How'd it go today?

The Swiss have been doing it for ages.
They also tend to focus on defense of those acres of gold bars rather then foreign wars though.

Sounds impossible for the US, but can you imagine?

The free college is still a thing, thank God. After paying for five of my kids to go to college so far, it's nice to get a break from that financial burden. And the IT training he'll receive will land him a six-figure career down the road.

Before I was born my parents wanted to leave Czechoslovakia so that I wouldn't have to do manditory service.

What do I do when I turn 16? Join the army.

He taught me a new for me term: USMC= uncle sam's misguided children

I dont know why many of you say 'good for me' in working him. I need a guy, he was there. No big deal. Hell i worked a russian guy last week, name of igor. Over the phone i asked him if he had a hump lol. I figured a hump would be a deal breaker.
I am an equal opportunity employer, just no humps. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to flush my coolant system in my '95 f350 I'm driving. What a pita. System was long neglected before the friend who had borrowed it all spring and summer topped it off with some volkwsagen coolant or something that didn't jive with what was in it anyways. Multiple flushes, chemical cleaner twice. Replaced a couple of old hoses so far but that's it. I'm hopeful I dodged a bullet and don't end up doing, heater core, rad, water pump, etc.

Good news about driving an old rig like that is tomorrow I'm getting a set of tires and rims for $50. Some guy cleaning up his place. Old and rusty don't matter with hubcaps on them. Lol.

Went to the Vermeer dealer and got a new main shaft for the stump grinder -- previous one was wallowed out on the bearings. Installed it this afternoon so as to be ready for stump grinding next week. One customer with an ash stump is waiting due to a fence installation and another silver maple I only partially ground before the stump grinder went kaput (shaft, bearing, and drive chain all at once!).

That's a legendary engine Squisher, plenty out there with 300,000+ miles.

Can't wait to see the finished kiln Peter. What's the max length it'll take?

Any updates on that worm gear lifting/ lowering device you were building? Might wanna take that bad boy to the patent office :)

Rolled solo. My main man is down sick as a dog.

Overgrown orchard trees, canopy raising some conifers, volunteer maples.

Lots of power pole saw work. Left the mess out of the way until I have a chipper feeder on Monday.

A brutalized Japanese maple for some love, as some gravy. I couldn't take looking at it any longer!

Very inspiring, Peter.

Funny

A certain A_Lopa attempted to register today. I guess he figures if I let Brian back in he could try, also.

Nah. :drink:

I dunno - maybe he got religion and is a changed man?

Personally I like Brett.

Pretty shitty weekend, all told.

First I found out that I can't postpone my chemo till after I come back from the US.
Simply too risky. Any lil' infection may lay me low right now and a big one will be the end of me.
So we cancelled the trip for now and resceduled for 2020. I won't be visiting Burnham, Jim and Jerry and Terri next year...........................I had so been looking forwards to that, frig!
Now we have a ton of airline tickets, car and motorcycle rentals and motel, cabin and Redwood River Resort reservations to talk our way out of.
I talked to the airline saturday, and they are being reasonable about it, hopefully the rest are, too.

Next I get the news that the liver cancer that my best friend has is going to kill him, eventually.
He will get chemo and that will postpone the inevitable for a while, but the end is in sight...............frig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We met each other when we were 13 and have been best friends since.
Very parrallel lives, both of us have travelled extensively in our youth and eventually ended up 10 miles from where we started.
Both of us are married to foreign women.
Now we can sit and hold hands and puke in the same bucket when we enter chemo together.

Life is weird sometimes.

Then, to put the icing on the cake, our 30 year old horse died last night.
Got colicky and before we realized, he had rolled and turned his bowels.
Fortunately the vet was only 15 minutes away, because that sure went pear shaped FAST.

If the vet hadn't made it in time, I would have had to shoot him because he was suffering real bad, and while that doesn't bother me over much, I sure didn't want my wife to have that picture stuck in her mind.
Me killing her good equine friend,. She has had him for 22 years.
He was by far the best dressage horse, I've ever ridden.
He could do dressage at the highest level, WAY beyond my skill set.
As a matter of fact, every time I rode him, I had the feeling, he was laughing at me.

I don't know where we'll go from here.
Buy a new horse or sell our mare and wait till the leukemia shit hopefully blows over and buy 2 new ones.

Crappy weekend for sure.

BTW, it is nice to have a place to share shit like that.
Doesn't make it go away, but being able to put it out in the open, talk about it, sure helps.

That's pretty sucky, Stig. A confluence of bad stuff, a maelstrom for sure.

Just have to whittle at them one at a time...takes a lot of mental energy for sure. I'm sure your working bro's there can help with all the trip changes...don't try to do it all yourself.

Sorry to hear about your friend...long time friends like that are treasures.

Damn Stig. That is a shitty weekend. Tough. Hope things start to go your way more.

I got a cold this weekend and was feeling sorry for myself having to work 12hr shifts with it. Talk about perspective.

Back