How'd it go today?

How about a 16"er? That's 26" of Jap steel right there.

Attachments

• 43086319_10210342169230739_8698539660487426048_n.jpg
    43086319_10210342169230739_8698539660487426048_n.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 41
Like a top thankfully lol. I can't tell a difference (so i don't think anything got damaged), but i haven't had a chance to work it really hard yet. Just a few hours this week was all i used it for, fixing a trailer and one 1 1/4 butt weld for a double meter. Gotta finish the skid this weekend tho, so I'll be able to tell. I was really scared the radiator mechanic messed up the armature running it at 50 percent faster than its supposed to go when he clumsily bumped the governor linkage and still continued to run it even though it sounded like it was about to come apart. So I'll be posting pics this weekend as I'm working on it. I gotta make the lead wells, the bottle racks, something to store the extension cord and torch hose, the tie downs, some mud boot holders, and modify the toolbox so it will fit over the wheel wells. Then a quick paint job followed by firing the crane truck up to lift the machine in place. I need to build either a stiffleg or gantry crane soon to help with some fabricating and to pull the machine easier, so when i get that figured out I'll post that too. An sa 200 weighs about 1300 pounds, so it'll have to be pretty stout.

That's what the skid is for, to hold everything in place in the regular pickup bed till i have time and money to build the actual welding bed.

3 jobs in the Leavenworth area, thankfully not close to the prison!

1). Fell a declining pin oak (mostly a trunk with some dying limbs, chip the brush, leave all wood. Roofline clearance of sweet gum. Then on to the main show: pruning 3 large pin oaks -- lower deadwood, canopy raising (for more sunlight, less debris over an area for a new pool. End weight reduction and powerline clearance as well. Went faster than anticipated with 2 climbers, 2 on the ground. Originally scheduled for a full day, done at 12:30!

2). Clean up a huge mulberry in the back yard -- canopy raising, some deadwood, and trimming up a broken leader. Had to pitch all brush over the back fence and feed the chipper from the alley.

3). Deadwood 2 ashes, light canopy raising over a driveway. It felt like an exercise in futility since they are clearly declining and most likely have EAB. Ah well, we'll be back in a year or so for twin ash removals!

Working on my son's car this morning. 2004 Honda Accord. Replacing two broken motor mounts and the cooling fan assembly. We did all four rotors and brake pads last month. He's learning a lot about cars! And is amazed that dad knows how to do this stuff.

Shop day today. Fixed some spa pumps and while I was waiting for customers I turned some spacers for my winch. Hope to test it out Monday.

20181005_132800.jpg

20181005_152345.jpg

20181005_152359.jpg

You don't cry on the metal, pretty sturdy looking. I like that.:)

Last year, I put a return filter on the hydraulic system for my small chipper (there was none!). Today, the filter cartridge unscrewed itself and drained out a good part of the oil tank. It has a small capacity and that comes quick. Shit.
Hopefully, I was on the grass and not on the driveway. But that sucks.
Driving back home to get new oil, back to the chipper, filling the tank (with no level sight, fun), about one hour of chipping to finish the limbs, all that with only one hour of day light left. Run !
It was really dark when I packed my gear.

The cartridge filter is supposed to be hand tightened. But I guess that the vibrations and the oil's heat messed with it (first time that I run the chipper so hard). How can I make that it stays tight without using a more serious torque?

One of our site trucks has tuck tape tail light covers. Nobody ever knows how they get broken but there's always a guy that'll tape them right quick.

I keep thinking I need bigger bars, stopping at 36"s, currently.

Got a 5' dbh cedar to remove... Bid came in today.

Good to be able to double-cut, plus, I certainly expect the center to be rotten.

Short for it's height, currently with a double top.
Past breakouts, too.

Cool big sweeping limb reiteration that will hopefully be reasonable to transport a big piece across town, staying off the highway, possiby. It will make a badass archway or something.

Couple days work. Mostly dead from drought.

I anticipate a lot more big trees to die with harsh summers 4 years and counting.

Might get some nice mill logs out of it. Maybe get a sawmiller with a slabber attachment.

Rain!

Back