norwegian book translated to Danish, because I couldn't find an internet bookstore in Norway that was et up to sell out of the country.

I kept being irritated by translation errors instead of just enjoying the book.

My wife is a librarian, between the advanced copies and her reading speed we end up giving away many books to good homes. I am wondering if something simple could be set up to fill up the shortage.

i've started buying second hand books too more often.
I only know English, but I enjoy (centuries) older books and would almost always rather work through the original version/language/format than rely on somebody's "edited for the modern reader" version.

Nobody buying e books off kindle? I read the collected Sherlock Holmes, a bunch of Burroughs, and am working through the Robert E Howard collection all for under $10. Might not be as intellectually stimulating for some but still cheap like borscht.

I'm sticking with paper for now, might move to e-books later.

I like the feeling of a paper book, it is part of the pleasure of reading.
Just like I get my news from newspapers, not the internet or a TV ( I've never owned a TV).
I really enjoy coming home from work and sitting down to read my newspaper on the couch or in winter in the hottub.
Reading an internet news source wouldn't be the same to me.

Silly, probably.

Back